Getting to the Falklands??

Yes I have been on that flight a couple of times

Only once through choice though. That was for a guided tour.

Unless you have a specific interest, such as remembrance, it’s a fucking shit hole

A fair point

I only passed through so 3 days in total and from what I saw it was like all the worst bits of Scotland without the charm
Like I said I was only there 3 days in Total as it was a staging post for South Georgia so I could well have missed out on some nice bits

I was there several times, the last being two days before it was invaded but that's a whole other story.

Prior to that, yes the 40 squaddies who had nothing to do except get pissed at Moody Brook may have thought it a shithole but that says more about them than the place.

On one 2 week stint, a few of us were collared to play rugby for Port Stanley against the marines as they couldn't raise a team!
We also got collared to paint the Catholic church, although there were a few mishaps with the paint :D

CNV00017-X3.jpg

CNV00018-X2.jpg

As I recall, there were two 'Ladies of the Night' with one known as The Yellow Submarine :D

CNV00026-X3.jpg

CNV00020-X3.jpg

'The' shop.
CNV00019-X2.jpg

'Our Boat' registered in the Falklands

CNV00015-X3.jpg

I was there several times, the last being two days before it was invaded but that's a whole other story.

Prior to that, yes the 40 squaddies who had nothing to do except get pissed at Moody Brook may have thought it a shithole but that says more about them than the place.

On one 2 week stint, a few of us were collared to play rugby for Port Stanley against the marines as they couldn't raise a team!
We also got collared to paint the Catholic church, although there were a few mishaps with the paint :D

As I recall, there were two 'Ladies of the Night' with one known as The Yellow Submarine :D

Fancy posting pictures of churches and ships and decorators - a photo of a yellow submarine wudda bin far more interesting :D
I'm a sucker for dramatic scenery wherever it is in the world but, apart from some technical navigational/seamanship challenges in various locations, the place is really unremarkable in the extreme. Lots of oil resources though...
I think I have one solitary photo of my time spent there.

Not so long as my arse has a hole, could I recommend that place as a holiday destination…

Yes should've realised the photos were wasted on you but I really can assure you, you don't want to see any photos of the Yellow Submarine..... Her name? something to do her complexion and ability to go down.....and perhaps everyone lived there :D

Your photo back catalogue is quite something Tim, my camera capture exploits only ever amounted to capturing one or two pictures from any one destination. I once managed to get the sum total of three continents on to one film and half of them were at home to finish the film off. Keep them coming.

I flew there about 20rs ago by tri star. about 19hr flight with a stop at ascension island. good flights good service by RAF crew and films on board. Only issue was the fights could be delayed at the drop of a hat. I'm sure that's sorted now though. Every now and again there was a flight from chille that flew in so that's another possible route. Great scenery and great walks

I once met a young French couple who sailed their 14m aluminium yacht to Antarctica. As winter approached they hauled the centre board boat up onto the ice and set off on skis with their climbing equipment to do what Frogs do in the depths of an Antarctic winter …

Two seasons later they sailed north to the Falklands and spent the next two years investigating every nook and cranny of the east and west coastlines. That done they sailed for Capetown and to be met by a line of gentlemen in assorted uniforms who were quite interested in what they had extensively logged - especially as the Argentinians had invaded the previous week!

The yacht’s name was Isatis (Arctic Fox) - I have forgotten their names but their son’s was Jeudi as he was born on a Thursday in a small cove off West Falkland!

Attachments

• C3871C29-388B-4715-B877-EAF065DB1563.jpg
    C3871C29-388B-4715-B877-EAF065DB1563.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 64

Back
Top Bottom