Essential spares for Moroco trip

Wardy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi gents, off to Morocco end of march, and got me thinking spares I need to take....just in case. So apart from the obvious wheel bearings, pads, air filter, etc, whats your thoughts on minimum spares kit. Im thinking starter solenoid, relay, those sort of things. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers Steve.

Unless your pads are worn, I'd save the space. Or change them before you go. So many components on a bike, it's hard to guess what you might need.

Personally I take the raw materials that allow you to 'bodge' emergency repairs. Duct tape, baling wire, butane lighter and solder, a length of old cycle inner tube, epoxy metal, tyre fix kit, some plastic tubing.. that kind of thing.

Fit new pads, bearings, solenoid, relay, filters, water pump seals etc. now rather than carry them with you.
GFJ can advise you best for XChallenge as he's just ridden his UK to Gambia.

Bloody hell, why do you need to take all of that? When I toured Morocco in 2017 all I took were some zip ties, leccy tape, puncture repair kit, portable compressor and the usual basic tools and the all important credit card. You can't take every spare for every potential eventuality, just do and enjoy yourself.

Bloody hell, why do you need to take all of that? When I toured Morocco in 2017 all I took were some zip ties, leccy tape, puncture repair kit, portable compressor and the usual basic tools and the all important credit card. You can't take every spare for every potential eventuality, just do and enjoy yourself.

This ^^^^

I have never bothered with spares, other than already routed clutch cable, a tyre repair kit and a spare joining link, maybe two. I prefer to do good preparation beforehand, then just go. The ability to do roadside repairs on an EFI bike seem limited to me anyway. Anything electronic is just smoke, mirrors and magic to me - mechanicals I can do basics and that's it. Even getting at the plugs is a major operation on the X Country. I don't have a plug spanner that will go down the hole and have yet to find one that will. I use the one at a friendly garage.

Cheers guys, last time I went to Morocco did 10200km nearly got to dakar, was on a 660xtz and I did all the bearings, pads, etc, before I went, took essential parts with me and never used them, lol. Was thinking more along lines of parts that might be unobtainable or difficult to find out there, like starter solenoid, relays, etc. Personally I'd prefer to take a few bits than be chasing after things if needed.

There was some Irish guys on this forum who went Africa way and one of them took a soldering iron with them..
And they used it.....!!!

So parts are varied on what you may need....

leave with a well serviced , no fault bike . ( paper air filters can be blown out ) .

a friend went to Morocco , years ago , there was an outstanding recall for lower shock mount on a K75s , ( he didn't know cos he home serviced ) ... guess what broke .

Cash…preferably Euros. It can be difficult to change Sterling in some banks in Morocco.

Yeah know about cash exchange etc I've been to Morocco before cheers. My question is more about the xchallenge and certain parts that might breakdown and potentially could be hard to source there, as long as not to big or bulky could be taken with me. Cheers

rear sub frame is ali , on out trip one snapped but a few straps latter and cure was found . he could not sit

Hope to hear how it goes in Morocco, might be tempted to follow.
Best of Luck and no mishaps.
On friend went to SoAm and had no puncture, I did 50k on the local minor road and had 2.
Best of Luck

Credit card.

My favourite emergency thing to carry, takes up no room either :)

zip ties, leccy tape, puncture repair kit, portable compressor and the usual basic tools and the all important credit card. You can't take every spare for every potential eventuality, just do and enjoy yourself.

rule of thumb: if you cant fix it in your own garage at home, don't try and fix it at the side of the road

I always take a pair of spare levers if venturing off the tarmac.

top tips there from the regulars :D

Back
Top Bottom