Good news and bad news

Brendan W

Reaction score
Well the good news is that I found the missing screw from the front master reservoir cap. There was a nasty rusty cheese head thing on there.
The bad news is that it was holding the throttle cable plastic cover in place, screwed in halfway, crooked and chewing up a thread or three on the master assy :rolleyes:
Now I'm looking at the bike and wondering, what else?

And the model/year of bike is ???

R1100R pre-facelift, registered 97, 18000 mlles. Has the clock and tacho and BMW panniers. Removed a GPS mount jammed under the bars and I think the ARM screen is going to go as well. Too noisy even with it's variable slot thingy.

There was a thread on here about high mileage bikes v lower mileage. The kind of problems you seem to be having bear out the thoughts that higher mileage tends to have all those kind of problems sorted. JJH

There was a thread on here about high mileage bikes v lower mileage. The kind of problems you seem to be having bear out the thoughts that higher mileage tends to have all those kind of problems sorted. JJH

At least someone opened the master reservoir which might mean the fluid was changed?
Going through everything bit by bit. Only real issues are maybe it needs a throttle balance and five minutes or less on the 2A trickle charger makes the difference between a clean ABS start or not. The horn is badly corroded and not working.
I'm coming from a Suzuki GS850G, had an R100RT. This machine is light years ahead, particularly the brakes and the lack of effort needed to turn. It's a bit jittery on bad surfaces. I suspect the sag may need looking at. Both shocks look fairly new Hagons.

I'm coming from a Suzuki GS850G, had an R100RT.

Bloody hell, another serial bike swapper!

I see you're new Brendan. You'll find that plenty of members here will think nothing of upgrading to the latest GS every couple of years, so it really made me smile to see that you're enjoying the upgrade from a GS850G to a '97 R1100.

Welcome and once it's sorted you're probably going to absolutely love it. The oilheads are brilliant bikes, should happily see you through to 2035 or so. :beerjug:

Bloody hell, another serial bike swapper!

I see you're new Brendan. You'll find that plenty of members here will think nothing of upgrading to the latest GS every couple of years, so it really made me smile to see that you're enjoying the upgrade from a GS850G to a '97 R1100.

Welcome and once it's sorted you're probably going to absolutely love it. The oilheads are brilliant bikes, should happily see you through to 2035 or so. :beerjug:

Alright then, I'll serial swap this one out at ten years max:D
I'm starting to realise that EFI might be complex but is so reliable, carbs are hassle and points.... well you can feel them go off fairly quick. I had gone to the Dark Side with a Piranha on the GS850.
This telelever thing reminds me of our 1990 Citroen BX, brakes like a cat, four feet flat on the road.
My therapist reckons I'm a recovering nostalgiaholic?

Back
Top Bottom