F900XR

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
You’ll have to excuse my posting this in the section for smaller GS twins but such is life :D

My wife has just purchased one of these new and decided to order a few bits of bling such as a Givi rack along with R&G crash protectors and the dealer just quoted her their workshop prices to fit them.

To fit a Givi rack - 12hrs
To fit crash protectors 8hrs
To fit an X system Scottoiler 12hrs

Are they serious?

I’m going to be working away for about 8-10 weeks which is why she asked for a price to fit rather than relying on me but that’s taking the piss so she’s been told to tell them where to get off and I’ll fit them before we go away for 2 weeks in July.

If I can’t fit a rack in under 12 hrs I need my hands cutting off and as for shoving a rod through the front wheel spindle and putting a bung on each side then fitting rear protectors to the swinging arm; that must be about 1hr at the most.

The electronic Scottoiler I can download instructions and it might take a bit longer if I have to remove the tank to connect it up but not 12hrs :blast

She was going to drop off the cradle for her satnav and get them to route the cable when they did the Scottoiler but I’ve told her not to waste her money.

I’m not annoyed by it, just shocked that anyone can admit they’re so shit it’ll take them 12hrs to fit a rack.

I suspect they don't want to do it. From memory and it is some 9 years this year since I last worked in a Motorrad dealership, there are issues about fitting non BMW parts.

I suspect they don't want to do it. From memory and it is some 9 years this year since I last worked in a Motorrad dealership, there are issues about fitting non BMW parts.

Too right they don’t want to do it but they’re supplying the parts (apart from the Scottoiler who don’t supply to dealers any more) and the sales guy told her it would be free fitting but she didn’t get that in writing.

Andy dont know how relevant this is to the FX900, but the rear racks for the F800/650’s fitted directly onto the four mounting bolts that the rear grab rails used.

I notice the XR has like a fin for the rear grabs, from a quick google search the Givi rack looks to connect to that fitting point.

I think you are right they are just pulling your chain

I have fitted Givi side case kits to my R1200RS and S1000XR. About an hour and that includes removing the BMW hardware.

The topbox plate took about 15 minutes on each bike. Unscrewing 4 little bolts and a small metal plate, unscrew 4 bigger bolts and fitting 4 slightly longer ones with the plate.

Topbox on the F900XR looks a bit more involved so maybe an hour and half of that trying to understand the instructions.
Meccano kit for the side cases is a lot more involved. Many more bolts in the kit. Probably a 2 coffee and several e-fag breaks job. So 2 hours.
Have a look yourself at https://www.givi.co.uk/my-motorcycle/bike/bmw/f-900-xr-20--22

Of all my bikes, only one Givi kit pissed me off, twice on the same bike. Firstly the rear cross member was the wrong part. Quickly resolved by Accessorimotostore in Italy. Then getting one of the OE bolts out of the Yamaha was made of metal weaker than the bite of the blue Loctite. Had to hammer a Torx into the allen head. Good old Halfords replaced the abused torx key without any quibble under their lifetime guarantee.

Hope she likes the bike. I was underwhelmed when Cotswold loaned me one, but I was comparing it to a R1200RS and a S1000XR!

Look at the Givi site and view the fitting instructions, I would say a maximum of 60 to 90 minutes to sort out the rack and an hour max to fit protectors, not sure about the newer electronic Scottoilers but I fitted one to a mates Triumph Tiger 955 many moons ago and even with bodywork and tank removal, fitting vaccuum take offs , running the piping and setting everything up it was at max 2 1/2 hours.

They are taking the proverbial, I just wonder how much they are intending to charge per hour for those quoted times

Bizarre!

My dealer (Bahnstormer, Alton) has frequently (sourced and) fitted non-OEM parts for me and charged me less time than I reckon I could do it in myself. Of course their hourly rate is higher than mine but I've never felt they were taking the piss - exactly the opposite...

as for oilers, I used a Tuturo on my Tracer and it worked well. Cheaper and simpler to fit. Made in Lydney, Gloucestershire and I went over to the factory to buy mine. I commuted on that bike through 2 winters and the bike didn't need any adjustments between tyre changes and still had the OE chain when I sold it.

It’d be a bit naive to expect them to fit a lot of accessories free of charge but there’s something seriously wrong with their technicians if they’d really take that amount of time to fit them which leaves me to assume they thought it’s only a woman and she won’t know any different.

My next job is to persuade her not to buy any of the parts from them so they get even less of her money.

Look at the Givi site and view the fitting instructions, I would say a maximum of 60 to 90 minutes to sort out the rack and an hour max to fit protectors, not sure about the newer electronic Scottoilers but I fitted one to a mates Triumph Tiger 955 many moons ago and even with bodywork and tank removal, fitting vaccuum take offs , running the piping and setting everything up it was at max 2 1/2 hours.

They are taking the proverbial, I just wonder how much they are intending to charge per hour for those quoted times

I’ve not seen the estimate but she muttered something about it being close to £800.

