Taxes on EU clothing imports

Mallard

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve got my eye on a BMW jacket from Motorradhaus Bohling in Karlsruhe. It’s advertised at £390.63 Including 19% Tax but excluding shipping cost. Shipping is through DHL and depends on weight: somewhere between €12.52 and €16.72; so, I’ll estimate about £15.

What’s it going to cost me in total: including import tax & VAT? I’m just an individual, not a registered company, so I can’t claim any UK taxes back; but could I claim the 19% German tax?

It all seems a bit of a minefield, and I seem to think that when it’s all costed out, I may as well buy it locally at the UK price.

I’ve got my eye on a BMW jacket from Motorradhaus Bohling in Karlsruhe. It’s advertised at £390.63 Including 19% Tax but excluding shipping cost. Shipping is through DHL and depends on weight: somewhere between €12.52 and €16.72; so, I’ll estimate about £15.

What’s it going to cost me in total: including import tax & VAT? I’m just an individual, not a registered company, so I can’t claim any UK taxes back; but could I claim the 19% German tax?

It all seems a bit of a minefield, and I seem to think that when it’s all costed out, I may as well buy it locally at the UK price.

The company should sell it to you less the German vat. You will have to pay 20% VAT here as it comes through customs, plus maybe another amount (2-3%) depending how much of the garment was made outside the EU. You’ll also have to pay a handling fee to the courier, usually £10-£12.

Bear in mind if you have to send it back you will not be able to reclaim the tax you paid in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Done the same. Once you have the goods, and PROOF you paid UK Vat, contact the German seller and they will refund the German vat. Just did this...

Yes. Bohling do this at the end of the order process - but I don't suppose everyone is the same. Too quote Bohling:

"The goods are shipped to a country outside the European Union
Orders shipped to countries outside the European Union (e.g. Switzerland, USA, Brazil, etc.) are exempt from the German VAT. The VAT is deducted automatically at the end of the ordering process when you enter the delivery address"

The company should sell it to you less the German vat. You will have to pay 20% VAT here as it comes through customs, plus maybe another amount (2-3%) depending how much of the garment was made outside the EU. You’ll also have to pay a handling fee to the courier, usually £10-£12.

Bear in mind if you have to send it back you will not be able to reclaim the tax you paid in the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With ref to the above if you have a warranty issue you are covered by BMW in this country. I had an issue with a leaking BMW jacket and the BMW clothing warranty with the help of your local friendly dealer replaced it, as long as you have the receipt from Motorradhaus Bohling.

But good luck with the purchase, before committing to your sale check with the dealers it may work out the same price without the problems. My jacket from Bohling took two days to Heathrow, fine and 2 weeks to me all of 100 mile + customs + handling+ payment to release.

Terms on EU Clothing

I purchased a pair of Motorrad trousers from a dealership in Germany.

They were held by HM Customs until i paid a £109. fee.

Beware.

How about planning a trip to Germany, pass by Karlsruhe and test the jacket for fit and if it’s really what you want buy it there and then tand just stuff in your luggage or even wear it..
Make sure however they have your size and the model you want in stock and ask them to put it back for you…
No tax, no hassle, fun of a trip, what’s not to like:D:D:D

How about planning a trip to Germany, pass by Karlsruhe and test the jacket for fit and if it’s really what you want buy it there and then tand just stuff in your luggage or even wear it..
Make sure however they have your size and the model you want in stock and ask them to put it back for you…
No tax, no hassle, fun of a trip, what’s not to like:D:D:D

Won't you end up paying the German taxes?

tom

Look at 20% UK VAT on items cost and postage, plus a potential Customs Charge and also a handling /admin fee payable to the Courier company. On my Last Louis Order UK VAT was paid by them but Border Force being the arses they are decided to make me pay £0.13 Import Duty, £0.00 Excise Duty, £27.30 VAT and then parcel Force added a £12.00 handling fee so I had to pay £39.43 to get my package from Parcel Force .That was on a order of a total cost of £160.

Checked and the VAT had already been paid in the UK by Louis and I could be claimed back from them but F*ck all chance of claiming back the handling fee

Back
Top Bottom