Maps or GPS or both and how to keep notes

I’ve moved “backwards” from mra and such to google maps for trip planning (pc) and navigation (iphone). It’s useful having the traffic info and for avoiding blocked roads “live”, and accourate eta’s etc. It’s also much easier to make changes on the fly… “you guys should use this road to such and such place” from a local, or “let’s just skip that bit” for example.

To achieve this I plan each days activity on Google maps, then copy the full url into a sheet saved on Dropbox. When I click on the link it opens the route on the phone ready to navigate. I also print each day’s trip and out it in the tank bag for reference, plus any notes like hotel / campsite bookings, ferry ticket references, etc.

It’s also a great research tool… whenever I hear about a place I’d like to visit someday I save them in Google maps, so when planning a tour it’s easier to string together a route.

Nav 5/6 and gpx tracks wasn’t flexible and I kept getting stuck in traffic as there was no automatic traffic routing or live information.

The various apps weren’t as robust and didn’t have the database of places to visit. And they cost money to use (unlike Google maps).

I do similar, saving google maps urls for points of interest mentioned here and elsewhere and route segments which can be joined up at a later date. Same with preplanned routes for a whole day - stick them all in a text file that can be accessed on any device via Dropbox. Handy as a reference or back-up if one device craps out during a trip.
I transfer the daily routes to the Zumo 390 as I prefer to use that on the road as it is robust, shows my speed and local speed limit and I have had it for years so know how to use it.

Back
Top Bottom