V100 first ride.

Looks great, but that front mudguard has to be the shortest I’ve ever seen. That’s gonna need a very long extender.

The trend seems to be front mudguard only in front of the forks, the slimmest of rear mudguard basically just to function as a bracket for attaching the license plate, lots of space and air above the rear tyre as if there were 10" of travel, which necessitates positioning the rear seat up high, and high rear footpads to clear the angled up, large silencers. It must be what most buyers want otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Looks great, but that front mudguard has to be the shortest I’ve ever seen. That’s gonna need a very long extender.

There is a company already producing an extender, but it looks hideous. I think the Pyramid plastics V85 version of the front fender could be adapted to fit the V100. I'm going to send for one and we'll see.

The trend seems to be front mudguard only in front of the forks, the slimmest of rear mudguard basically just to function as a bracket for attaching the license plate, lots of space and air above the rear tyre as if there were 10" of travel, which necessitates positioning the rear seat up high, and high rear footpads to clear the angled up, large silencers. It must be what most buyers want otherwise they wouldn't be doing it.

Agree with this my little KTM Duke 390 has a huge gap above the rear wheel, so my back helmet and the rear pillion seat are filthy after a muddy road ride.

Three days and 430mls into ownership. Have my initial thoughts changed? A little, it's even better than I initially thought it was. I'm not fully into the electronics yet, it takes me a while with that sort of thing. Apparently you can change the amount of engine braking in the settings!
I've heard quite a few people ask 'Is it still a Guzzi?' It is much more refined, it handles much better, the gearbox is lovely the clutch is light, it's much quicker, it has far more electronic wizardry than any other Guzzi I have owned or ridden, but that DNA is still there. You could ride this bike blindfold, metaphorically speaking, and you would know without doubt that it was a Guzzi.
For someone of my size and stature, 5'9" short fat legs, it is the perfect fit. I'm not saying it wouldn't suit shorter or taller, fatter or thinner folks, but for me it's the perfect fit.
I've got used to the way the quickshifter works now and it is indeed a very nice addition on the open road, not so useful around town or in heavy traffic, easier just to use the clutch. One thing that I have found very nice is the ability of the bike to run at 7mph with the clutch fully engage, no stuttering or jerking no need the feather the clutch, the fueling is very near perfect.
Out on the open road it's a joy to ride. The power for me is just about spot on. From 45mph in 6th gear it will pull like a train, making overtakes very swift and safe, the brakes are I believe the best I've ever encountered on a bike, lovely feel and never need more than 1 finger. It feels very light once on the move and flicks from side to side without having to wrestle with it, it has got a slight tendency to run wide at speed, but I think this was more me being used to wide bars on adventure bikes. Dipping the shoulder into the corner appeared to overcome this.
Top box looks bloody awful on the Mandello, so I'll have to get used to riding with a rucksack again.
I did purchase a taller screen but didn't like the look of it so put the original back on. It does a good enough job.
Electronic wing things. Not sure, but you can feel it deflects the cold air from the top of your thighs, might be useful in heavy rain.
I've sent for a pyramid plastics front mudguard from the V85tt, I'm sure I can make it fit the V100. Something is definately needed to protect the radiator from all the crud chucked up in this country.
I've a feeling that once Guzzi start putting this engine and technology into other bikes we're going to be seeing an awful lot more Guzzi's on the road.

Sounds great! I'll have a spin over to Teasedales at some point for a poke around! May swap my V85TT for one ;)

Sounds great! I'll have a spin over to Teasedales at some point for a poke around! May swap my V85TT for one ;)

Exactly what I’m thinking. But being 6’3” with longish legs I suspect I’m going to find it cramped. The V100 Stelvio is likely a better prospect for me. 2024 before we see that I suspect.

Exactly what I’m thinking. But being 6’3” with longish legs I suspect I’m going to find it cramped. The V100 Stelvio is likely a better prospect for me. 2024 before we see that I suspect.

I agree!!! Hopefully they make a Stelvio or TT soon ;)

I reckon EICMA 2024 for the Stelvio. There is a tall seat for the V100.

