V85TT oil consumption

nud1e

Reaction score
Got my V85TT on 1June 2022 with 1350 miles. Serviced last week with the 6220 miles. Bike is 2020 build, registered in March 2021. Over the near 5000 miles the bike has used almost 1.5 litres of oil.
I think this is excessive and considering a warranty claim.
Your thoughts.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Old air cooled boxers used 1:0 litre every 1000 miles from memory.

Must check my v85 oil level lol.

I think this is excessive and considering a warranty claim.

What for Micheal ?

Excessive oil usage in a brand new engine that likely won;t be "run in " until 10,000 plus miles

Try that trick that I did with my 1200 I used to be religious in topping it up and then a fella said something that resonated with me :rob

Sure the pistons and crank batter and beat the oil to a vapour and it gets sucked through the intake!

Let it find its own level by not topping up every 100ccs it looks like it needs! then the level is lower and its not beating the oil into vapour so much, but there's plenty for the engine lubrication

It worked for my 1200 I went from a litre and a half between services to about half a litre

And I have passed it on to anyone who complains about oil usage

Do you let your V85T sit on it's sidestand before moving it into the garage??

I wonder has it the same bit of extra capacity via the oil cooler the way the GS's have :rob
Never a bother if you only ever use the centre stand on the bike but once you stick it on the side stand while hot you get another dose of oil to the sump out of the cooler and appear over full :blast

Last edited:
Sounds excessive to me. My V85TT is on 20k miles and barely using any oil...
Are you using really good oil? I'm using Motul 7100 4T 10w-60 Ester Synthetic Racing Motorcycle Engine Oil and it barely moves on the sightglass between services...

Guessing you didn't put the original oil in? I would put "good stuff" in and monitor usage.

If it's still burning it (assuming not leaking it!) get a compression check?

Good stuff going in Valvoline Racing VR1 10W60 synthetic.
No oil cooler, but tried all variations of sidestand and centrestand to ensure all oil returned to sump.
Rode 17 miles from the dealer service and the sight glass in showing about 4/5 oil.

Good stuff going in Valvoline Racing VR1 10W60 synthetic.
No oil cooler, but tried all variations of sidestand and centrestand to ensure all oil returned to sump.
Rode 17 miles from the dealer service and the sight glass in showing about 4/5 oil.

I’d check again in an hour, and then again after a few more hours. It might rise to the top line as the engine cools and oil finds its way back to the sump.

For the record my 2019 V85 uses about 500ml ish between services. I can’t say I check it regularly or frequently, just when I remember and when it’s stone cold. A top up from the bottom line doesn’t need much - probably just a 100ml or so. I inevitably go over the top line after it’s all settled but as it’s probably like 25ml or something over I don’t worry about it.

When you consider the total engine oil capacity is only 1.8 litres, on longer trips I would keep a closer eye on it at that rate of consumption. Does sound excessive given that other owners I have spoken to have not reported high consumption. Mine uses about 250ml over the same distance. Having said that, my GSA TC used quite a bit of oil for the first few thousand miles, but now minimal, so I would suspect it will resolve by 10k or so.

i used to be a guzzi dealer.
we sold about 40 small blocks a year , i only ever had 1 that drank oil , it was because the valves had been poorly, if at all , cut into the seats.
he had used twice the amount of oil you have. i got him to only top it up when it hit minimum.
the fault didn't show on either, a leakdown or a compression test , strangely . it was only cos we took it to bits to inspect it , cos it was such an anomaly , seats recut , bolted together , .... oil problem gone.

yes i know it doesn't make sense , welcome to the world of Guzzi.

I've always, apart from once, run my bikes in fairly hard. I haven't thrashed them, but certainly gone well over the suggested rev limits, with plenty of up and down the gearbox.
Never used a drop of oil, even on GS's.
The only time I had any problem with a bike burning oil was a GS that I had run in to the letter of BMW's recommendation.

I've not heard of anyone else using Valvoline in the Guzzi. Could it be the oil? For the sake of trying, is it worth dropping the oil and using the Motul 7100 stuff. That's what Teasdales use and recommend... It's all I have had in mine...

having slept on this ...
we had a 1200 sport in red , with std fussy punter ...using the correct agip oil , 4-500 miles later burning oil and smoking . his problem was a scallop out of the barrel halfway down , again good leak and compression tests . found with stripping , by luck as we were scratching our heads , we tapped a piston ring down the bore bit by bit , eventually a gap showed between ring and barrel .... indent about as big as your small fingernail .

warranty claim , hmm you don't decide that , Guzzi do , if your dealer puts in lots of spurious claims your bike will get tagged , get your dealer to have a look inside both bores , see if 1 is "wet" , do leaks and comps test . have you kept a weekly log of usage ? have you told the dealer too ? you need him on your side . remember your dealer gets paid half his normal hourly rate for warranty.

Back
Top Bottom