Would you buy a K1600R?

icedfusion

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Moving from a K1300R that has 175hp to a 1250 GSA there are obvious ergonomic, handling and power differences. I really love the ergonomics of the GSA but love the power delivery of the K1300R.

I test rode both the K1600GT and the GSA before deciding which one to buy, but if they did a taller K1600R that was in a similar package to the S1000XR I would have probably gone that route as that 6 cylinder engine........it's like its not even running!
Would you change a GSA for a 1600 engine if it was in a different package than how BMW currently sell it or are you a GS'er for life?

Probably not ;)

When they showed this image many, many years ago - that was the only bike, at the time, that I would have changed my K1300R for.......then, many years later my position changed - hence the GSA now. However, I think BMW missed something by not releasing that bike in a similar form to the masses - I still think they should.

…..it’s like (the 1600) is not even running

There are a whole raft of bikes in the sports ‘Adventure style’ range and another whole bunch in the ‘naked sports’ brochures, each packing very powerful engines, bolted into a very good chassis. As the BMW 1250 GS package isn’t enough for you and the 1600 is just too slow, get yourself off your butt and out for test rides on one or all of the offerings from the competition. This would be instead of wishing that BMW would bolt a 1600 lump into something else and, if they did, assuming it would be any good. Here are four in the ‘Naked sports’ field to get you going. All or any of them will easily outperform a GS/GSA straight out of the box:

7b1f99841b1e841855197572a8b3d362.png

If you are into the whole Top Trumps thing,of them kick out more BHP than the 1600 and the Ducati tops the lot. Though they all lose out to the 1600’s torque value. But of course the 1600 stuffs them all on the weight front.

PS Did you ever crack the tricky problem of strapping a tent onto the top of a GSA pannier?

I did try 2 of those 4 bikes, but since I am 6ft6" and not a skinny chap, those bikes were too small for me. I was thinking that the 1600 engine would mean a larger/taller bike if in an adventure type frame - purely selfish reasons why I think BMW should create it you understand!

I did crack that strapping problem, i took your advice and thought I must be taking too much. So will take off the panniers and put everything in a plastic bag and cellotape that to the side instead, be a real man about my touring and tell anyone who needs panniers they are taking too much!

OK you tried the naked bikes, too small. What about the powerful engined, fake ‘Adventure’ bikes. Similar sized to the weedy powered GS / GSA bikes but with oodles of power to suit your manly frame.

My advice? My advice was to get your mitts on the free BMW straps. It was other bods that suggested you leave your sling backs behind.

Back
Top Bottom