2009 gsa rear shock bottom bolt removal

Ben k

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all Iam trying to replace the rear shock on my dads 2009 gsa.
I managed to get all the bolts out apart from the bottom one that is really tight.
It moved a few turns but is now really tight.
Looking at replacement bolts they have lock tight on.
I don’t really want to use heat unless necessary.
Does anyone have any tips ?

Use heat,but you knew that? Hot air gun or small butane torch will soften the locktite and make sure your chosen torx socket isn't made of cheese

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Turn it back in (if it moves easily) clean up as best you can (use contact cleaner or similar) the threaded bit that shows, then heat gun to warm up the locktite - assume you are using a man-sized breaker bar as these use a big torque value?

I use a small butane powered soldering iron, which concentrates heat on the bolt and not on the paintwork.

Thanks.
The only issue I have with heat is the bolt screws in to the swing arm so I would have no choice but to warm the swing arm not the thread on the bolt

If you are worried about or scared to use heat ie a blow torch or hot air gun and damaging the paint steal your lasses hairdryer and concentrate it on the swinging arm where the bolt screws in to. on its hottest setting it will melt the thread lock but not damage the paint/powder coat on the swinging arm.

Or you can persist with no heat and go onto ever bigger levers and very likely damage the threads in the arm

I used a heat gun and a ratchet gun, dugga dugga. From memory I think I had it turned up to 140º C but that could be wrong!

Get plenty of heat into it, try it. More heat, try it and so on. They need a good bit of heat!

Thanks all.
A good bit of heat from a heat gun and out it came.
Thanks again

I now seem to have the problem of the ride adjuster doesn’t seem to make any difference and the shock is very slow to re coil back to position.
I have checked the electrical connections and they look ok.
Does anyone have any ideas ?

Back
Top Bottom