Identify the Connector.

dicktheleg

Pestie to the Nobility
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This is right next to the Sat Nav supply connector (that’s the one with the white plug in it) is an unused connector with a blanking plug in it.

Bike has just about every option on it so I’m struggling to identify what it’s for.

2011 R1200RT SE.

Any ideas chaps?

Attachments

• AC84E222-1BB0-4601-85FE-607850017EF5.jpg
    AC84E222-1BB0-4601-85FE-607850017EF5.jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 261
What colours are the wires ? From the picture the black plug with the blanking cap looks like its has a White/Grey wire and a White/Violet wire ?

I think the connector is for the second horn (perhaps this is why you are asking looking at your earlier post reference a second horn) . The BMW wiring diagram shows two x 2 pin connectors , one for horn 1 and one one for horn 2

One plug has a White/Grey wire and a White/Violet wire , the other plug has a Yellow/Black wire and a Yellow/Green wire

Thanks John.

The wires seem to be thinner than the ones feeding the existing horn, I’m thinking it’s maybe for the second Nav connector that interfaces with the Jog wheel / Zoom function (2011RT)?

I'm pretty sure it's an accessory socket. You can buy BMW mini looms to plug into it for such.

It 'should' be a switched live.

I'm pretty sure it's an accessory socket. You can buy BMW mini looms to plug into it for such.

It 'should' be a switched live.

It’s definitely not a switched accessory socket , the white plug is the ignition switched accessory socket

It may well be the second socket on a two wire BMW nav mount

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No? It does look like an accessory outlet. Like the ones Nav cradle would connect to. [Or a BMW "repair plug" 611656 8330 0413585].
My 800 has one like that for that very purpose. Mind, the Alarm one looks pretty similar too... Not an expert on the RT, just adding an idea...

They all have multiple uses. And there are many variants depending on the spec of the bike. I'm 90% sure it's a nav accessory socket for the BMW cradle. But it can be used as an accessory socket too with the right loom extension.

The real question is 'Why do you ask ?"

I’m already using the 3 wire Nav connector for power to my XT but I’m looking to maybe fit a second horn and wondered if it might be for that as earlier bikes had wiring for 2 horns.

Might be useful for something else if I can find out what it’s for, I really think it’s the second connector for a 2 wire Nav Cradle though.

Its not for a horn. Of that I'm certain.

You should be able to safety split the horn connection you already have. It's not canbus and the wiring will easily handle the amperage.

I've seen k5* bikes running lights and heated grips from the horn feed without issue. So an additional horn will be of no concern.

I believe it is for relaying to a SatNav the front wheel rotations thus allowing for basic position calculations when there is little or no GPS satellite coverage ie tunnels and urban canyons. My RTP had one

One of those two-pin connections (violet/white??) will be the (non-power) audio feed from the Sat-Nav mount into the optional BMW radio. Satnav instructions will then interrupt the radio output to the speakers.

If the bike has a radio, that one should be connected at the factory.

I believe it is for relaying to a SatNav the front wheel rotations thus allowing for basic position calculations when there is little or no GPS satellite coverage ie tunnels and urban canyons. My RTP had one

Hi Kritou, on the 3-pin plug Sat-Nav power plug there was (still is?) a purple wire in addition to the positive and negative power leads. As you say, that was a pulse wire for counting wheel revolutions. I have no idea whether the more modern Sat-Navs use that, as I suspect only BMW bothered to supply the pulses.

One of those two-pin connections (violet/white??) will be the (non-power) audio feed from the Sat-Nav mount into the optional BMW radio. Satnav instructions will then interrupt the radio output to the speakers.

If the bike has a radio, that one should be connected at the factory.[/QUOTE

I do not think the bikes came from the factory with a pre-fitted NAV prep . Mine has had the BMW NAV mount retrofitted but it only has the one white connector not the second black one . I have a newer NAV mount that does have the two connectors so I'll likely swap them over so I can use the LH handlebar jog wheel

I think you’re correct John, my 2011 has the optional audio pack so I recon it’s the Nav audio interface connector, it does look like it’s part of the original loom though,

Speed sensing pulses are supplied by the 3 wire main Nav connector as previously mentioned.

Shame I can’t interface the XT through it though.

Back
Top Bottom