GPX - A two day route in NE France, Calais / Baie du Somme

Wapping

Reaction score
This easy two day route (I have ridden it in one day, once on Saturday and again on Sunday, running a new bike over a weekend) in northeast France (Calais / Baie du Somme) helps to put the lie to the theory that there are no decent roads in this corner of France. I have also used the same route or near enough for my ‘Beginners jaunt to France’, the only exception then being that I put ut in a little bit of peage at Boulogne northwards, just to show absolute beginners how the paying system works.

Note:

Route 1 starts at the Chunnel in Calais, ending at St Saint-Valery-sur-Somme, a popular enough destination for tourists, which gets pretty crowded in the summer and in French bank holidays. It’s a good idea to book a hotel if you intend to stay in the tourist season. The route is 170 miles.

There is a small deviation out to Parenty. I only put this in as I usually stop there for a picnic lunch. Miss it out if you like.

1723c43ce9e0e1c9f84b555df1ae7944.png

The route ends at a hotel. I haven’t stayed there but I intend to give it a try. The hotel I used to use has closed down, a victim of the Covid shutdown.

Route 2 is from St Valery, back up to Calais. It might, depending on your tank size, be a good idea to fill up on arrival in St Valery. It too is 170 miles.

ROUTES 1 AND 2

Tap on the shields and the two separate routes should open.

And embedded via Google’s My Maps. I put the first day into layer one and the second day, into layer two. They can be viewed together ( both layers at once) or separately.

<iframe src="
" width="640" height="480"></iframe>

Last edited:
It’s a fair cop :D :beerjug: Though this new trick with MyRoute’s ability to embed routes is worthwhile playing around with. BaseCamp is sooo last year, daaahling.

Someone PM’d for a route, so I thought it was a good excuse to share it. There was a very old thread with the same route but the old link had broken. I remade it from a corrupted version.

Yes, I only use Basecamp as a storage back-up for POI and routes I want to keep that sit on my ageing Zumo 390. It's also useful for uploading GPX routes created by others to the Zumo. When the Zumo eventually ceases to be viable I have my archive to export to another device or app. This Win 10 laptop does not have enough oomph to use Basecamp for creating routes.

Give MyRoute a go.

I signed up for it years ago, just when it replaced the old Tyre route creation software, that everyone raved about. I was very sceptical but, after several years, gave it a go. It really is very good and more so besides as it lives on an iPad (or home computer) or even an iPhone. That it links seamlessly with my XT and BMW Connect app, is just a bonus.

I maintain Basecamp as a backup, what I need to do as well is get around to exporting all routes to GPX and stick that on my NAS & in the cloud, MRA is awesome, but if they go bust / get hacked badly then your routes are gone forever....

...As GPX is such a widely used format it seems a safe bet to keep routes in that format somewhere safe.

Indeed so. I back the routes up to BaseCamp (it’s all I use it for now) and in Dropbox.

I do need to do a load of housekeeping in Dropbox, as I was just dumping them in there. Google Drive might be good, too.

This is much appreciated Wapping - all your inputs in fact. If anyone fancies giving it a try and would like company I’ll toddle along too

A two day route in NE France, Calais / Baie du Somme

Thank you.

I went along it last either with ChasMill (off the forum) and some chums from Lloyd’s or with Keith Bounce / Nutty (again off the forum)when Nutty had to run a bike in. I had used it several times previously too, simply as it’s convenient from the Chunnel and makes a reasonable two day break.

It gets really flat around the reclaimed land of the Baie du Somme but it’s ‘interesting’ in as much as it’s different. Not everything has to be twisties and the Alps.

08f270256ac21b33efa855798682705b.png

It also gets quite hilly and woody on day two.

8f59fce570e77818d6441ae086b623a8.png

6db4730ab2a922a5b4a6524186697da6.png

7ec83ea11d76bffa192dbf7b1a54fdd8.png

998bf93491f8d1fc4ca0e2d55f638a5e.jpg

There is a rural open bit bit (I think on day two) where the road, with some interesting bends, can suck the unwary rider into an error, the bend tightening more than it appears to. We had one fellow who very nearly came to grief, his exit from the road thankfully coinciding with a open gate into a field.

The great thing about MyRoute is its easy ability to display Google Streetview, as the pictures above hopefully show. It can also animate the route, to give a birds eye view. I find this useful to check any glitches.

Is it all perfect? Of course not; nothing ever is. But, for two days out (with no great effort) it’s certainly not bad.

This easy two day route (I have ridden it in one day, once on Saturday and again on Sunday, running a new bike over a weekend) in northeast France (Calais / Baie du Somme) helps helps to put the lie to the theory that there are no decent roads in this corner of France. I have also used the same route or near enough for my ‘Beginners jaunt to France’, the only exception then being that I put ut in a little bit of peage at Boulogne northwards, just to show absolute beginners how the paying system works.

Note:

Route 1 starts at the Chunnel in Calais, ending at St Saint-Valery-sur-Somme, a popular enough destination for tourists, which gets pretty crowded in the summer and in French bank holidays. It’s a good idea to book a hotel if you intend to stay in the tourist season. The route is 170 miles.

There is a small deviation out to Parenty. I only put this in as I usually stop there for a picnic lunch. Miss it out if you like.

1723c43ce9e0e1c9f84b555df1ae7944.png

The route ends at a hotel. I haven’t stayed there but I intend to give it a try. The hotel I used to use has closed down, a victim of the Covid shutdown.

Route 2 is from St Valery, back up to Calais. It might, depending on your tank size, be a good idea to fill up on arrival in St Valery. It too is 170 miles.

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="100%" height="562" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allow="geolocation" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com/embed/map/?folder=7641836&lang=en&user=25131&fitmarkers=true&origin=routes&unit=mi"></iframe>

Tap on the shields and the two separate routes should open.

These ‘shield’ links do not work for me: if I click on ‘View route Details’ it tries to open MRA, but it just opens up a blank page. But if I open MRA then it runs perfectly

I should have added that the ‘Save as’ works

As a matter of interest is gpx1.2 or 1.1 the preferred/recommended option ?

1.2 if you are using a modern Garmin device. Or save as a track and ask the device to convert it into a route.

Always check any routes received from a third pary or downloaded, before you leave home. It so often reduces the chances of tantrums and tears later,

This is much appreciated Wapping - all your inputs in fact. If anyone fancies giving it a try and would like company I’ll toddle along too

It’s a day trip for you with no nights in hotels :D

Give MyRoute a go.

I signed up for it years ago, just when it replaced the old Tyre route creation software, that everyone raved about. I was very sceptical but, after several years, gave it a go. It really is very good and more so besides as it lives on an iPad (or home computer) or even an iPhone. That it links seamlessly with my XT and BMW Connect app, is just a bonus.

Basecamp seems to be running a bit faster on the new OSX Ventura on the Mac, but still, if MRA had the capability to create off road routes I would make the switch fully, I certainly will form road trips for this year.

Maybe I need to play about with Google Earth for the off road routes.

Back
Top Bottom