GPS - I'm undecided, what would you do?

The same as most things, as much as possible.

Not very constructive :D

For example, do you want to use it regularly for full-on proper ‘Off Road’ navigation? If so, your Nav V (whilst still a very good device) might not be your first choice.

Similarly, you haven’t answered the reasonable question as to why you want to mount a phone AND the navigation device onto your bike. If it’s just for calls, you can channel your phone through the Nav V, meaning that you can leave your phone in your jacket / tank bag / tail pack.

Admin... Despite ticking the box to be notified of replies, I'm not receiving notifications - Please fix asap. 👍🏻

Thank you :thumb2 to all those who responded to this post. I'll read them and respond shortly.

Agreed - I am not sure it will do the clever route imports etc of a more complex solution, but I use Maps.me on my phone - download the basemaps at home through wifi and then on the road it just uses GPS data to present the maps correctly, no data usage.

I am not a lover of technology so this really simple solution works well for me.

I will have a look at Maps.Me, this might suit me too because I'm not a keen technology wizz either.

Not very constructive :D

For example, do you want to use it regularly for full-on proper ‘Off Road’ navigation? If so, your Nav V (whilst still a very good device) might not be your first choice.

Similarly, you haven’t answered the reasonable question as to why you want to mount a phone AND the navigation device onto your bike. If it’s just for calls, you can channel your phone through the Nav V, meaning that you can leave your phone in your jacket / tank bag / tail pack.

Fair point. :D

My android (Huawei) :hide smartphone is six years old, the battery struggles to last a day so the main purpose is to keep the damn thing fully charged while riding and in case of breakdown to call for assistance and the very rare incoming calls and lastly when I arrive at my destination or campsite to have a fully charged phone to check in with swmbo.

My Nav V is useful for road trips but perhaps it isn't suitable or durable for trail riding, so maybe a Montana as JB said or a sacrificial cheap donor smartphone.

In truth i think you need both a phone and a dedicated GPS.

A proper sat nav is more rugged and has all maps and routes built in.
and in an emergency like your wife had, you can simply press HOME and follow from anywhere.

a phone is good to have on occasion when you need more detailed info (with a network connection obviously)

The XT seems to be the choice of most people buying a new sat nav for road travel.

I was looking at the Montana 700 last week, looks great for trail riding, but fuck me it's expensive. Then you have to pay 150 quid for OS maps if you want them and a motorcycle mount is another £120 on top.

Madness.

Thanks for all of your recent responses to my thread, unfortunately I'm still not receiving notifications by email notifying me of new posts. Something Admin to fix!

@Barnoe, Wapping and Cookie.

The XT specs are very good and it's a popular GPS but my Nav V is adequate for the road and it also has lifetime updates and I've found a used Garmin motorcycle mount in the back of my wardrobe, so I doubt I'd bother upgrading to an XT for now.

I think as JB and subsequently Wapping has pointed out, a Montana is best suited for my requirements, however Cookie has a valid point, a Montana and accessories are expensive.

I cannot justify spending a chunk of money on a new Montana, particularly when I have a Nav V with lifetime updates, so I shall have a look for any special deals on Montana and kept a lookout for any used, second-hand and unwanted Montana offerings.

As an aside, I hope you are well Cookie. It's been sometime since we at Sid's last event in Devon and our ride around Devon together. My youngest son and I thoroughly enjoyed our ride-out, apart from the equestrian incident, it was a great weekend.

Thanks for all of your recent responses to my thread, unfortunately I'm still not receiving notifications by email notifying me of new posts. Something Admin to fix!

@Barnoe, Wapping and Cookie.

The XT specs are very good and it's a popular GPS but my Nav V is adequate for the road and it also has lifetime updates and I've found a used Garmin motorcycle mount in the back of my wardrobe, so I doubt I'd bother upgrading to an XT for now.

I think as JB and subsequently Wapping has pointed out, a Montana is best suited for my requirements, however Cookie has a valid point, a Montana and accessories are expensive.

I cannot justify spending a chunk of money on a new Montana, particularly when I have a Nav V with lifetime updates, so I shall have a look for any special deals on Montana and kept a lookout for any used, second-hand and unwanted Montana offerings.

As an aside, I hope you are well Cookie. It's been sometime since we at Sid's last event in Devon and our ride around Devon together. My youngest son and I thoroughly enjoyed our ride-out, apart from the equestrian incident, it was a great weekend.

Why did you get a 690R If you’re only going to ride on the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your comprehensive response and detailed information Wapping, very useful. :thumb:

The apps which don't need a mobile signal are useful, not only for being economical with data and data expenses but I reside in a rural valley and mobile signal is very big and miss.
One example, recently I advised my wife to use the old Zumo 660 which I gave her and she decided that she didn't need it and would use Google Maps on her smartphone but when she disembarked at Ouistreham, she successfully navigated around the Caen but shortly afterwards her smartphone lost signal, she panicked and took a wrong turn

Mobile phones rely on several things to triangulate position, one of which is cell towers.
Mobile phones are vastly superior in a few aspects compared to dedicated sat nav units (mostly because Garmin sat on its ass for years with their consumer devices) but they mostly still cannot get a decent fix compared to any dedicated GPS unit.

Just keep that in mind.

You can load different maps on an XT, also a cheap Zumo 396. They just miss the profiles. But one can manage.
Montana has profiles, because the Montana works like Garmin's handhelds line - fully fledged GPS units. Zumo are a riding-touring variation.

Why did you get a 690R If you’re only going to ride on the road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've made an assumption there..... Where did I say that I was only using my 690 for road use only?

My bike is in the UK at this moment, however I plan to bring it to France asap, before the end of this summer at the latest and I will be using my 690 for both road, trail and possibly TET.

Mobile phones rely on several things to triangulate position, one of which is cell towers.
Mobile phones are vastly superior in a few aspects compared to dedicated sat nav units (mostly because Garmin sat on its ass for years with their consumer devices) but they mostly still cannot get a decent fix compared to any dedicated GPS unit.

Just keep that in mind.

You can load different maps on an XT, also a cheap Zumo 396. They just miss the profiles. But one can manage.
Montana has profiles, because the Montana works like Garmin's handhelds line - fully fledged GPS units. Zumo are a riding-touring variation.

Although Garmin isn't perfect, and like other GPS and electronic gizmos they have their limitations and are superceded quite quickly, I've never had a problem with Garmin. Many moons ago, I bought a handheld (Oregon) which I used for sailing linked to a chart plotter and also had UK wide Ordnance Survey mapping on a memory card and it worked ok but now with colour screens and loads more tech, the Oregon is lacking on many fronts.

I've owned a couple of Zumo (550 and 660) and now the Nav V, but although the latter is adequate for road use, it is limited for trail use, particularly when compared to the Montana. Another concern with the Nav V is it's ruggedness and durability on trails, especially if a bike is dropped, having said that, I think that this is also the Achilles Heel of smartphones.
I'm somewhat concerned about using and relying on a smartphone for trail riding, unless as was previously mentioned using two smartphones which is a good idea. If a smartphone is used for both navigation and as a phone and it is broken in a fall, along with a leg..... The rider is in a world of pain in more ways than one.

I've owned a couple of Zumo (550 and 660) and now the Nav V, but although the latter is adequate for road use, it is limited for trail use, particularly when compared to the Montana. Another concern with the Nav V is it's ruggedness and durability on trails, especially if a bike is dropped, having said that, I think that this is also the Achilles Heel of smartphones.
I'm somewhat concerned about using and relying on a smartphone for trail riding, unless as was previously mentioned using two smartphones which is a good idea. If a smartphone is used for both navigation and as a phone and it is broken in a fall, along with a leg..... The rider is in a world of pain in more ways than one.

Yep.

The Zumo 660 was a poor excuse for a sat nav.
The 396, XT, etc run on different software and are marginally better. The XT is way better hardware-wise.

For me, offroad, I want button operated units when possible. I use a GPSmap 64s on my DRZ. Only weak point is the USB power inlet (60csx had its own sturdy connector).
XT on the GS for travel use and offroad where necessary switching maps.

I never understood the obsession with OS maps. I do have them on the 64, but I actually use a different sent of maps based on OSM/Council Data when offroad both on the 64 and XT with right of ways marked in.
Same, when in Europe, as OS are obviously not a thing.

OS = Ordnance Surrvey
OSM = OpenStreet Map

Again, choose what is easier for you: my only advice is, if you go with a mobile phone, consider the GPS fix issue in low reception areas.

Yep.

I actually use a different sent of maps based on OSM/Council Data when offroad both on the 64 and XT with right of ways marked in.

Again, choose what is easier for you: my only advice is, if you go with a mobile phone, consider the GPS fix issue in low reception areas.

Re: OS maps. Great for planning, but way too cluttered for navigation on a GPS for general navigation. Open Street Map is far easier to follow for me.

I use OSMand off road with uses OSM maps, but doesn't indicate ROWs. Arte you saying you add the ROW data somehow?

Never had any issue with GPS location in the many low reception areas I go. In fact, come to think of it, I use the phone in Airplane mode 99% of the time to conserve battery.

RD I'm well thanks, but the memory is not even what it was, "equestrian incident"?

I mainly used a Samsung Activ tab on my GSA greenlaning. It's the version 1 so obsolete now. I'm currently using a Ulephone "rugged phone" with Outdoor Active (it's a terrible app) but unfortunately OA bought out Viewranger and made it obsolete. It works well most of the time. The GPS is a bit hit and miss on this phone at times but a phone reset usually sorts that out.
I've the UK TET on it which changes periodically as well as my accumulated traces from rides and imported GPX files from others. As Wapping has recommended for most greenlaning activities a phone will suffice especially if IP rated and ultimately it's a phone not just a GPS.

Re: OS maps. Great for planning, but way too cluttered for navigation on a GPS for general navigation. Open Street Map is far easier to follow for me.

Plus it is a raster map, so you cannot zoom in too much.

I use OSMand off road with uses OSM maps, but doesn't indicate ROWs. Arte you saying you add the ROW data somehow?

I use John Thorn's Garmin maps. He uses OSM and overlays council data.
Been offroad with this, and also hiking, both in England and Wales and they proved very good for what I need.
ROW are indicated, BOATs are in mauve colour. I usually go around London and all the routes I do are indicated accordingly as BOATs. Of course I keep an eye for any signs at the entrance points. Just being sensible.

There is a few posts (by me) on here about those, but:

On the 396
thorns01.jpg

thorns02.jpg

On XT
thornmarl.jpg

visible in the video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXoffv8STmw

64dr.png

https://www.the-thorns.org.uk/mapping/help/ukgarmin.html

He updates them every year.

Very happy with those, especially for the price.

Hope it is helpful!

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out :thumb

I nearly bought a GPS64 a few months back, but I just missed it. I have a 60csx which works well except it's limited to <500 shaping points which is not many these days. I also have a 396 which I've never considered for off roading.

Back
Top Bottom