WAW ROUTE ADVICE

Pablo1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm planning a week in south for 2023, have done north section in the past, just looking for any pointers on routes Ive chosen please, also any accomodation recommends in Ballina and Clifden.
I'm hoping all these peninsulas are not similar to the NC500 in Scotland where IMHO they can be a boring waste of time lol.
DAY 2 GLENGARRIF.jpgDAY 3 WATERVILLE.jpgDAY 4 WATERVILLE.jpgDAY 5 KILRUSH.jpg

check out my thread on my trip, including routes linked to MRA. The peninsula's are worth doing IMO - great scenery and roads.

link to thread here

When i did the WAE, a lot-of places of interest are down country roads off the actual WAW route. Adds bit of time to the journey but man, there is some beautiful stuff to see.

Mostly looks good
But 1 - it will take longer than you think.
But 2 - the bit from Rossaveal alone North coast of Galway bay through the congested Galway is a PITA. an alternative is outlined
But 3 - the bit from Waterville North to Tralee etc is the bit I'd dump ; Baleachoishin is worth working in.
But 4 - my grandson demands my attention - may get back to this.

Attachments

• Screenshot (120).png
    Screenshot (120).png
    49 KB · Views: 155
But 4 - my South coast suggestion - missing Cork & messy suburbs & embracing some great motorcycle roads (including the Vee & the copper coast).
Hard to do in a day

Attachments

• Screenshot (121).png
    Screenshot (121).png
    79.4 KB · Views: 133
Hotels are full of fugees and inside touristy areas the hotels chance their arm.
There is nothing wrong with you routes, but tweaking according what you get back from here, for instance near Kilrush =le Loop Head, Bridges of Ross.
Galway is a hellhole price wise and concerning traffic.
near Leenane ist a nice pass with view of the back of Croagh Patrick, right after Doolough Tawinyard to Drummin, etc.
Clifden can be full of...
Westport might be nice but can be totally congested.
Newport better
The Nephin Wildernes is great for a bimble, go on, go on go on.
Have fun

Hotels are full of fugees and inside touristy areas the hotels chance their arm.
There is nothing wrong with you routes, but tweaking according what you get back from here, for instance near Kilrush =le Loop Head, Bridges of Ross.
near Leenane ist a nice pass with view of the back of Croagh Patrick, right after Doolough Tawinyard to Drummin, etc.
Newport better
Have fun

Lol, whats a fugee ???

FWIW I started the WAW a couple of years ago near Derry, intending to complete it in chunks heading north to south. Last year I started at Sligo and got as far as Clifden and the part from Sligo to Westport was head and shoulders the least interesting bit so far, particularly from Sligo to Belmullet.
If you're heading from Clifden to Ballina I'd avoid the WAW entirely and look for some little roads cutting across country.

If you are around Doolin there’s lots of interesting things to do. Cliffs of Moher being the most well known. For a brilliant night try the Fiddle and Bow. Not at the lower end price wise but an absolutely lovely place to stay. I’m speaking from experience. Mention my name and Darren might be able to accommodate you. It’s very popular and nearly always booked out. JJH

Lol, whats a fugee ???

Fugees :aidan

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oKOtzIo-uYw" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mostly looks good
But 1 - it will take longer than you think.
But 2 - the bit from Rossaveal alone North coast of Galway bay through the congested Galway is a PITA. an alternative is outlined
But 3 - the bit from Waterville North to Tralee etc is the bit I'd dump ; Baleachoishin is worth working in.
But 4 - my grandson demands my attention - may get back to this.

cheers, can you check spelling on Baleachoishn ? nothing coming up

But 4 - my South coast suggestion - missing Cork & messy suburbs & embracing some great motorcycle roads (including the Vee & the copper coast).
Hard to do in a day

GHreat stuff thanks, on looking up the V, route looks to go further north, I assume that bits missable ?

Newport better
Have fun

Thank you, I am however struggling to find any of the places you mention other than Leenane.

FWIW I started the WAW a couple of years ago near Derry, intending to complete it in chunks heading north to south. Last year I started at Sligo and got as far as Clifden and the part from Sligo to Westport was head and shoulders the least interesting bit so far, particularly from Sligo to Belmullet.
If you're heading from Clifden to Ballina I'd avoid the WAW entirely and look for some little roads cutting across country.

great stuff thank you.

If you are around Doolin there’s lots of interesting things to do. Cliffs of Moher being the most well known. For a brilliant night try the Fiddle and Bow. Not at the lower end price wise but an absolutely lovely place to stay. I’m speaking from experience. Mention my name and Darren might be able to accommodate you. It’s very popular and nearly always booked out. JJH

Ive been to Doolan on a previous trip, in fact thats the furthest south Ive been, the place was jumping the night we stayed, great craic.

GHreat stuff thanks, on looking up the V, route looks to go further north, I assume that bits missable ?

Bit of a dilemma there - Kinsale - Youghal not great so a swing North recommended - if stuck for time then head direct for Dublin - however you miss the copper coast West of Tramore - that's the dilemma

cheers, can you check spelling on Baleachoishn ? nothing coming up

Apologies should be two words Bealach Oisin [the way of Oisin] - between Waterville & Glencar - if combined with Ballaghbeama gap your wee face will be smiling for sure.

Back
Top Bottom