Can anyone suggest place to stay near Eindhoven?

dp66

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all,

Myself and a few mates are planning a 'Operation Market Garden' trip to the Netherlands next year. Given the relatively compact scope of places we wish to visit, we're looking for a place we can use as a base. Ideally close to Eindhoven, safe parking for the bikes, preferably a bit out of town/self catering.

Anyone have either direct recommendations or resources I can use to try and hunt down something suitable. I'm already using the obvious booking.com, airbnb etc

Many thanks

I stayed at Holiday Inn Express in Arnhem a few years ago. Centre of the town, minutes from good restaurants and bars, covered and secure parking on hotel site.
Short walk to the John Frost bridge.

I too have stayed in the centre of Arnhem, but I was at Hotel Centraal.
Marvellous place, but there was only the small side service alleyway to park my bike. Had no problems though.
It was great to be able to walk straight into and around the town.

Make sure you go to the Airborne museum at Oosterbeek.

Sorry I have no recommendations for accomodation as I stay with a friend in Eersel but can also recommend a visit to the Airborne Museum at Oosterbeek and the Airborne at the Bridge museum.

There are some Dutch guys on the forum who will hopefully give you some advice.

Kimbo

I'd avoid Eindhoven itself simply because there are much nicer places to stay around and about especially if your with bikes but then it depends what you want really. If indeed you want to be close to the night life bars etc then find somewhere close the Centre of Eindhoven. Most big chains will have parking. Eindhoven has a pretty good nightlife and bar scene.
Alternative is one of the quieter villages surrounding the city there is probably something a lot cozier. Also remember getting in and out of Eindhoven as a city is going to take time because of traffic. I'd personally try Roermond and surrounding area. About 1/2 ride from Eindhoven and quite a nice smaller town

Eindhoven is a dull as ditchwater. If it were not for Philips the place would not exist. Do as GrantMac says and stay elsewhere. Nobody will steal your bike and the hoteliers will all be friendly.

Was there any reason behind choosing Eindhoven? or was it just a random large conurbation where you stuck your pin in the map.

Looking at the OMG area, we have enjoyed stays at both the Van der Valk Hotels at Arnhem itself as well as Duiven east of the town. We also liked the Mercure, near the Station in Nijmegen Centre.

However, nowhere is far in NL. Smaller towns, such as Apeldoorn or Deventer would provide an alternative centre, with plenty to explore nearby.

Guys, thanks for the replies and I'll check out the suggestions. I should have been a bit clearer; we don't want to stay in Eindhoven and yes, it was just a pin in the map, sort of central to the areas we want to visit. We've found a couple of potential places, barn converted holiday places that we can rent for a few days as a central base and ride out from there.

As a bunch of old g*ts, bars and nightlife is something we left behind 30 years ago.

good then might I suggest the following now that we are clear bars and nightlife are not important. Stick clear of ALL big cities in NL. Traffic is a nightmare as is parking and getting through the narrow streets. If you're looking for somewhere good also avoid the big chains; impersonal and food is lousy. Dutch are not known for the cuisine at the best of times. My recommendation therefore is to head further north towards Arnhem and find a quiet hotel along one of the rivers. There will be lots to chose from so i wont go into any particulars. Suiting all budgets. This is the sort of area i mean:

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 106
Where we stayed for one night on the way to Lubeck on the German Baltic coast. We caught a bus into the town, from right outside the hotel.

https://goo.gl/maps/gUfxnsMm47dwg4eh6

http://restauranttrix.nl/

I picked it at random by just dotting about in lists of hotels in the town. It looked OK, so I gave it a go. I wasn’t disappointed. I’d stay there again, for a longer stay if I wanted to visit the museums.

booking.com is your friend - read the reviews and search on parking

and take a peak on streetview if available to get a feel for the local ambience, and access as this can be comical in some places especially in very old places with steep cobbled streets.

as Wapping has posted, don't worry too much about being out of the centre as Google Maps gives you bus/tram schedules and shows the nearest stop.

Back
Top Bottom