Insurance for a BMW post servo & abs removal

fred22

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
BMW in their wisdom built an awful lot of bikes with servo assisted Abs brakes. It seems like a huge amount of these servo units have failed, and been bypassed.
I would be very interested in speaking to one of the people on this forum who have had a bike like this, declared this "modification" to their insurer and continued to have cover.
I asked Bennett's if they would consider insuring me in these circumstances. They said they would discuss with my underwriter. I realised just how ridiculous and unlikely it must have sounded to them "well, the servo is removed from the brake system to avoid brake failure and that means the Abs no longer works either. No, BMW don't do this and wouldn't warrant it. Yes, it's a modification to the braking system by someone else other than the manufacturer.."
No wonder they have not got back to me

BMW in their wisdom built an awful lot of bikes with servo assisted Abs brakes. It seems like a huge amount of these servo units have failed, and been bypassed.
I would be very interested in speaking to one of the people on this forum who have had a bike like this, declared this "modification" to their insurer and continued to have cover.
I asked Bennett's if they would consider insuring me in these circumstances. They said they would discuss with my underwriter. I realised just how ridiculous and unlikely it must have sounded to them "well, the servo is removed from the brake system to avoid brake failure and that means the Abs no longer works either. No, BMW don't do this and wouldn't warrant it. Yes, it's a modification to the braking system by someone else other than the manufacturer.."
No wonder they have not got back to me

Good point re -insurance. Most i suspect do not declare. If you purchased this 2nd hand - you could plead ignorance unless you are a bike mechanic by trade.
All you know is the bike has a valid MOT - so declare no modifications in good faith.

The same could apply to hidden remaps, removal of catalytic converters, etc .Bigger/smaller sprockets etc.
If however you owned from new.....

As the vehicle was available in both ABS and Non ABS

Removal of the Faulty ABS system is not a crime

Just tell them that it has been converted to a standard NON Abs model of the same age using all standard BMW parts! :rob

One of the reasons I always use the Alloy brake "manifold"

Standard part as fitted = No comeback ! :rob

Back
Top Bottom