Restore and convert to SM 17"

Regarding U joint with grease nipple: just to confirm to you all its the original driveshaft with old u joints removed and new ones fitted. Was done by a profesional shop. They measured everything and found some car steering ones that where the correct size, they are press fit and punched and not going anywhere.
Grease nipples are in place on both ends dont seem to interfere as far as I can tell. I do have cap bolts to fit if I do find it touches. I also dont fit the snap rings on the shaft. No sure there needed really.

I also dont fit the snap rings on the shaft. No sure they’re needed really.

The snap ring is only fitted to the gearbox end of the drive shaft. The other end that fits the final drive is a sliding spline.

Without a snap ring holding the driveshaft to the gearbox output shaft, it won’t be long before the driveshaft drops off gearbox output shaft and the drive shaft will be free to flail about inside the transmitting tunnel driven by the back wheel until the bike comes to a gentle stop if your lucky. Or the whole drive shaft could lock up causing an uncontrolled back wheel skid…….:eek:.

Haha I get what your saying but there’s no we’re near enough play for it to come free. But I’ll put it back for ya xd

Im not sure there is a snap ring for the 1200gs. Motoworks dont sell one and there no part number on realoem

nice work:thumb2:thumb2 although the rear preload adjuster seems to be in a odd position,, but if it works for you :)

Drive shaft snap ring

Part No 26118527718

Motor works do sell them.

Attachments

• 17168E0A-E05B-4846-9DC2-024FE1DDB0E5.jpeg
    17168E0A-E05B-4846-9DC2-024FE1DDB0E5.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 47
Interesting, but that’s only for 06models and over. Not for 04-06 which mine is. Mine shows no part. They maybe added it who knows anyway mines been fine for years and about 20k without

Interesting, but that’s only for 06models and over. Not for 04-06 which mine is. Mine shows no part. They maybe added it who knows anyway mines been fine for years and about 20k without

I can see that now, how strange that they reverted back to a snap ring on later models.

Anyway Sorry for interrupting your great project.

No worries appreciate it. Better to check :) it does have the slot in the output of the gearbox for it, but don’t really know. Anyway there’s no way the drive shaft is coming out if that makes sense there’s no where near enough play. Something come to mind. Does the shaft have a correct direction? Don’t suppose it matters. I put the Cush drive on the gearbox side

Modified Bikes and Cars Day at Hub 71 in Glenrothes from 11:00 am this Sunday, if you want to show it off...:thumb2

So I called up a BMW mechanic I know, and he clarified the driveshaft spring clip for me:

The only reason it’s there is to stop the driveshaft from “falling”out when taking the final drive off to change the oil, and generating more work getting it back into place. Absolutely no issue leaving it off, if anything he told me it’s almost more of a pain to fit the bloody clip than it is to refit the shaft if it did come of from the gearbox side when pulling the final drive off.

Good to get clarification. He also told me driveshaft only goes on in one direction so impossible to fit incorrectly.

Took it out for its first ride yesterday, My main concern was geometry change, Im pretty good with suspension setups from my club racing days.
I run the GS pretty firm compared to what normal GS feels like. total travel is 200mm rear and 190mm front. With that in mind I run 40mm(aprox) of rider sag front and rear, to achieve this I had to wind on the front spring preload a couple turns as there was more weight on the front that previously. my rear spring preload is back off almost all the way to get the right sag.
This is with just me riding, so theres plenty of rear preload adjustment for when touring 2 up with luggage I can always get 40mm sag front (doesn't change much when adding rear weight) and 40mm rear by hand turning the preload adjuster. with my wife and luggage it sinks to closer to 60mm sag, which is still perfect for the GS.

Handling wise, first impressions, excellent turn in! not snappy, just feels great and stable, correct sag is the key! normal sized tyres make the bike feel more planted to/

Brake wise, now this may not be just the upgraded Brembo MC, but a combination of the smaller front wheel and the MC. but holly crap does this thing come to a stop with some force now! and not force at the lever, what a massive upgrade, I always felt the brakes where ok on the GS, but not great. The feel with the 19x18 MC is fantastic and the smaller wheel must be adding to the braking effectiveness to.

Couple wee niggles left are readjusting the handlebar position, bleed the brakes again as still a little spongy, and one of the fork seals is leaking, so ill replace that.

I also after the messages here, took of the final drive to inspect the drive shaft, there is no contact with the newly installed grease nipples. all good :)

Back
Top Bottom