Getting to the Falklands??

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was having an idle beer or 6 with an old mate this week. He's about to depart for Antarctica for a while.

We were pondering whether it might be interesting to gather a couple of the lads and hike from Port San Carlos on the western side of East Falkland, across the island (possibly via Goose Green) to Stanley.

The initial question is around getting to The Falklands. This currently seems to be the best (only) option -

The Ministry of Defence, UK, operates twice weekly flights from Brize Norton in Oxfordshire, directly to the Falklands with a refuelling stop in Cape Verde. Flights leave the UK on Sundays and Wednesdays. Return flights depart the Falklands on Tuesdays and Fridays. Civilian passengers can book seats on these flights via the Falkland Islands Government Office in London.​

Has anyone flown on this service, or can recommend an alternative?

Paul G

Cruise ships stop in, but only for day.

My nephew, attached to the Irish Guards, is in the Falklands at the moment, along with (somewhat bizarrely) a whole bunch of bods from the Fijian army. The flights from Brize Norton are sometimes delayed, due to ‘technical issues’. The only things down there:

One tree (at an almost horizontal angle, see point three below)
Penguins
The wind
A stink of some sort
A whole bunch of broken down Royal Navy ships

But he is in the Triathlon team. This time last year he was skiing.

I was having an idle beer or 6 with an old mate this week. He's about to depart for Antarctica for a while.

We were pondering whether it might be interesting to gather a couple of the lads and hike from Port San Carlos on the western side of East Falkland, across the island (possibly via Goose Green) to Stanley.

The initial question is around getting to The Falklands. This currently seems to be the best (only) option -

The Ministry of Defence, UK, operates twice weekly flights from Brize Norton in Oxfordshire, directly to the Falklands with a refuelling stop in Cape Verde. Flights leave the UK on Sundays and Wednesdays. Return flights depart the Falklands on Tuesdays and Fridays. Civilian passengers can book seats on these flights via the Falkland Islands Government Office in London.​

Paul G

This wont help but when i flew down there it was BA Jumbo jet with 120 Bods on board ...

It was the first BA Charter to FI and BA had not learned that Long Haul flights with free drinks were not a good idea when flying Squaddies

Interesting that they now re fuel at Cape Verde as it was Acension when i went

Paul G

my dad used to fly this route in a VC10.

Only anyone after have a beer or 6 would think going there is a good idea lol

Think i would prefer somewhere warmer :)

You can one way sail there if you have the time and money, there's a couple of classic sailing boats that have it as the embarkation/disembarkation port from where you can fly in/out to Punta Arenas and connect back to Europe.
Port Stanley was the next port after we disembarked for a sailing trip we did from Ushuaia a few years back.

You can fly from Punta Arenas in the south of Chile. I did this about 30 years ago, the plane was a Twin Otter and on the way back a head wind meant the flight took about 5 hours. The pilot himself came into the departure lounge and told us all to go to the loo before boarding as there was no toilet on board. I believe the flights are now operated by LATAM who use an Airbus that does it in about 1 1/2 hours.

Hopefully they still do bull riding there :blast :D

bull%20riding.jpg

Paul G[/QUOTE]

Yes, in 1984, Brize Norton to Mount Pleasant, except we refuelled in Ascension. It was in an RAF Tristar and the inflight service was rubbish. Then again in 1988, but that was on one of Her Majesty’s finest Type 21 frigates from Plymouth. I wouldn’t pay to go there!

Paul G

Yes, in 1984, Brize Norton to Mount Pleasant, except we refuelled in Ascension. It was in an RAF Tristar and the inflight service was rubbish. Then again in 1988, but that was on one of Her Majesty’s finest Type 21 frigates from Plymouth. I wouldn’t pay to go there![/QUOTE]

Yes I have travelled via Tri Star air, not very upmarket! Thanks for that. P

Would love to visit, excellent seatrout fishing. Met someone who holds the record fish @ 22lbs 12 oz but she said it can be quite dangerous to stray too far from the river banks due to Argie landmines - watching exploding penguins is an interesting tourist attraction allegedly

Not so long as my arse has a hole, could I recommend that place as a holiday destination…

Yes I have been on that flight a couple of times

Only once through choice though. That was for a guided tour.

Unless you have a specific interest, such as remembrance, it’s a fucking shit hole

Back
Top Bottom