Warranty

Doc

Let's Av It
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My warranty runs out end of September on the RT. I presume I will be contacted if I want to take out an extended warranty ?

Cheers Doc

I was, Doc. A few days before my GS's 3rd birthday, I got a letter from BMW Motorrad.

I asked my dealership (Bowker) if they wanted to perform the transaction instead, but they said easier for me and them to go direct to Motorrad.

It was about £390 for me but I included the EU breakdown cover which I thought was reasonable value all-in.

Normally I would not have bothered (this latest GS is the ONLY bike/car I have ever extended the Warranty) but because of the issues I had with camshaft replacement, several TFT messages (inc; one that resulted in "limp mode") and the chocolate shaft drives, I decided not to take the risk and splashed the cash with BMW... The EU cover add-on was good value I thought compared to buying EU breakdown cover elsewhere, especially as I clocked about 6k miles overseas last year over 2 trips...

Ok thanks. Warranty runs out after my last Euro trip. Eu cover is important for me if I keep the bike and price seams fair.

I wasn't. I phoned the extended warranty people and they said they do not contact people. The BMW blurb says they do :)

I got my renewal request through for the GS and it was about £390 - I decided against it due to there being an excess and a limit of £1000 per claim….. just seemed pointless.

In the last year I opened up a nationwide flex plus account, and for £13 a month you get full AA European breakdown cover, worldwide travel insurance, gadget insurance and fee free transactions abroad.

Just remember if you take out the BMW Insured Warranty that unlike the manufacturers original warranty you have to pay for the repairs at the time and then claim back via a UK dealership on your return home.

Guess how I know that little gem ?

I’ve been paying £44pcm for BMW insured warranty , for the last 5 years . Friends were telling me that I’m nuts . I like security and ‘peace of mind’.
Last year ( GSA1200) I suffered throttle body failure (replaced and didn’t fix the problem ) , ECU replaced (fixed the problem ) and at the same time leaking brake master cylinder reservoir cap seal . (Brembo do not do seal repair kit)
The total repair bill , I calculated , was 4-5 years of premiums !!!
Nothing for me to pay in UK

p.s. I was shocked at the brake reservoir leak repair costs ! If I needed to pay , I would have found a way of fixing the gasket leak … it’s only a reservoir ffs .

I got a letter for my R1200RS but not the XR. There again, I am the only owner for the RS and 2nd owner of the XR. I imagine the original owner got the XR letter.

You can go to https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Start and get a quote, but if you do it now, it might say "not eligible" as you are still in the 3 year warranty.

You don't have to get it the day your 3 year warranty expires. I never extended my warranties but I can still buy one even though there has been over a 2 year gap

Thanks for info lads.

Back
Top Bottom