Twas wet n yucky

King Rat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I was given the heads up about Tong church, which is only 40 miles away so I popped over to have a look, using the back lanes as much as possible but it did mean venturing onto the A5 for about 2 miles. As I got on the A5 my trip meter was at 110 miles, so with a fuel station up the road I pulled in to top up as the light generally comes on about 130 mile mark. When I get close to needing fuel I generally take the easiest opportunity that presents itself rather than having to go looking. I was stunned, a new record for me on the fuel consumption, or rather lack of it: 110.7 miles for 4.33 litres - brimmed last time, brimmed this time, and trip meter reset as always. That is the handy thing about having two trip meters, you can use one for a fuel gauge. :thumby:

Those tyres of Micky's are still going strong too, it looks like 30,000 miles is very realistic from them. The front is fine, the rear is now getting 'iffy', but I am sure I can coax another 680 miles out of it. :D

If you are in the Albrighton area, Tong church is just off the A41, or there are many single track lanes to take around that area. It has some interesting historical links, including the local benefactor's personal friendship with William Shakespeare and Charles Dickens has made mention too.

A little way away Penkridge has a great pub, The Star, where they make scotch eggs, and very fine they are too. The beer was well kept, I went for the Director's at 4.9% and limited myself to two, because I had to wobble back through some more mud covered, tiny lanes. All in all, a great visit to a place I had no idea about beforehand. :beerjug:

Attachments

• DSCN6916.jpg
    DSCN6916.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 262
  • DSCN6920.jpg
    DSCN6920.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 265
  • DSCN6928.jpg
    DSCN6928.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 257
  • DSCN6929.jpg
    DSCN6929.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 256
Talk about keeping it in the family. You can see how the aristocracy are all linked by marriage.

Some more pics:

Attachments

• DSCN6936.jpg
    DSCN6936.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCN6935.jpg
    DSCN6935.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 253
  • DSCN6932.jpg
    DSCN6932.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 254
  • DSCN6934.jpg
    DSCN6934.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 251
I've just finished reading about Richard III and the Stanley family were instrumental in his downfall. They switched sides during the battle of Bosworth and thus ensured a Tudor victory. Although the head of the family was executed for treason a few years later, the family owed its fortunes to that decision! As you say also, holding on to and increasing your wealth and power was about making the right political calls AND the right marriages!

Who needs a continental tour when there's places (and food/beer :drool) like this in the UK? :D

Nice one KR; interesting stuff; do you make a determined effort to to squeeze as many miles as you can from each gallon or is it just your normal frugal riding style;:beerjug:

Thought i recognised the Bike. You're on the MTUK facebook group?

Only 3 miles from me, there is a lot to see around here, RAF cosford museum is only 2 miles away from Tong Church, you also have Boscobel House where King Charles hid in the Oak tree And Ironbridge Gorge the home of the industrial revolution only about 7 miles away.

I've just finished reading about Richard III and the Stanley family were instrumental in his downfall. They switched sides during the battle of Bosworth and thus ensured a Tudor victory. Although the head of the family was executed for treason a few years later, the family owed its fortunes to that decision! As you say also, holding on to and increasing your wealth and power was about making the right political calls AND the right marriages!

Who needs a continental tour when there's places (and food/beer :drool) like this in the UK? :D

Interesting. Chatsworth is somewhere we sometimes go for a walk. I have never been in the house, but Anna likes to go to the farm shop and gaze at the ridiculous prices! Then we go in the cafe and have lunch watching the cattle.

Nice one KR; interesting stuff; do you make a determined effort to to squeeze as many miles as you can from each gallon or is it just your normal frugal riding style;:beerjug:

I think it is just riding smooth and using the torque of the single; rather than whacking the throttle open and then having to brake, point and squirt style. I do tend to cruise at a sedate, but steady pace and don't find I hold people up - sportsbike riders going for it get past easily of course. I will pull off my line to give them room. I just do my own thing. I do like to look after my bikes and so don't cane them. I find being sympathetic is rewarding in the long run. Things tend not to break!

Thought i recognised the Bike. You're on the MTUK facebook group?

Yes I am. It is good for ideas of where to go. That is where I found out about Tong church.

Only 3 miles from me, there is a lot to see around here, RAF cosford museum is only 2 miles away from Tong Church, you also have Boscobel House where King Charles hid in the Oak tree And Ironbridge Gorge the home of the industrial revolution only about 7 miles away.

Some good pubs too! Any ideas gratefully received. Much Wenlock sounds like a worthwhile visit.. the Colonel's Leap.

Some nice trails around much wenlock as well, leading onto long mynd.

Some nice trails around much wenlock as well, leading onto long mynd.

When the Challenge is back from Mr Nicholson I will tap you up for those trials. I hadn't forgotten, I just don't have a bike to tackle them on at the moment... The red 80GS isn't going in mud! I don't mind stoney or grassy trails, but when they are dry. The Challenge is an old nail for the winter, so that can go through anything. :beerjug:

����������

Lies, all lies, here's the true story! :)

I'm seriously jealous of your ¡pub trip Ratty, and it must be nearly thirty years since I had a scotch egg :(

I haven't Simon, I put a row of thumbs up and that is what came up when I pressed enter.
There is a really good campsite within walking g distance of much Wenlock town centre and the first trail within a mile, could be a plan.

I haven't Simon, I put a row of thumbs up and that is what came up when I pressed enter.
There is a really good campsite within walking g distance of much Wenlock town centre and the first trail within a mile, could be a plan.

That really does sound like a plan... I hope they have a couple of trees about 5 paces apart!

Attachments

• 20210905_064105.jpg
    20210905_064105.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 66

Back
Top Bottom