Black Forest Route Suggestions?

As I said
Day 1 for the OP bod is too long and fraught with danger and frustration
Doable - but something I would rather avoid on holiday
If they want to do it the cheapest way, maybe
They should fit tacho’s to bikes and enforce rest stops if bods want to ride excessively long days
We have all done it in the folly of youth

But you are not him or them, JB.

Re-plan his holiday for him :D

:beerjug:

With the Op's plan I would just pay up for the flexi, as it will save some time regardless, at least say 5-10 mins as no need to drive into main car park and look for your letter being called, and if its busy or there are delays it could save a LOT of time.

A few years back as 5 of us checked in 2 of us went through in the 30 mins before departure time slot, 3 did not, two of us went on pretty much on time - and had to wait over 90 minutes the other side for our buddies who had checked in literally a minute or two after us who got bumped back almost 2 hours, what was more annoying as once the first two of us were loaded there was clearly space for another 5-6 bikes in the carriage.

I would also reduce the French side back travel and stop at Saint Quentin instead, adds no more than an hour to the fairly easy day two, and takes over an hour of the the long day one - and that is a long day in perfect weather, a 14 hour day in the pissing rain would most unpleasant, and if any delays occur you could be searching for your Hotel at midnight in the pissing rain.

No idea about the merits of the Ferry, apart from Spain I do not use them.

Reims, St Quentin, Cambrai or even St Omer, are all possibilities, indeed. As Rasher says they each add or subtract an hour somewhere along the way.

The North Sea ferry might well make logistical sense, as would adding a day (an idea floated by the OP some way back) but we are where we are. At least the clock is not ticking too fast. He may yet decide to go to Ireland, Spain or Norway. It has been known on these pages.

Reims, St Quentin, Cambrai or even St Omer, are all possibilities, indeed. As Rasher says they each add or subtract an hour somewhere along the way.

The North Sea ferry might well make logistical sense, as would adding a day (an idea floated by the OP some way back) but we are where we are. At least the clock is not ticking too fast. He may yet decide to go to Ireland, Spain or Norway. It has been known on these pages.

The Black Forest trip is a definite "Go". Not a big fan of the ferry option having used them numerous times over the years when going over to Ireland and every year when we go to the IOM TT aboard the Vomit Comet.
Point taken regarding the Flexi fare option and something we will discuss over a beer tonight! The Reims overnight stop on Day 1 is another point we'll chat about and as Wapping states in his post above, there are other possibilities for a first night stop should we find ourselves delayed.

The Black Forest trip is a definite "Go". Not a big fan of the ferry option having used them numerous times over the years when going over to Ireland and every year when we go to the IOM TT aboard the Vomit Comet.
Point taken regarding the Flexi fare option and something we will discuss over a beer tonight! The Reims overnight stop on Day 1 is another point we'll chat about and as Wapping states in his post above, there are other possibilities for a first night stop should we find ourselves delayed.

one thing to be aware of, if you are using one of the chain hotels and arriving at 8pm or later, unless you check in online and give an arrival time, even if you have paid in advance, they might sell your room again. Just like airlines, they are mercenary fúckers with pricing and double booking.

Stop in St Omer and have an extra couple of hours to enjoy the very good beer made in the town rather than schlepping down the A26 to Reims in the dark.

Last year we used the St Quentin Best Western, easy enough to find and 5 min walk to town square - assuming you arrive before everything shuts.

Parking in an enclosed courtyard as opposed to on street which is a bonus in cities.

Breakfast Buffet was pretty decent as these things go.

From here it is only about an hour of motorway and you can pull off cross country towards Verdun as per one of the routes I posted earlier.

As for the Flex Tickets, sods law will dictate having paid the extra they only saved you a few minutes and your biker mates will be demanding compensation, but if you don't buy them you will be delayed by 90 minutes and all your biker mates blaming you for not telling them they must buy them.

Whenever I am pushed for time now I pay up, it really grates as it is oh so easy to chuck bikes on the back of a train, and we make up small % of space used, typically 5-10 bikes Vs 100 cars. IMHO they should make them a lot cheaper and then pretty much every biker would pay the extra - they would surely make more money this way than only upselling a handful of tickets a week?

Last year we used the St Quentin Best Western

Is it still open?

I think the problem with bikes (the Chunnel has used assorted methods of transporting them) is that they are a pain in the butt, compared with cars, motorhomes, vans or lorries. But that is true of the ferries as well.

When the Chunnel first started (over 25 years ago) they only took maybe two or three bikes per train, each bike with its front wheel clamped in a cradle.

Back
Top Bottom