Thanks for the review Steve. Our local dealer is putting the demonstrator on this month so I’m intending to get a ride out in early February. I’ve had a sit on one and it feels a bit small at the side of the V 85TT and is an easy flat foot. Having said that we’re not getting any younger and that might work to my advantage.

As you say it doesn't appear to be designed with touring in mind and the top box thing hasn’t been thought through. I’m probably inclined to wait for the new Stelvio to appear. Dealer says later this year but you’re probably right about the schedule. If that’s not too big I might join the queue behind you of course.

I reckon I'll be about 70 when the Stelvio comes out Tony. I've no doubt I'll be top of Teasdales list but, I think it maybe a tad too tall for me. I'm really enjoying being able to get the balls of my feet down on the V100

I reckon I'll be about 70 when the Stelvio comes out Tony. I've no doubt I'll be top of Teasdales list but, I think it maybe a tad too tall for me. I'm really enjoying being able to get the balls of my feet down on the V100

I won’t be far behind you on the longevity scale Steve. Sobering innit:D

Three days and 430mls into ownership. Have my initial thoughts changed? A little, it's even better than I initially thought it was. I'm not fully into the electronics yet, it takes me a while with that sort of thing. Apparently you can change the amount of engine braking in the settings!
I've heard quite a few people ask 'Is it still a Guzzi?' It is much more refined, it handles much better, the gearbox is lovely the clutch is light, it's much quicker, it has far more electronic wizardry than any other Guzzi I have owned or ridden, but that DNA is still there. You could ride this bike blindfold, metaphorically speaking, and you would know without doubt that it was a Guzzi.
For someone of my size and stature, 5'9" short fat legs, it is the perfect fit. I'm not saying it wouldn't suit shorter or taller, fatter or thinner folks, but for me it's the perfect fit.
I've got used to the way the quickshifter works now and it is indeed a very nice addition on the open road, not so useful around town or in heavy traffic, easier just to use the clutch. One thing that I have found very nice is the ability of the bike to run at 7mph with the clutch fully engage, no stuttering or jerking no need the feather the clutch, the fueling is very near perfect.
Out on the open road it's a joy to ride. The power for me is just about spot on. From 45mph in 6th gear it will pull like a train, making overtakes very swift and safe, the brakes are I believe the best I've ever encountered on a bike, lovely feel and never need more than 1 finger. It feels very light once on the move and flicks from side to side without having to wrestle with it, it has got a slight tendency to run wide at speed, but I think this was more me being used to wide bars on adventure bikes. Dipping the shoulder into the corner appeared to overcome this.
Top box looks bloody awful on the Mandello, so I'll have to get used to riding with a rucksack again.
I did purchase a taller screen but didn't like the look of it so put the original back on. It does a good enough job.
Electronic wing things. Not sure, but you can feel it deflects the cold air from the top of your thighs, might be useful in heavy rain.
I've sent for a pyramid plastics front mudguard from the V85tt, I'm sure I can make it fit the V100. Something is definately needed to protect the radiator from all the crud chucked up in this country.
I've a feeling that once Guzzi start putting this engine and technology into other bikes we're going to be seeing an awful lot more Guzzi's on the road.

Theres already a rad guard and cylinder head guards on fleabay for the V100!

Number plate on the floor is a slip hazard…

So , LCR removes the oil dipstick cap … and oil pours out . What’s that all about then ?

Well I've found the Mandello's big fault. It is an absolute pig to fill with fuel. Anything but the steadiest flow of fuel into the tank and it's slopping and spitting all over the place. Not quite sure why it does this, some investigation needed. Apart from that....loving it.

Well I've found the Mandello's big fault. It is an absolute pig to fill with fuel. Anything but the steadiest flow of fuel into the tank and it's slopping and spitting all over the place. Not quite sure why it does this, some investigation needed. Apart from that....loving it.

Both of my Yamahas did this. The filler does not allow air to exit the tank efficiently. The fix was simple, I just used a punch to make a couple of holes in the top of the filler neck. This has the advantage of allowing you to get more fuel in the tank.

Don't use a drill as the swarf will go in the tank

Back
Top Bottom