ABBA BIKE LIFT

greg gardiner

Reaction score
anyone use the abba bike lift for the 1250 gs. im thinking off buying one any pics off it with bike on it. and what your views on it thanks greg

This is mine on the lift with the rear wheel off. I think it's a good bit of equipment to use, as it means when you do have either the front or rear end off you can still move the Bike around/out the way if space is limited. It's easy to get set up on the Bike (once you're used to it) and have confidence in how it works.

My only gripe/dislike is the way the rear end is help flat. The strap they supply, IMO, is shite. I use a ratchet strap instead for safety - because if their small clips let go, the front end of the Bike would be heading towards the floor. And potentially tip the Bike over (depending on the height it fell from)

Lift

Here’s mine, no wheels, echo previous comment re strap at rear, I use a woodworking clamp to stop strap slipping.

Attachments

• 2B43A03E-960A-43AB-AEE9-CDAC5D2937CF.jpg
    2B43A03E-960A-43AB-AEE9-CDAC5D2937CF.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 951
anyone use the abba bike lift for the 1250 gs. im thinking off buying one any pics off it with bike on it. and what your views on it thanks greg

What do you intend using it for? I had one for a short while but sold it because moving my bike around my garage with a concrete floor was far easier using my constands dolly and to clean it using 2 paddock stands was easier too. If you're planning on using it for extensive maintenance, then it's a good piece of kit especially if you need to raise the bike up but for general cleaning or moving it about I think there are better options available. My GS also fell off the stand while I was lifting it up. Operator error on my part so make sure the bobbins are properly secure in the frame

I think they are brilliant for being able to move my 1200 & subsequent 1250 around the garage whilst on the stand, but would also second the use of a ratchet strap. I also changed the wheels to larger ones for better manoeuverability around my garage concrete floor.

could you expound on changing the wheels please. What size or weight did you upgrade to etc.

Thanks

could you expound on changing the wheels please. What size or weight did you upgrade to etc.

Thanks

Standard wheels were 47mm twin wheel set up with 2 of the wheel braked. I changed to 80mm braked singles all round. I can’t post pics at moment as my bike on the stand is at back of garage surrounded by boxes, due to house alterations this week. Will post once I can get to it.

Never had any problems with the standard wheels on the Abba skylift, and it has had loads of use with many bikes over the past 4 years.

I guess it depends on whether your garage floor is smooth or somewhat uneven. Mines a little uneven and the Skylift can… well, not dig-in exactly, but dip and cause an unnerving slight wobble until you gain confidence in its use and operation.

Re the strap – on current models they’ve introduced an extra safety clip on the strap which seems to do the job OK.

I guess it depends on whether your garage floor is smooth or somewhat uneven. Mines a little uneven and the Skylift can… well, not dig-in exactly, but dip and cause an unnerving slight wobble until you gain confidence in its use and operation.

Re the strap – on current models they’ve introduced an extra safety clip on the strap which seems to do the job OK.

Which other castor wheels did you use & where from.TIA.

Standard wheels were 47mm twin wheel set up with 2 of the wheel braked. I changed to 80mm braked singles all round. I can’t post pics at moment as my bike on the stand is at back of garage surrounded by boxes, due to house alterations this week. Will post once I can get to it.

Hi, where did you get the 80mm wheels from….apologies to other readers as ive put this request in several places on this thread….not ofay with how to post & re post etc….lol…

Which other castor wheels did you use & where from.TIA.

Apologies for the delay but the ABBA stand with a bike on has been wedged in the garage covered in stuff, awaiting the fitting of solar panels, with all the electrics going in the garage.

The castors were obtained from
Atlas Handling (UK) Ltd
The Castor Centre
Palmers Road
Redditch
B98 0RF

Castor Details
4 x 80mm Medium Duty M12 Bolt Hole Braked castor - 100kg capacity - W80DRBH12PNOSWB

I also separately ordered 4 x 32mm long M12 bushes and some washers, to enable 360 degree rotation, as not all the originals did that. The slope on the castors to the brake operator, helps them clear the stand frame.

Paul

Attachments

• 155C0FB3-4813-442D-B876-35B0778FF753.jpg
    155C0FB3-4813-442D-B876-35B0778FF753.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 1433D3F3-E5EE-4646-B244-C085F86480E9.jpg
    1433D3F3-E5EE-4646-B244-C085F86480E9.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 259
Word of caution, i fitted some larger castors and spacers and with the stand on the lowest setting it would no longer fit into the frame points for lifting because the stand had gained several inches in height, i had to put the bike on a paddock stand before i could mount the skylift. (This was on a Multistrada so you might not have any issues)

It’s been 18 mths since I sold my 1250, but I didn’t have a paddock stand, so I used to put a piece of wood under the back wheel and had the stand on the lowest setting. The result of the bigger wheels that moved more freely and rotated 360 degrees was a far better experience for me, and worth the slight fiddle in aligning the frame points.

If the current set up works fine for you it’s not an issue. My garage floor is not that smooth so the bigger castors solved my problem without losing the benefits the Skylift provides.

Hi, where did you get the 80mm wheels as I want to change the wheels on my skylift as floor is uneven, larger wheels may help. Thanks.

Nice job Paul, you would think Abba would offer that as an option too!:okay

Back
Top Bottom