MPH to KMPH

LochLaddie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm doing a EU tour this year and wondered if it was possible to change the digital display on a 2014 R1200GS from MPH to KMPH using the MotorScan software?

Is it possible :nenau

Just multiply mph by 1.6 and you have kph.

e.g. 50mph = 80kph.

Just multiply mph by 1.6 and you have kph.

e.g. 50mph = 80kph.

I'm good with the mental arithmetic. If the display functionality is possible it would be a useful addition.

What's the dashboard like? All digital?

I can change the (fully digital) dash of my HP2S from miles to km with Motoscan. Did it a few times already.

It is very easy:

30 kph = 20 mph (near enough)

50 kph = 30 mph

80 kph = 50 mph

100 kph = 60 mph

120 kph = 70 mph

It is not difficult to remember. People did it for years without a calculator or magic speed displays. If you are really stuck, halve the kph limit displayed on the roadside sign. You’ll be under the speed limit, as the basic table above shows.

PS Modern Garmin GPS devices have the bike’s current speed displayed by default. The display changes red, when the known speed limit is exceeded. It works just the same abroad, without you doing anything.

Can your sat nav not be changed to KPH?
use the speedo on that... more accurate tbh

its usually just a quick menu option

I'm doing a EU tour this year and wondered if it was possible to change the digital display on a 2014 R1200GS from MPH to KMPH using the MotorScan software?

Is it possible :nenau

Yes it is. I have chnged all my digital readouts from Km to miles - ie the MPG, Miles left to empty etc. This was on a F650 but MotorScan works with the 1200s as well.

What's the dashboard like? All digital?

I can change the (fully digital) dash of my HP2S from miles to km with Motoscan. Did it a few times already.

From the internet my dash is similar to:

https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/408594669/BMW_1200GS_Instrument_Visor.html

Yes it is. I have chnged all my digital readouts from Km to miles - ie the MPG, Miles left to empty etc. This was on a F650 but MotorScan works with the 1200s as well.

What MotorScan menu should I use?

It is very easy:

30 kph = 20 mph (near enough)

50 kph = 30 mph

80 kph = 50 mph

100 kph = 60 mph

120 kph = 70 mph

It is not difficult to remember. People did it for years without a calculator or magic speed displays. If you are really stuck, halve the kph limit displayed on the roadside sign. You’ll be under the speed limit, as the basic table above shows.

PS Modern Garmin GPS devices have the bike’s current speed displayed by default. The display changes red, when the known speed limit is exceeded. It works just the same abroad, without you doing anything.

Tell 'em son :thumby:

:beerjug:

Can your sat nav not be changed to KPH?
use the speedo on that... more accurate tbh

its usually just a quick menu option

I have a nav 5 and every time I have been abroad the display change’s to kph after a few miles/kilometers .

Since I understand OP allready has nailed the math, the short question is : No.

The instrument cluster shows the value with a pointer that points to a scale on the background. (Os OP knows :D). Later models got a combined scale that shows both km/h and mph.

BMW would never allow for the needle to show km/h if the scale background displayes mph, even if it in theory it would be possible to change the software and allow the needle to show the correct number.

Besides, I'm sure that in some countries this option would be illegal....

Since I understand OP allready has nailed the math, the short question is : No.

The instrument cluster shows the value with a pointer that points to a scale on the background. (Os OP knows :D). Later models got a combined scale that shows both km/h and mph.

BMW would never allow for the needle to show km/h if the scale background displayes mph, even if it in theory it would be possible to change the software and allow the needle to show the correct number.

Besides, I'm sure that in some countries this option would be illegal....

The OP has asked the question about the digital speed display, which is part of the functions of the earlier dash layouts, and works alongside the needle analogue display.

Yes it is possible to change from MPH to KPH. I had mine done for free by a dealer during a service. I think it can also be carried out with GS911 and possibly Motoscan.

Tell 'em son :thumby:

:beerjug:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lFGavUOpO8s" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gjhghj

Just use an app and your phone with GPS on and then you are all set...no data being used etc

Or as I do use google maps which will automictically use KMH when in Europe

At around 11:00 AM yesterday, I moved this post from the Travel section, hoping that the answer to the bod’s quite simple question - as to whether it can be done and how - would be provided by the ‘Technical’ section quite quickly and accurately.

The OP has asked the question about the digital speed display, which is part of the functions of the earlier dash layouts, and works alongside the needle analogue display.

Yes it is possible to change from MPH to KPH. I had mine done for free by a dealer during a service. I think it can also be carried out with GS911 and possibly Motoscan.

Learning something new every day.. :okay

Thank you :D

Most people in Ireland have been doing it for years. We changed from mph about 20 years or so ago. It’s a simple thing to do in your head as you drive/ride along. JJH

Most people in Ireland have been doing it for years. We changed from mph about 20 years or so ago. It’s a simple thing to do in your head as you drive/ride along. JJH

Whilst the generation who were just born when the change came in and are themselves now drivers, think nothing of miles at all, I assume.

Back
Top Bottom