USB powered Sat Nav

jp842

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Is there a dedicated motorcycle satnav unit out there that is powered directly from a USB output on the bike? Most seem to require wiring to the battery. Garmin units allow USB charging off the bike, but access to the mini USB is covered by the powered mount. I want a unit that I can just plug into the USB on the bike.

Have a look at the Zumo XT which can be powered by usb (as in the car) it just wouldn’t be waterproof but you’ll find that whatever you use.

I just power up my tomtom from the din plug on my RT. No issues in the rain.

I used the XT powered via USB briefly on one of my bikes.
Beware of the amperage of the USB socket you use. Mine was rated over 2A, but still didn't manage to keep up with the Zumo's battery draining and you'd lose 50% backlight at some point if the battery goes down.

The XT also doesn't recognise a USB-power only cable and ask to go into USB mode all the time (unless software updates changed this).

I use an USB plug (but the cable is wired in) on my 64s as it is the only way to power it on the bike. As said above: not waterproof (but survived a few fords). Also the mini USB socket/plug combo doesn't look sturdy as the old 4 pin connector on the 60 or the surface contacts on the Zumo's plate mounts.

My 2 cent: where you can, wire in. ;)

Due to many / most motorcycle gps devices being designed to run on a cradle, possible water ingress through the socket on the back of the device might be your biggest problem. That and the design hindering easy access to the socket on the rear of the device.

If you want something easy to power from your bike’s usb socket, maybe consider using a phone?

I did this application using an my old Etrex Legend mounted behind on a screen mount on my R850R for several years and it worked for me.

As it also had an on board battery if there was rough weather I would just unplug it and run it on the battery.

For a number of years, I ran this application on my R850R while using an ancient Etrex Legend that I had installed behind the screen using a screen mount. It was successful for me.

Because it also came with its own battery, if there was bad weather I would just disconnect it and let it run on the battery instead of being plugged in. monkey mart

Not sure what bike you have but if you have a Bmw you could tap into the powered connector for the cradle with one of these. https://www.nippynormans.com/r-nine...any-garmin-or-tomtom-gps-into-the-bmw-harness
I connected a usb port to this cable.

If using USB be mindful that if the usb connector gets wet it can play havoc. Phones and tablets in particular will refuse to charge if they detect moisture. For quite a while I used a basic car sat nav tucked in behind the screen. It got a few splashes on it but worked fine for several years. Still have it in fact. I eventually replaced with with a zumo 550 but actually the car one was better as it had a bigger screen. Though the 550 accommodated more waypoints.

If it's just UK use I would use an IP rated phone. Plenty of "rugged phones" to choose from and just use Google maps.

The zumo 395 was indeed powered from 12v but iirc it had a step down unit in the lead to the cradle and I believe this stepped it down to usb voltage (5v).
If this is the case it would be possible to snip out the step down and pop a usb plug on it.

Good gps unit too!

Back
Top Bottom