Nauders (Austria) to Amsterdam Ferry Terminal

Cochem and Bitburg are both nice places to stay over on the night before the ferry. I've stayed in both and used the Ijmuiden ferry for the return journey.

Stayed in Bernkastel Kues, and other random places in the Mosel (Mulheim an der Mosl, Zell, etc) and never had problem getting to Ijumuiden in good time for the ferry. Leave around 0900, an hour to the A60 / E42 motorway and then a steady run to the ferry. The Dutch motorways usually jog along quite steadily - l filter if needed.

Stayed in Bernkastel Kues, and other random places in the Mosel (Mulheim an der Mosl, Zell, etc) and never had problem getting to Ijumuiden in good time for the ferry. Leave around 0900, an hour to the A60 / E42 motorway and then a steady run to the ferry. The Dutch motorways usually jog along quite steadily - l filter if needed.

This is what I am thinking. Surely if we get on the road by 08:00-08:30 from Bernkastel Kues, then we would have plenty of time to get to Ijumuiden for the 17:30 ferry?

Wapping is a far more experienced traveller than I, but perhaps not in this particular neck of the woods?
However, the 'direct' route ie, Google, between Bernkastel and Ijmuiden is 256 miles, and Google thinks it will take 4 and a half hours driving . Experience tells me that the approaches to Amsterdam/Ijmuiden can be horrendous, particularly with the new Dutch blanket speed limit of 62 mph. The DFDS check-in latest is 4.45 pm.
Of course it is do-able, but I would rather be a bit closer, and give myself time to relax and have the admirable fish and chips next door to the dock at Ijmuiden. Much cheaper than eating on the boat!

I’d be happy pushing my luck if it was the later crossing you get at the Hoek but a teatime one means you’re in peak traffic for a lot longer and that leaves more room for hiccups. For a 256 mile journey at that time of the day I’d be leaving no later than 9am to allow for a fuel stop and if it’s all going well you can stop and get some lunch rather than having to filter like a maniac with luggage making finding gaps a lot harder.

We could get up proper early that day and hit the road by 7-7:30 which would leave us loads of time.

We could get up proper early that day and hit the road by 7-7:30 which would leave us loads of time.

I admire your optimism thinking you can have a last night away then still get up, load the bikes and be away that early.

after a night on German beer, or rosé Mosel wine if @Doc?

I love an optimist

:beerjug: No drinking the night before and you will be fine. That's from Cochem to Rotterdam.

This is what I am thinking. Surely if we get on the road by 08:00-08:30 from Bernkastel Kues, then we would have plenty of time to get to Ijumuiden for the 17:30 ferry?

It really is incredibly easy. Can you and your five mates, ride 250 miles from A to B (along the roads that you chose) and be in time for the check-in to catch your ferry home?

If the answer is yes, then do it.

If the answer is no or you are really not sure, then do something else. Or don’t.

That answers your question.

I’m chuckling now the reality checks have been thrown on the table. All sensible.

Ijmuiden is the only port I’ve ridden through - several times - and have a real preference for a shortish ride on the last day.

Often with a break at Oosterbeek (Arnhem front line museum) with a nice cafe or two.
And/or a coffee in wee cafe a couple of hundred yards from the gate.

DFDS will start boarding early afternoon and the check in Q can be variable speed wise.

I like to be changed and leaning on the rail with a beer watching the late stragglers.

I’m chuckling now the reality checks have been thrown on the table. All sensible.

I like to be changed and leaning on the rail with a beer watching the late stragglers.

And I also have done exactly that, watching a group of bikers arrive at the locked gate below when they had left themselves too much to do...

I don't like to go back to places I have stayed, but...

https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/ro...ty&srpvid=34093515084c0230&srepoch=1671694381

is an exception I am pleased to make on our return journey's.

And I also have done exactly that, watching a group of bikers arrive at the locked gate below when they had left themselves too much to do...

I don't like to go back to places I have stayed, but...

https://www.booking.com/hotel/de/ro...ty&srpvid=34093515084c0230&srepoch=1671694381

is an exception I am pleased to make on our return journey's.

Now you’ve done it. To stay there for the last night, will require the bod and his chums, rethinking their entire return journey’s legs :D

:beerjug:

Sorry!

But, as ever, there is no right or wrong answer.....as you said before, only the op will be able to judge what they think is doable or desirable.....and deliberating over this sort of conundrum is part of the joy of planning journeys isn't it?

Sorry!

But, as ever, there is no right or wrong answer.....as you said before, only the op will be able to judge what they think is doable or desirable.....and deliberating over this sort of conundrum is part of the joy of planning journeys isn't it?

Nobody should ever plan anything. “Wing it, mate” should be the banner under which all bikermates should fly. I read it here.

Sorry!

I agree with you wholeheartedly

In years gone by, I have done Freudenstadt to Zeebrugge or Freiburg to Zeebrugge, leaving at 8am and arriving at 3pm in Brugge for a coffee ….for a 5pm check in plenty of times and more often than that solo

It’s a long slog, maybe in hindsight a bit stupid as one hiccup would mean not getting on the ferry (breakdown or heavy traffic)

For a first timer like the OP and in a group, definitely stay closer to the homeward ferry

Sorry!

....and deliberating over this sort of conundrum is part of the joy of planning journeys isn't it?

Exactly Gerard!

Mid June I'm riding around north Spain with a few from here and then in mid September I'm doing a similar area with a few fellow Ducati riders ( very strange considering I usually do all my bike tours alone!)

I intend to visit Canfranc Station , Segovia and a few other places - now should I do them in June or September or both or??????????????????????????

Probably June, maybe, and maybe September too but from mid / lower Portugal instead of northern Spain.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Plus, I'm liable to change my mind at a local road junction if a different road looks appealing.

Think I'll just wing it, as usual.

Back
Top Bottom