POI recommendations for trip

Barnoe

Moto Vlogger
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
so THIS is my first draft of the route.... which i will change a fair bit :)

This started as a Black Forest Trip... then the Eagles Nest was added etc

I'm not really wanting to make it too much longer, but for those that know better than me.
does this route go past or close to anything that is a must see? or roads that area must ride?

i am open to a totally changed route if someone has a great idea.
Any comments welcome, 2 of us are leaving on 28/07/2023 and I've taken 14 days off work.
also we are camping, so camp sites advice welcome too

Personally where you turn north towards Stuttgart I would cut across south east towards Ravensburg, Lindau, Bregenz and then east via St Anton am Arlberg, Innsbruck , Kitzbuhel on to Salzburg (the route you have from Stuttgart is faster but boring). If you are in the area of Berchtesgarten you are literally within spitting distance of the Grossglockner and it would be a waste not to fit it in.

If you do the Grossglockner get there early in the day to get a good run before the coaches and the campervans get onto the road.

Just so people know how many things to see and do, where to stop etc etc over your trip, does the 14 days get reduced by two days, to cater for you getting from Rochdale to the mainland of Europe and back to Rochdale? In other words, you have 12 full days for your entire holiday, of which one will be spent at the Eagle’s Nest, leaving 11 days.

Moving on from that basic question. What is the main purpose of your trip? Do you want to spend maybe three of your perhaps 11 days, in the Black Forest? I ask this as it was apparently your original plan. If so, you have to reduce say, 11 by three, to give eight days. Spread evenly, that is four either way, or perhaps better:

Three days (if you want to see ‘stuff’ en-route) between the coast and the Black Forest and five for the full section of the Black Forest to the Eagle’s Nest and back to the coast, seeing ‘stuff’ along the way.

Await you words. In the meantime, it’s all doable.

The view from the Eagles Nest is fantastic - on a nice day. If the weather is bad or cloudy - you won't see a thing, but it's still a good experience.

At Ulm you could go south and pick up the Deutsch alpenstrasse then to Berchtesgaden. You appear to go near st Wolfgang. Shame not to go to Schafbergespitze for the night.

If you are going north of Munich then you MUST go to Dachau concentration camp. It was a concentration camp during the war (started out as political prisoner camp who spoke up against the Nazi's but then grew) and as you can imagine has a very hard hitting past. I would highly recommend it as you are literally passing it.

Its just on the outskirts of Munich and is completely free with loads of parking etc and quite a bit to see, including the chambers and ovens :ronno

For the Eagles Nest and the Grossglockner check the webcams before committing to doing them , if the weather is poor it is a waste of time .

Also with Berchtesgaden it is well worth visiting the Konigsee and the salt mines, you are also within a few miles of Werfen (Where Eagles Dare) Castle but there is no cable car

So many places you could visit within spitting distance of your route, you would need a lot more time to visit them all, decide what is important to you, and then see if you can fit (any, all or none) of the suggestions you get. For instance you could spend a week in Verdun alone if world war stuff is what you are into, and you are going right past it, or maybe just an hour or two.
So much to see and not enough time to see it is always an issue.

Lee, is on the same page of the hymn book as me and singing the same hymn, to the same tune.

It’s all about time and distance. It always is. It’s why I always start by being sure of the time available. If for instance it transpires that home to the UK coast takes a day and it’s a leisurely start on day two from the UK to cross the water, then it’s not 12 full days but something less. If though it’s leave Rochdale in the middle of the night, hot foot to the coast, cross straight over and crack-on on day one, then the time available at the start of the holiday expands.

It might sound dull asking for this basic confirmation of time available, whilst bods start suggesting all sorts of ‘Must do’ points of interest (they are usually very silent on how to join them up and completely silent on where to stay) over a route of over 2000 miles but it holds the key to any holiday. We saw exactly the same thing with the fellow from north Wales trying to do Lord knows what in six days. It’s a recurring theme on these pages.

Not least, the fellow will probably lose time as he is camping. Me? I might suggest overnighting in hotels on the way down and back but camping, where you are settled for a couple of days. I find it works for me.

german alpine road would fit in well with your plans, brilliant road from berchtesgaden

german alpine road.jpg

@Wapping
we plan to travel our first night from home (after work) and be in France the first morning, maybe travel a shortish distance and camp somewhere
Going home would be the same, so the plan is first and last days will be long days putting miles in.
i dont mind other days being long too, just not day after day... that gets old quick.

Regarding the Black Forest and time there, its a short distance and although there will be much to see, i think 2 days will be time to move on.
we are camping to keep costs down, hotels could double the price of the trip

@Neil W & @Phil Magill
Duly noted, Grossglockner looks amazing!

@Bigcats
Sounds good, i did Auschwitz-Birkenau last June

@leedude03
So much to see and not enough time is becoming a real saying here.
its likely only a couple of hours each day will be spent off bike, the rest on it... apart from camp at each end of the day obviously.
if we happen to be staying in a town of interest at night that could kill two birds with one stone?

@Pablo
Looks a good run i can see this route changing shape!

OK, so now we know a bit more.

Looking at your map in post 1, you have routed yourself via Calais for the outward and the return, travelling anti-clockwise through the Black Forest, on to the Eagle's Nest, then past Cologne, simply (I can only guess) to get to Arnhem (through which you pass) and back to Calais. This involves a bloody big loop past Cologne, Dusseldorf, and Essen ie. broadly speaking the Rhine / Ruhr cities. It is bloody crowded around there, trust me. You have though missed the Dam Buster dams, which lie to the east of Dortmund. I only mention these before some other fellow does.

You didn't mention Arnhem in your opening post, is that another 'Must Do'? If so, how about this:

1. The perceived wisdom from our friends in the north, is NOT to use the Calais crossing. But, instead use the North Sea crossing to Holland.

2. This might have an advantage if you reversed the direction, knocking off Arnhem on the way past (it's probably a day off if you do the the museums and other stuff but a ride through if you just want to tick a box) and then going down to the Eagle's Nest, via Linz, if Linz is a 'Must Do' place, too.

3. Then across to the Black Forest and home, via the North Sea from there.

4. You could pick up the 'Must Do' Vosges / Ardennes on the way back up and maybe some WW1 'stuff' too, if that is your thing and time permits.

Await your words.

:beerjug:

PS A 'Couple of hours off the bike each day', can be taken up with just a coffee stop, lunch, a fuel stop and another coffee stop. That is before you have stopped to see 'stuff'. But, as you '....did Auschwitz-Birkenau' last June, you'll know how far you'll go each day over the 2,000 miles of your holiday 2023, way better than any of us.

Wapping as usual makes a few good points with reference to how short stops soon become big time eaters, and also how a couple of B and B or hotel stops on the way or on the way back will save you much time, i would give them some thought.
My advice would be to get into France on your first night if at all possible, i know it is around 300 mles from where you start and you are not starting till after work, but trust me it will pay dividends the following day.
It would mean getting a late check in in a hotel around somewhere like Saint Omer or other places close to Calais, but then you can get a good start the next day with no tunnel/ferry to deal with and your hour will already be lost.
From Saint Omer or around that area you could be somewhere close to Baden Baden by late afternoon depending on time of start, and how many stops you have to press flowers or fuel and pee stops. this is just my ten peneth worth take it or leave it that is up to you, but most of all enjoy and stay safe on your trip.

I had missed the bit about the fellow leaving after work and trundling down to France, camping somewhere near Calais on the first night, if I now read it correctly. What time do you leave work / Rochdale to do this?

Is it possible to time shift and catch the ferry across the North Sea to Holland instead?

Ferries from Hull to Rotterdam are overpriced 1 person and bike £420 return.
which is why we decided on Dunkirk / Calais as its £96 return

I will have the bike loaded ready on the Thursday night.
I finish work at 4pm on the Friday 28/07/2023 and will set off to Dover and get at least half a days travel in on the Saturday morning.
That should give us time to rest and a good start for the full day Sunday.

Ferries from Hull to Rotterdam are overpriced 1 person and bike £420 return.
which is why we decided on Dunkirk / Calais as its £96 return

I will have the bike loaded ready on the Thursday night.
I finish work at 4pm on the Friday 28/07/2023 and will set off to Dover and get at least half a days travel in on the Saturday morning.
That should give us time to rest and a good start for the full day Sunday.

What cabin was that for ? I paid £332 outside cabin.

£332 is still 3 times the Dover cost.

is it just me, google wont plan a route through Großglockner for some reason.
it goes half way then goes all the way round instead of just following the 107?

£332 is still 3 times the Dover cost.

is it just me, google wont plan a route through Großglockner for some reason.
it goes half way then goes all the way round instead of just following the 107?

Few quid more and convenience wins it for me.

Back
Top Bottom