STOP 'N GO RUBBER MUSHROOM REPLACEMENT PLUGS

dmilne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My plugs have stopped plugging. I think they have dried out?
Fortunately the puncture happened at home in the dry so I could keep trying.
I tried soaking them in Silicone oil - apparently wrong! Just managed to stop the leak (by using my John Bull glue) long enough to get to the garage.
So they seem to have a shelf life ].

Anyone know if they can be re activated or stored in a different way?

Or do I just have to buy replacements .. and where do I get genuine ones, not made in China.

Any info appreciated,

Thanks

Dave

They’ll all be made in China anyway so I’d just buy the best value replacements you can find. Glue goes off when exposed to air that’s just a fact so unless you can fully seal them when stored you’re just going to need to buy a new set every now and again.

On that note I probably need some new ones for my kit they were starting to go off when I needed to use them last year so thanks for the reminder!

They’ll all be made in China anyway so I’d just buy the best value replacements you can find. Glue goes off when exposed to air that’s just a fact so unless you can fully seal them when stored you’re just going to need to buy a new set every now and again.

On that note I probably need some new ones for my kit they were starting to go off when I needed to use them last year so thanks for the reminder!

There’s no glue on the stop n go mushrooms.

Wrap them in shrink wrap to stop them drying out.

His testing and conclusions do not match my real life experience of using the Stop n Go mushroom plugs

Soak them in wintergreen oil / water mix (loads of videos available) , great for revitalising dried out rubber ( ooh er missus)

Fitted one to the car last night, hasn’t killed me yet.

Bit of a faff though compared with the rat tails.

Yeah I don't think that's Ryan's finest
I usually really enjoy his review, but found that on wanting a bit

Just to add to the "me too" list. Ordered some fresh plugs as the ones in my kit will have sat in an opened bag for a while now. Better safe than sorry.

When they arrive, I might split them into little bags of 3 or 5 and vac pack them. Hopefully that will slow down or stop any drying out.

Worth noting, I’m told by the tyre shop that tyres repaired with Stop n Go can’t then be patched again.

Worth noting, I’m told by the tyre shop that tyres repaired with Stop n Go can’t then be patched again.

Not true. I have had tyres with Stop 'n Go plugs professionally repaired by my local tyre place. It will of course depend where on the tyre the plug is. Too close to the sidewall and they probably won't repair it.

I did have one they couldn't repair, but that wasn't because of the plug - it was because it actually had another very small hole very close to the plugged hole and they can't overlap repair patches.

Well it’s true that they told me …

Good advice - I’ll try another place.

Back
Top Bottom