Santander to Algeciras

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
I'm looking at putting together and April trip to Morocco for some mates and need a 2 day route from Santander to Algeciras.

Bear in mind this will be early April and still a bit chilly in Northern Spain, has anyone got a decent 2 day route for this part of the trip?

650 miles minimum, give or take. Two days, gives 325 miles a day minimum for, I assume, a group that knows how to ‘get on’ and not faff about. Type of bikes, unknown.

It is very nearly a straight line down, north to south. Look at something like:

Santander > Palencia > Avila > Pennarroya > Osuna > Ronda > Algeciras

When we did the Moroccan dash at Easter, we went roughly Biarritz to Algeciras in a day. But we were rufty-tufty back then. We used the motorways, which is though a heinous crime, which (if anyone knew) would see us thrown out of the Brownies and cast into the fires of eternal damnation.

PS The weather will be, what the weather will be.

650 miles minimum, give or take. Two days, gives 325 miles a day minimum for, I assume, a group that knows how to ‘get on’ and not faff about. Type of bikes, unknown.

It is very nearly a straight line down, north to south. Look at something like:

Santander > Palencia > Avila > Pennarroya > Osuna > Ronda > Algeciras

When we did the Moroccan dash at Easter, we went roughly Biarritz to Algeciras in a day. But we were rufty-tufty back then. We used the motorways, which is though a heinous crime, which (if anyone knew) would see us thrown out of the Brownies and cast into the fires of eternal damnation.

PS The weather will be, what the weather will be.

That's about it!

If there is only a few of you, it might be worthwhile looking to hire a big van or two (maybe in Santander) loading the bikes in and driving down, perhaps?

Equally, there is sometimes something to be said for having them freighted from the UK by road, with the party then flying down to Algeciras (or wherever) to meet the bikes. This is particularly true if the real main purpose of the jaunt is to rip up Morocco.

PS How are you coming back?

:coold:coold

:beer:

If there is only a few of you, it might be worthwhile looking to hire a big van or two (maybe in Santander) loading the bikes in and driving down, perhaps?

Equally, there is sometimes something to be said for having them freighted from the UK by road, with the party then flying down to Algeciras (or wherever) to meet the bikes. This is particularly true if the real main purpose of the jaunt is to rip up Morocco.

PS How are you coming back?

Or even flying down south, say Agadir, and hiring from there. Morocco's a huge place!

Ferry for my trip in September 2023 arrives into the Santander at 15:00 so I am looking a 3 hours odd push to Salamanca. Working on the thought that the restaurants won't be open till late.

Next day is via the Sierra de Francia, Alcantara, Alberquerque, Jerez de los Caballeros, and then night stop an Seville.

Net day is via the E5 to Jerez de la Frontera and then the "N" roads via Tarifa to Algeciras.

Above is roughly 2 days as you'll arrive at Algeciras in about 3 hours riding, blasting down the motorway from Seville all the way shows as a couple of hours.

I'm looking at putting together and April trip to Morocco for some mates and need a 2 day route from Santander to Algeciras.

Bear in mind this will be early April and still a bit chilly in Northern Spain, has anyone got a decent 2 day route for this part of the trip?

is it April the 1st ?

Hi Chris,
If the weather is OK it would be a shame not to do a good road through the Picos. Perhaps the N621 to Leon? Then as Wapping suggests, dual carriage way south A66 / E803 to Seville. Or more slowly head down from Leon to Avila, then head directly south on some excellent mountain roads, take your pick heading south. If you have just the one overnight from the ferry, the dual carriageway makes sense. If you want a slower route south from Avila let me know.

Looks like there will be a group of around 6 of us all on ADV bikes.

Everyone is happy to hit some mileage to get there so 2 days is perfect.

We'll probably do a few twisties through the Picos and then blast is south on the bigger roads.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Looks like there will be a group of around 6 of us all on ADV bikes.

Everyone is happy to hit some mileage to get there so 2 days is perfect.

We'll probably do a few twisties through the Picos and then blast is south on the bigger roads.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

My take as Morocco is the main objective, get south, hit the motorway down through Salamanca and Saville.
Keep 2 days in your itinerary for emergencies in Morocco and if you don't need them 'spend' them on the way back either in Andalucia or the Picos.

I've done different back road routes both south and north solo and it's gruelling through Spain although brilliant and worthy of a separate trip :)

I've done this in a hot summer, on the motorway, and it was unpleasant. Santander, o/n in Salamanca, o/n in Seville and then I was onto Marbella.

I've also done the Madrid route which is equally as bad. Stay south of Madrid and from there down to the south coast in a oner. You get in about 5-6pm. If its April this should be fine.

We did Santander to Caceres ( which is a World Heritage site ). I tend to think if you are going to stay somewhere then if you find a nice place it usually has a better choice of places. If you are travelling in a group, something for everybody.
The following day we had enough time to have a look at Gibraltar before catching the ferry at Algeciras. Ticked another box.

We did Santander to Caceres ( which is a World Heritage site ). I tend to think if you are going to stay somewhere then if you find a nice place it usually has a better choice of places. If you are travelling in a group, something for everybody.
The following day we had enough time to have a look at Gibraltar before catching the ferry at Algeciras. Ticked another box.

Caceres is a superb stop-over. If you can afford it the Parador there (a Conquistador's Residence) is sublime. Made my ride down from Santander on a 690 Enduro (en route to Morroco via Tarifa) a highlight of the route through Spain. Highly recommended.

IMG_5994.jpg
Thanks for the recommendation wherever it came from. Caceres is a real gem. I am very impressed. Sitting in the square in Caceres after a long hot lazy 2 day ride down from Bilbao. We are staying in the Grand Hotel Don Manuel that very usefully has an underground car park for €8 a night. They keep the bike spaces next to the elevator so an easy draw from the bikes to the room with all her shoes etc. ( ffs 4 pairs) stunning ride across EX208 where we had a hugely impressive natural exhibition by the eagles on high. Rocked along EX390 to bring us here. First stop this morning was Toro east of Zamora and well worth a stop over if only for the wine. ( it will have to be next time). The Easter pageantry has been a sensation.
ab28665a3d6dbdb3c668ffb34e3d57c1.jpg

You’ve got it all wrong Chris, just ride through the night ;)

Another one here for Cáceres, it really is a gem. I’ll see if I can dig out some photos.

Wherever you decide to go, have a great time...:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom