Nav 6 connecting to Apple MacBook with M1 chip

MondoRich

Reaction score
Afternoon

As we're not watching the football :okay

I can't get my new MacBook Pro (M1 chip) to "see" my Nav 6 using the genuine Garmin lead and a genuine apple USB to C connector.

There's a few things on the internet, some conflicting and I wonder if anyone has had any success or difficulties here?

Many thanks in advance

Rich:beerjug:

My Nav VI has just been delivered. I've plugged it in to my M1 MacBook Pro via a Dell hub and a generic USB lead, and it Just Works™. I can see it as a mounted device in Finder, and Garmin Express picked it up straight away.

Brilliant!!! Is there any chance of a link to the dell hub so I get the right one?

Many many thanks in advance

Rich

Sure. it's one of these:
https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/del...ort-adapter-da310/apd/470-aeup/pc-accessories

Looks like you can pick them up cheap on eBay.

The only trouble I've had with the hub is that it seems to be fussy about which way up its USB-C[SUP]*[/SUP] connector is plugged into the MacBook, and decides not to activate the HDMI and Ethernet sockets. I've marked the preferred orientation so I know which way up the connector should be.

[* Yes, I know USB-C connectors are meant to be rotationally symmetrical]

Hi Eddie

That just took me to a laptop page sadly

Is it this??

Thanks Rich

Dell 6-in-1 USB-C Multiport Adapter -
DA305
4.1 (345)
£95.92

Intel mac to MacBook m1

Hello all i have been using MRApp for years and i am very good at it.i now have a m1 MacBook Pro .which will not find garmin express. So What usb c hub do i buy to get it to work through a standard usb to a new usb c hub .the cost varies from £25 to £140 . But which will work all help i will be gratefull Digger john

This Dell one above is £98 at Amazon which is a huge price for a hub sadly. I’ve spoken to Alex at Garmin and over many conversations this issue has been escalated to their development and technical team.

I think the problem partly stems from the inadequate baked in Apple USB controller. If you use an external USB hub, it usually has its own USB controller, therefore bypassing the built in Apple one.

Would the 660 (which I have) act in a similar way to the Nav 6 (which I don't) d'ya think? I'll try a couple of USB C to A hubs I have over the holidays to see if they work...

mi still not working

I think the problem partly stems from the inadequate baked in Apple USB controller. If you use an external USB hub, it usually has its own USB controller, therefore bypassing the built in Apple one.

Would the 660 (which I have) act in a similar way to the Nav 6 (which I don't) d'ya think? I'll try a couple of USB C to A hubs I have over the holidays to see if they work...

I just punched two micro usb to usb c type to plug my nav 6 directly to MacBook m1. nothing so a hub comes next

Back
Top Bottom