Dusseldorf to Verona - BY TRAIN

MAR.600

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Looking for some info has anyone used
The use of the train as above , looking at the reviews are not very good regarding condition of bedding etc .
Trains cancelled at the last minute.
Just trying to reduce travel spend more
Time in Italy.
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

I travelled on the autorail from Vienna to Dusseldorf, 2016. Due to time constraints, the other option would have been 2 motorway days and an overnight stay. I probably wouldn't use the train again, my main reservations:-
Took ages to load and we were only allowed 'fixed' panniers to be left on the bike, no soft luggage or bags.
I had to ride a GSA onto the carriage with my chin on the tank due to there being cars loaded on the upper deck.
The passenger carriages had seen better days and they were very hot all night, I didn't sleep wel at all, it was noisy. The bunk were three high on both sides of the carriage. One toilet per carriage, no shower etc.
Breakfast was a small plastic beaker of orange juice and a bread roll.
Took ages for them to unload us at Dusseldorf.
It did a job but was expensive and fairly unpleasant.

Hi
Looking for some info has anyone used
The use of the train as above , looking at the reviews are not very good regarding condition of bedding etc .
Trains cancelled at the last minute.
Just trying to reduce travel spend more
Time in Italy.
Cheers

German railways are just as badly timetabled and run as British ones were 20 years ago.
The era of German efficiency has gone and you’re probably more likely to experience lateness, disruption and overcrowding over there than you would on British trains, Trans Pennine excepted.

I’ve used it twice as far as Innsbruck and would definitely use it again.

The train left later than scheduled, but arrived exactly on time, we bought food in the station before loading.

Excellent service, not cheap.

German railways are just as badly timetabled and run as British ones were 20 years ago.
The era of German efficiency has gone and you’re probably more likely to experience lateness, disruption and overcrowding over there than you would on British trains, Trans Pennine excepted.

We used the express train into and out of Munich, spotlessly clean, punctual and with seats, a far cry from the London to Bristol trains.

The Düsseldorf train to Innsbruck and Verona is run by an Austrian company.

Thanks for the info lads .
Looking at the reviews not to good.
Ah well looks like a bimble across Europe.
Can't be to bad

Its rarely the money, but the time for me these days.

Pre Kid I would just take more time for the trip, swop 2 days of motorway for an interesting 3 day route etc.

IF there was a train that would whizz me from the south of England, through the tunnel and on for another three hours at 100+ MPH dropping me off so the following day I just had a nice back road run to the tarn Gorge / Alps etc that would be perfect, I don't mean like the chunnel trains carrying on further, I mean park bike and go and sit in a comfy seat so I can have snooze, read a book while the "boring part" of France flashes by in a blur.

I can imagine the cost of a good sleeper train is never gonna fly with me, I would want a decent cabin with my own bog, seeing as it is generally cheaper to fly than get a train from one end of this country to the other I could never see a really good sleeper train service being affordable.

This is what I’d love. Even if it was the other side of the channel but to get onto an overnight train and ride all the way to the alps overnight. I’d like to think there is a market but if there was it would probably already be running!

I’ve looked at the urelabs one and the appalling reviews have put me off it

Back
Top Bottom