CB300R info anyone?

Dirty Ming

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm after a small capacity very light sub 160kg ideally) street bike for my wife and occasionally myself as a back road tool, whilst my Duke is kept for more longer rides.
She has a full licence but hasn't ridden regularly for 20 years and didn't get on with the CB500 I bought for her earlier in the summer, as she found it still too heavy.
They seem to be popular abroad but can't find out much about them over here, so has anyone owned or even ridden one who can give me any info as to what it's like? Local dealers don't even stock them. It's looking like either a CB300 or possibly a Svitpilen 401,which I also can't find anyone having ridden in the UK!

And no, she doesn't like the 390 Duke, which was my first suggestion.... P

I believe it's basically the same engine as the CRF300? I know some CRF guys put the CBR camshaft in the CRF hoping for more power... The CRF is a solid reliable engine unit, I have one as do a few others on here. The CRF is OK on the road, but definitely not fast. It's pretty forgiving but not as smooth as the z650 (see below) for low-revs work...you need to keep it over 3000 rpm to stop it "lugging"

We're tried a few bikes for my GF, her issue is not so much the weight as the seat height. She had a z650 for a while which she found very easy to ride. All plans on hold now as she's taken a 3-year contract in Dubai.

We're thinking of going with a Piaggio MP3 when she gets home. The one where you can lock the bike vertical at walking speed so she never has to worry about feet-down or weight, (or gears) so that she can gain experience and confidence again before going for another mid-capacity bike (probably another z650 or similar). She's about 5' 4". Also I quite fancy giving a MP3 a go - great for me to run local errands ;)

normal_z650.JPG

How about a Yamaha MT 03?

My wife has a Duke 390 (old model), and I think the Yamaha is a better bike.

In an ideal world I'd have a Fantic Caballero 500 but they're still a bit pricey for a second bike. Something I can put dual sport tyres on and have some fun in the back lanes of Dartmoor, which is local. Can't imagine doing rough tracks and gravel with a Z650 unfortunately. I've seen a few CB300's and Svartpilens on TKC80s etc but they're all in the Far East or Scandinavia, where they seem to be popular

One of my ex colleagues downsized from a Honda Crossrunner to a CB300R. He has been up to Scotland on it and sits at 70 on motorways with no bother. He loves it. They are quite rare I believe.
A more common, and cheaper, alternative might be the Suzuki GW250. I ran one for a while and was really impressed with it.

Back
Top Bottom