It does seem that they’re trying to get back the £800 discount for buying the bike on Friday rather than leave it until the new year when they’d offer her no discount at all.

For an average BMW Motorrad dealership in the UK I would have thought that £800 represents less than 6 hours labour

I think I would also withdraw the order for the accessories from the dealer on a note of principle. I'm sure you could source them elsewhere for less money. Plus if your Mrs collects the bike and the accessories are not fitted, how does she get them home?

Just for info, is this Bowker? I use Bowker and they are near to you (and me). It's unlike them if it is, they are normally pretty reasonable.

Maybe another dealer would supply and fit for less (once she's collected the bike), a smaller bike shop like Lancaster M/C's. Or Moto-Revive? I'm pretty sure my local guy (Sapphire at Staveley near Kendal, or GS M/C's in Kendal) would supply and fit for a reasonable price.

I think I would also withdraw the order for the accessories from the dealer on a note of principle. I'm sure you could source them elsewhere for less money. Plus if your Mrs collects the bike and the accessories are not fitted, how does she get them home?

Just for info, is this Bowker? I use Bowker and they are near to you (and me). It's unlike them if it is, they are normally pretty reasonable.

Maybe another dealer would supply and fit for less (once she's collected the bike), a smaller bike shop like Lancaster M/C's. Or Moto-Revive? I'm pretty sure my local guy (Sapphire at Staveley near Kendal, or GS M/C's in Kendal) would supply and fit for a reasonable price.

I think she’s planning to call and discuss the matter a bit further because the numbers don’t add up when you take the hours they quoted and what I’d expect them to charge for labour recovery then look at the actual cost they’ve given her.

I’m pretty sure there’s an element of them trying to recover the discount the salesman offered her last week because I thought £800 was a lot so when she phoned me and asked my opinion I told her that it was the bike she wanted in a colour she wanted and they had a factory lowered one in stock so grab it.

As for the dealer, I wasn’t with her (I was away at the Strontian meet) but she bought her car from Bowker and they’re not far from us so you’re probably right. She’s got form for being mugged by dealers then coming home and telling me with the end result being me needing to have a word :D

I'm not far from you Andy, but like you, I'm away quite a bit. If I can I would be happy to help. I'm reasonably friendly with the guys at Bowker, Sapphire and GS M/C's...

I'm not far from you Andy, but like you, I'm away quite a bit. If I can I would be happy to help. I'm reasonably friendly with the guys at Bowker, Sapphire and GS M/C's...

That’s a very kind offer but she doesn’t really need the luggage capacity until we go away and she’s got a brother who’s very handy when it comes to motorbikes about 5 minutes away.

I’ll be leaving the keys to my workshop at home when I’m away so anything that isn’t here or he doesn’t have is very easy to get at but most importantly, by the time I’m home it’ll be spring and I can simply do the work on our patio while enjoying a beer :D

Magnet has a 900XR and she’s shaking her head about the fitting times. They don’t appear to want the work.

Might be worth looking at Shad kit for the side cases and top box which are relatively cheap and which Magnet fitted herself in a couple of hours without interference from me. Only issue being the top box is a bit big. The Givi box looks better but we’re not sure if that fits with the Shad mounts.

As for crash protection might be worth looking at Evotech crash bungs. IMO they are neater than the crash bars and relatively easy to fit although you do have to whip off some panels to gain access.

Pictures can be sent if you’re interested?

Magnet has a 900XR and she’s shaking her head about the fitting times. They don’t appear to want the work.

Might be worth looking at Shad kit for the side cases and top box which are relatively cheap and which Magnet fitted herself in a couple of hours without interference from me. Only issue being the top box is a bit big. The Givi box looks better but we’re not sure if that fits with the Shad mounts.

As for crash protection might be worth looking at Evotech crash bungs. IMO they are neater than the crash bars and relatively easy to fit although you do have to whip off some panels to gain access.

Pictures can be sent if you’re interested?

The problem is that she’s got a Givi top box and some German (not BMW) hard panniers from her previous bike so wants to use them. It’s not crash bars she’s fitting, it’s crash bungs which are probably the same as the Evotech ones.

How’s Magnet getting on with the XR?

is the Ducati up for sale yet or is this one going in the conservatory?

is the Ducati up for sale yet or is this one going in the conservatory?

That’s a tricky one to answer so I’ll simply say that I don’t know. I’m away to Amsterdam on Monday to do a local HSE course then home Wednesday or Thursday before returning to NL the following week and that me out of it until late March at the earliest. She can put the bike in the conservatory if she feels so inclined or she can sell the 916 which is what she should be doing. I was going to strip any extras off my GS and eBay it but time has been the enemy yet again so it’s here until spring.

Nothing really changes, we just accumulate motorbikes :D

The problem is that she’s got a Givi top box and some German (not BMW) hard panniers from her previous bike so wants to use them. It’s not crash bars she’s fitting, it’s crash bungs which are probably the same as the Evotech ones.

How’s Magnet getting on with the XR?

She’s liking it. She’s going to put in her ten pennorth shortly.

Back
Top Bottom