CN2023.2NTU

Bear

Reaction score
It's out and currently loading onto the antique Nuvi. If it works I'll update the Zumo as well.

Last edited:
It's out and currently loading onto the antique Nuvi. If it works I'll update the Zumo as well.

Fuck me, that's Bloaty McBloatface. I could only get part of Europe on my Zumo 390 last time. I can get even less on it now without an SD card in this version. Time to stick with the last iteration for 2023 as SD cards have been pants in the past, and maybe upgrade for 2024 if the world is still functional.

if you have a BMW/Garmin device then it should automatically find the update itself if a recent one with wifi, or via Garmin Express installed on a computer

Cheers Wessie

I thought it was a standalone

Time to find the Zumo 395 thingy that I have put in a safe place

Fuck me, that's Bloaty McBloatface. I could only get part of Europe on my Zumo 390 last time. I can get even less on it now without an SD card in this version. Time to stick with the last iteration for 2023 as SD cards have been pants in the past, and maybe upgrade for 2024 if the world is still functional.

It wouldn't fit on the Zumo 350 so I stuck a Sandisk 32GB SD card in formatted FAT32 and Garmin Excess (not a typo) installed something, said the Zumo was up-to-date then dived off and installed southern Europe, leaving me with something of little value here in Beartown, particularly as the maps wouldn't unlock. Reinstalling cured the lock problem but didn't give me maps of where I live so I'm now trying MapInstall as it found the ret of Europe plus something from Freizeitecarte I downloaded out of curiosity. It will probably take all night to install this lot so I'll post back in the morning.

The Zumo had problems with the last update as well whereas my ancient Nuvi 2595, again with a 32GB card, updates without problems.

It wouldn't fit on the Zumo 350 so I stuck a Sandisk 32GB SD card in formatted FAT32 and Garmin Excess (not a typo) installed something, said the Zumo was up-to-date then dived off and installed southern Europe, leaving me with something of little value here in Beartown, particularly as the maps wouldn't unlock. Reinstalling cured the lock problem but didn't give me maps of where I live so I'm now trying MapInstall as it found the ret of Europe plus something from Freizeitecarte I downloaded out of curiosity. It will probably take all night to install this lot so I'll post back in the morning.

The Zumo had problems with the last update as well whereas my ancient Nuvi 2595, again with a 32GB card, updates without problems.

I have options to do a partial install but W.Europe has now been sub-divided. I currently have UK, France, Benelux and Iberia but to upgrade to the new data, I can have all that except the UK. I will squeeze another year out of the 390 as it will be fine for any trips this year but I am not going to piss about with SD cards as they seem to be very flakey in this device. I suspect it might be the vibration affecting the contacts. It is 7 years old so I've had good value from it.

After a great deal of buggering about with aftermarket tools the Zumo appears to be working correctly. For whatever reason it decided all it wanted was Southern Europe which is useless in England. In the end I used the JaVaWa device manager to strip out the maps on the unit then used MapInstall to load all of Europe. Firing up the Zumo told me it couldn't unlock the maps and Settings didn't show any maps installed. I found the two .img map files in Windows File Explorer and used a very dodgy cracking tool to unlock them. For all this fooling around to work you need the Zumo in Mass Storage mode: the default is Media Transfer Protocol. The maps now show up with strange names but I can find random streets in Dublin, Lisbon and Worms as well as plan routes in England.
I idly wonder if the locking problem is down to updating two devices from the same computer. I don't see why it should cause a problem but the frequency with which Garmin Excess updates makes me wonder what Garmin are up to behind the scenes.

Back
Top Bottom