Doc’s French holiday 2023

Wapping

Reaction score
Well Ferry is booked for September. Two weeks trip and now I just need some sort of plan. ;)

It’s going to be epic.

For those that want to join in, I think Doc’s ferry arrives in Holland.

Thanks Wapping.

I would like to stay at Riders Rest for maybe a few days so i am open to suggestions for a stay over on the way down avoiding Gay Paris. 559 miles the direct route which is a bit much for us in one day.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated thanks.

Riders Rest, is here, for anyone looking to join in:

414ee2e3355217013f960decbd09926f.png

As usual, what be handy for bods to know would be:

A. When the ferry arrives (time) - and where

B. When it departs (time) - and where

C. How many days there are between A and B inclusive

D. How long out of C, you wish to stay the Riders Rest

In short, how long have you got between arriving at the ferry terminal and setting sail again to come home?

This might well save bods routing you via the ‘Must do’ Normandy beaches, the Millau bridge, along with the ‘ring, a stretch of the Pyrenees and the Stelvio.

Here’s something to get you started, as you know YOU can do it, don’t you. You just haven’t tried yet….

f3ec7a7ec2657dd148aff963eb243670.png

e2fc7e1ff1afee6a2e34a5501ae2a467.png

7b82bc996391835ed1690c7a50e8b6be.png

Of the three, the ViaMichelin ideas (the second down) possibly looks the more interesting, as it gives three alternatives. You could chose one for the way down and another different one for the way back.

All I did was bung Hook of Holland > Treignac into the three applications and asked the routing engines to exclude motorways and tolls. It was that easy. Fine tune at leisure.

Have yet to decide on the length of stay there.….

As we saw in the bod’s holiday to the Black Forest, the devil is always in the detail.

Off the ferry at Rotterdam for about 9am on the 5th September. Day of riding maybe 250-300 miles a stopover then riders rest

Depending on what roads you take / which way you go, that could leave 300 to 350 miles’ish on day two.

All doable, that’s for sure.

As we saw in the bod;s holiday to the Black Forest, the devil is always in the detail.

Depending on what roads you take / which way you go, that could leave 300 to 350 miles’ish on day two.

All doable, that’s for sure.

Maybe Reims then onto Troyes

Doc, it’s a fairly safe bet that the owners of the digs, will have some routes from the coast to their drum and back.

Just looking on UKGSer, I can see lots of bods have stayed there over the years (even Arsey, who must have been pining for frites avec ketchup and a full English) so you should be flooded with route suggestions. If they can be arsed :augie

Depending on how ‘scenic’ you might want to get on day two (or indeed day one) something along these lines might suit you.

It’s direct (motorways) to Reims. Then motorway to Troyes. Then cross country to Treignac. It’s interesting how the total mileage jumps, if you take more D roads on day two. The direct’ish route between the Hook and Treignac is about 600 miles. This alternative is 700. That is a fairly sizeable difference distance, which on D roads might take three hours, say.

If nothing else, it shows:

A. How tricky it can be to suggest long (600 mile plus) routes to third parties.

B. How important it is to know how long bods have to go from A to B to C.

C. Whether they are roll out bed at 10 AM or are up and at ‘em at 08:00 wheels rolling merchants.

<iframe style="border:none;overflow:hidden" width="600" height="287" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="https://www.myrouteapp.com/embed/route/6928597?lang=en"></iframe>

PS I did it in a rush. It’s not the Bible.

PPS You’d better download it, as I’ll delete it at some point.

PPPS I’d maybe looking at Michelin’s excellent ‘Holiday routes’ map, which is made for long routes things like this. It’s 726. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

1da34dade95508653ce2da631c6678e0.png

It’s large scale and limits itself to the most direct ways to go A to B to C to D, often taking the dedicated non-motorway ‘Bis holiday’ roads. Watch the milages though.

:beerjug:

Three nights booked at Riders Rest. Thanks to Arsey as the website was down.

I can't make it - I'm in Spain June and September.

I can sort out all my own routes myself as I'll probably change my mind anyway as I go!

Doc will probably need a lot of assistance though!

I can sort out all my own routes myself as I'll probably change my mind anyway as I go!

Doc will probably need a lot of assistance though!

I just like asking and keeping people occupied. ;)

I passed close by en route from Marseilles via Limoges to Roscoff so although it did look good to the north east of me, I can't be of any help for routes to there. I might have some suggestions for decent day trips from there though, I'll have a look at a map.

Back
Top Bottom