Clearing old maps off a PC

RSInterloper

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have started you a fresh thread on the topic.

Richard

I'm actually happy with my Garmin devices :p as far as their navigation operation is concerned, but I have just come across a rather annoying "feature" of the software... I use a fairly old Surface Pro laptop when travelling, with Basecamp and the latest maps installed on it. Whenever a new map update comes out I uninstall the previous version. The Surface has only a 250GB SSD and I try to keep clutter to a minimum.

Recently, however, I noticed that I only had about 4GB left on Drive C :barf - WTF is going on I thought? Cleaned up the disk, uninstalled a few progs I seldom use, even took off MS Office to see if that would help, but all to little avail. A bit of Googling led me to a handy free prog called "Treesize Free" - a quick install of that revealed that the Garmin folder under Program Data was taking up 175GB !!!! WTF indeed :blast

I've deleted the Garmin folder and will start again as if a new user - after I've re-installed Office etc. A quick check on my main PC reveals that Garmin is also occupying 175GB of this drive, but I hadn't noticed because it's so much bigger. If all goes well on the laptop I'll delete it here as well.

Apologies if this has been reported before but I reckon it's worth repeating and might save someone else a bit of hair pulling and head scratching...

Merry Christmas!

Recently, however, I noticed that I only had about 4GB left on Drive C :barf - WTF is going on I thought? Cleaned up the disk, uninstalled a few progs I seldom use, even took off MS Office to see if that would help, but all to little avail. A bit of Googling led me to a handy free prog called "Treesize Free" - a quick install of that revealed that the Garmin folder under Program Data was taking up 175GB !!!! WTF indeed :blast

A quick look at my laptop and only 110+GB used, it's in the Garmin - CoreService - downloads - maps and interestingly seems to have maps that don't show in BaseCamp or in the Apps & Features part of settings.

Recently, however, I noticed that I only had about 4GB left on Drive C

I never install maps, or any programmes on the C drive if possible.
If a map is on C, copy it to where you would like it to be. From there you can create a shortcut in the original dir: C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps).
Rename the map in the original location so basecamp cant see it. Start BC. If all is AOK and the map is found, deleted the renamed version,

"maps that don't show in BaseCamp or in the Apps & Features part of settings."

Just checked this PC and that folder has all the maps going back to 2018, even though they were supposedly uninstalled :green gri

I only have Drive C on the Surface so not a lot of choice, although there is an SD card slot. But not a problem now that I've discovered what was filling it up...

for anyone with this issue maps are normally stored here on a windows pc C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps.

Garmin Map Manager app can be of help to those who need help

I delete my old Garmin maps off of my PC by using the stock windows uninstall function. I only ever keep the latest map on my pc.

If you want something that gets rid of all the registry entries and odd file that get left around, get REVO Uninstaller.

I delete my old Garmin maps off of my PC by using the stock windows uninstall function. I only ever keep the latest map on my pc.

That's what I thought I was doing - I suggest you check the size of your Program Data - Garmin - CoreService - Downloads - Map folder if you've been downloading the latest maps for a few years.....;)

That's what I thought I was doing - I suggest you check the size of your Program Data - Garmin - CoreService - Downloads - Map folder if you've been downloading the latest maps for a few years.....;)

blimey, stuff from 2019 & 2020 that I assumed had been deleted was taking up 40GB. I wonder how much was taking up space on my old Samsung SSD? I stopped using it as the SSD had got too full. Might have had a few more months or years use out of it!

FFS - 148 fcuking gigabytes in that fcuking folder. That twat who let that bug slip through needs a beating

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 56

Back
Top Bottom