Turbine like sound coming from steering column

On sunday I tried to audio record and video record the issue - unfortunately, it seems the mic just picked up wind noise and not the noise I am hearing. Didn't fancy trying to hold the phone in my left hand whilst riding and I don't have anyway to clamp it within the area I want.

Will wait until Thursday for the tyres to be changed and will report back.

I've talked to people who installed it already and they say it makes no difference worth of spending money on it.

I just bought one from Motorworks (Wunderlich so very expensive for what it is...£75 ouch) I feel there is a bit of difference but once I put a handlebar bag on I think it would be more useless.

£75 is to much though so think before purchasing

Took the bike, very gingerly, to Micheldever station tyres (ProTyre) this morning and had the tyres changed to:
CONTINENTAL Conti Trail Attack 3 170/60R17 72W 1706017ZCOTATK3 1 £124.32 £24.86 £149.18
CONTINENTAL Conti Trail Attack 3 120/70R19 60W 1207019ZCOTATK3 1 £105.43 £21.09 £126.52

plus costs to fit. Whilst 'torquing' a hollow bolt that the fork sliders came with, they snapped it - to their credit they did say they would pay for another bolt if I can get hold of it.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE in noise generated. I can still hear it, because I am listening for that specific sound but it is very faint. Had the bike come with those tyres orginally I would never have noticed it.
The person changing the tyres mentioned that the Bridgestones were much harder than the Conti's - but I am very happy to have gotten rid of that loud turbine like droning sound!

One happy camper!

Took the bike, very gingerly, to Micheldever station tyres (ProTyre) this morning and had the tyres changed to:
CONTINENTAL Conti Trail Attack 3 170/60R17 72W 1706017ZCOTATK3 1 £124.32 £24.86 £149.18
CONTINENTAL Conti Trail Attack 3 120/70R19 60W 1207019ZCOTATK3 1 £105.43 £21.09 £126.52

plus costs to fit. Whilst 'torquing' a hollow bolt that the fork sliders came with, they snapped it - to their credit they did say they would pay for another bolt if I can get hold of it.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE in noise generated. I can still hear it, because I am listening for that specific sound but it is very faint. Had the bike come with those tyres orginally I would never have noticed it.
The person changing the tyres mentioned that the Bridgestones were much harder than the Conti's - but I am very happy to have gotten rid of that loud turbine like droning sound!

One happy camper!

Next time get the V rated, they have more tread depth, same compound.
They are good for an extra 1000+ miles.
V rated is the specified tyre for the GS.

I changed the Bridgestone's on my 1250 shortly after buying it (@3,000 miles) due to the noise - they were showing hardly any wear and probably good for another 5,000 miles or so.

Now using Metzeler Roadtech 01 and very happy.

Next time get the V rated, they have more tread depth, same compound.
They are good for an extra 1000+ miles.
V rated is the specified tyre for the GS.

Thanks for that, I ordered the W ones before I saw your previous post on this and it was too late to change. I will do this next time.

I think the problem is most definitely that you need better earplugs
I have custom made earplugs from ultimateear - they could probably do with updating but I think they are good enough.

I changed the Bridgestone's on my 1250 shortly after buying it (@3,000 miles) due to the noise - they were showing hardly any wear and probably good for another 5,000 miles or so.

Now using Metzeler Roadtech 01 and very happy.

The guy changing my tyre said that I had alot of wear left on them - but really, it was a horrid noise and the change has been absolutely worth it.

I emailed Conti Tyres about tread depth differences between CT3 V & W tyres.

Reply below.

Evening Robert

I guess you have a 1200GS which would have had V rated tyres from new, however you can fit the W as an alternative if you can’t get the V.
The V has deeper tread grooves, 9.3mm in the centre, 8mm at half lean and 7.5 at the edge.
The W has less depth at 7.1/6.8 & 5.9.

Kind regards,

David

Conti Tyres UK (Two Wheel)

My 2nd GS came with Anakees, I got a similar noise too so swapped both for the Metz Tourance Next (which my 1st GS came with) & have stuck with them as my only choice for the last 10 years!

Dont ignore the CRA 3s, while the tread might not be as deep, they are a more dedicated road tyre. So unless greenlaning is on the agenda the Trail version is nnot needed. Extra tread depth? Your tyres will be out of shape before you benefit from it.
Ran CRA on 1290gt, r1200gs and now the r1250gs.

Attachments

• 7E1F7058-2E3C-44CF-BBE0-0E327C017034.jpeg
    7E1F7058-2E3C-44CF-BBE0-0E327C017034.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 74
Dont ignore the CRA 3s, while the tread might not be as deep, they are a more dedicated road tyre. So unless greenlaning is on the agenda the Trail version is nnot needed. Extra tread depth? Your tyres will be out of shape before you benefit from it.
Ran CRA on 1290gt, r1200gs and now the r1250gs.
This towards the end of my Spain trip last year. It had already been abused in Germany earlier in the year..

The Road Attack 3 are indeed a fantastic tyre, they were the best I’d ever had until I tried the Trail Attack 3s(there’s nothing much trail about them in truth)

The Trail Attack is just slightly quicker steering than the Road attack, as for grip, both are about the same and both far exceed my talent :D

Shakey Byrne in this video was all too aware of the infamous road roar and was probably the reason why the GS wasn`t his winner on the day;

Shakey Byrne in this video was all too aware of the infamous road roar and was probably the reason why the GS wasn`t his winner on the day;

I posted my findings as a comment on that vid - probably lost in the thousands of other comments though! Guess what, it had those shitty Bridgestones on it too!!!

My Oct `21 GSA has those Bridgestones and the accompanying noise - or at least it did........
During the first few thousand miles on the bike the noise from the front end was readily apparent (it didn`t really bother me that much to be honest) even though i use ear plugs, but since my bike has had the shaft drive replaced in the update campaign (unless i am imagining it) it has virtually dissapeared, or at least it seems to have, and also gone to a noticeable degree is the grumble/rumble/vibration/rythmic resonanance felt through the pegs/seat/chassis on broken and rough road surfaces. It just seems smoother all-round.

Back
Top Bottom