Essential spares for Moroco trip

There was some Irish guys on this forum who went Africa way and one of them took a soldering iron with them..
And they used it.....!!!

So parts are varied on what you may need....

Indeed, I was one of them! Incidentally despite the 40C heat in Mauritania it didn’t work well due to the wind so I am not sure it’s an essential tool😁. But cable ties, duck tape, credit card and a sense of humour definitely are!

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/464067-Gael-Warnings-in-West-Africa

Yep there always on board along with a soft metal gear lever

Cheers guys, last time I went to Morocco did 10200km nearly got to dakar, was on a 660xtz and I did all the bearings, pads, etc, before I went, took essential parts with me and never used them, lol. Was thinking more along lines of parts that might be unobtainable or difficult to find out there, like starter solenoid, relays, etc. Personally I'd prefer to take a few bits than be chasing after things if needed.

Hi Steve. As Timolgra said, just rode one of mine to The Gambia (it's still there, need to figure out what to do next with it). Mix of road and trails. Temps between freezing and 45 deg. Only issue I had was a failed ignition switch (not the normal solder issue, but the contacts in the switch itself). They are easily bypassed, so field repair was a connection strip to join wires together, later upgraded to a blade fuse connector where the fuse became the switch. Also one of the pins on the zumo xt mount stuck. Got by, just.

It's all in the prep. New sintered pads should last. Tyres, choose carefully. Anakee wilds maybe won't last, but I was impressed with motoz tractionators; used rallz on front, and adventure on rear. Covered 4500 miles plus, and I am likely to get back on them. Quality chain and sprockets, minor adjustment once.

Did a couple roadside oil changes, but only dropped what was in the tank, replacing a litre at a time. Good oil is available there.

Spares I don't think you will source easily over there. I took my normal UK riding tool/spares kit, incl chem metal, chain tool, puncture stuff, cable kit, tape, ties etc.

Message me if need more detail. Will find you on FB as my blogs are on there.

Happy prep!

Thanks for the response guy's, read someone's ride report about injection relay failing out on trails which got me thinking......so went to local bmw agent, who told me no longer available. So me thinks, if I can't get one from bmw France what chance have I got in Morocco. Well aware that bm don't make relays and I can find compatible makes that will fit, but maybe not in the high atlas, hence this post. Think I'll make up a small spares bag just for peace of mind.

Unless your pads are worn, I'd save the space. Or change them before you go. So many components on a bike, it's hard to guess what you might need.

Personally I take the raw materials that allow you to 'bodge' emergency repairs. Duct tape, baling wire, butane lighter and solder, a length of old cycle inner tube, epoxy metal, tyre fix kit, some plastic tubing.. that kind of thing.

Unless there's any riding in sand. Riding in sand (especially damp sand) can do a set of pads in a less than 100 miles. DAMHIK.

Well gents.....to the ones that said only zip ties and gaffer tape....I'm glad I took a spare injecter relay. Touch the button this morning....nothing. wouldn't go anywhere without one now and takes up no space.

Be sure to fit new tyres before you go. Speaking from experience, tyres are not available in Morocco. My front was still legal when I got home, but when it suffered a puncture there it was too thin to plug. A newish tyre will plug more easily.

Multiple copies of "fiche" with your passport, personal details, moto details. Hand over a copy at roadside checkpoints and be on your way toute de suite. Especially useful farther south.

Back
Top Bottom