Border crossing Albania / Croatia - What’s it like

Thanks guys - lots to check! I have a annual Staysure global policy (as I travel so much) - I believe it does cover me, but I will double-check... I've got the BMW extended warranty on the bike.

I've crossed Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Greece both ways several times in the past couple of years, and in and out of Bosnia.
No problems or hassle. Bought vehicle insurance at the border -all entered onto the respective countries government databases. May only apply to motorhomes but I'm told NFU insurance policies can cover Albania and Montenegro

Slight (15 minutes) delay in October '22 crossing from Bosnia into Montenegro as only one customs post open.
Guess who's main engine battery on their motorhome decided to give up the ghost at the customs booth :blast , after the border guards opened up another booth and diverted a queue of miffed drivers, one of the guards bought his car alongside and gave me a jump start.
I've never experienced any problems at any of the crossings, often asked for the V5 as Albania check you in and out of the country referencing the V5 details, I assume to prove you're not importing or exporting vehicles.
Never been asked for copy of my vehicle or personal insurance, even my dogs passed through all the borders without raising any concerns and was only asked for their pet passports once upon returning into Croatia.
My passport got stamped most of the time. Only asked for proof of covid vaccs when entering back into the EU in Greece.
Really enjoyed both Montenegro and Albania and they are both cheap countries to visit.

I've crossed Croatia, Montenegro, Albania and Greece both ways several times in the past couple of years, and in and out of Bosnia.
No problems or hassle. Bought vehilce insurance at the border -all entered onto the respective countries government databases.
Slight (15 minutes) delay in October '22 crossing from Bosnia into Montenegro as only one customs post open.
Guess who's main engine battery on their motorhome decided to give up the ghost at the customs booth :blast , after the border guards opened up another booth and diverted a queue of miffed drivers, one of the guards bought his car alongside and gave me a jump start.
I've never experienced any problems at any of the crossings, often asked for the V5 as Albania check you in and out of the country referencing the V5 details, I assume to prove you're not importing or exporting vehicles.
Never been asked for copy of my vehicle or personal insurance, even my dogs passed through all the borders without raising any concerns and was only asked for their pet passports once upon returning into Croatia.
My passport got stamped most of the time. Only asked for proof of covid vaccs when entering back into the EU in Greece.
Really enjoyed both Montenegro and Albania and they are both cheap countries to visit.

I have a Nationwide Flexplus account and just checked the Worldwide Travel Insurance that comes with the account. (As well as European breakdown for ANY vehicle you are in, including motorbikes)

It covers you for anywhere in the world and covers you riding a motorbike (but read the terms as it has some get out clauses like must wear a helmet or)

It also covers your partner and any children

I'm a Flexaccount, not Flexplus. I'll have a look. Thanks Bigcats.

I just checked my Staysure policy and it only covers me on a motorcycle if it's under 125cc. I have a bit more work to do!

Its £13 a month which includes worldwide family insurance, Uk and European breakdown for vehicles you are in (including motorbike and motorhomes) and the best one that I have used 3 times is the mobile phone insurance.

Also comes out as the top bank account (for extras) in Moneysavingexperts rankings

The guy with the new £18k bike is of course a bit nervous about leaving his bike unattended if it's not covered for theft...

then tell him not to take it.

when i go away , in the back of my head , there is a little voice , that says......are you prepared to leave the bike, in a ditch , and walk out ?

if you aren't ....take a different bike.

I did the borders south bound in 2019 - Croatia/Montenegro/Bosnia/Albania. All pretty straightforward as I recall and any necessary insurance was available at the border…

Motor insurance…. As well as asking your current broker Phone around the usual brokers regardless of your policy renewal asking about a new policy that will include the countries you want at the same level of cover you have in the uk. Consider the cost of the fuller cover you may get against the cost of cancelling your existing policy and the peace of mind of knowing you are fully covered. I did this with Bikesure and Bennetts a year or three back. Bikesure were very flexible (I think it was only Serbia they wouldn’t cover) Bennett’s less so: EU only basically. I was all set to cancel my Bennett’s policy in favour of bikesure when fecking Covid got in the way. I might be doing the same shortly.

MartinK. We must meet up soon - compare notes on V85s and travel plans. I have a trip bubbling away in my mind - very similar to yours by the sounds of things. It’ll be just the two is though and one bike so planning and logistics loads easier - open return basically and a loose arrangement to meet a pal who lives on Skiathos in Greece in June. Return may be an island hop to Turkey then Bulgaria etc.

Personal insurance…read policies very carefully. Ask the broker if not clear. Inclusion/Exceptions for bikes can be very confusing, eg might say 125 but can also say including any bike you are licensed to ride in uk. Watch out for other exclusions though, like no not covered if off road, drink, pillion, helmet less and more.

Thanks Austin, More great info... :okay The Renewal on my GS is not till Autumn (just done the Guzzi). I'm hoping Devitts play ball :)

I have some work to do!

I'll be popping down your way in the next few weeks, hopefully early Feb if we get a dry-ish day! I'll let you know dates nearer the time. Be good to meet up :)

Thanks Austin, More great info... :okay The Renewal on my GS is not till Autumn (just done the Guzzi). I'm hoping Devitts play ball :)

I have some work to do!

I'll be popping down your way in the next few weeks, hopefully early Feb if we get a dry-ish day! I'll let you know dates nearer the time. Be good to meet up :)

My insurance is through Swinton, after checking up it turns out that their European cover is only third party. The policy only has 7 weeks left. I am going on a trip on May 2nd so this is what I have just done.

I have taken out a policy with BikeSure which starts on the 1st of May and is fully comp in EU countries. I will also be in Bosnia, Montenegro, Albania and Turkey which the standard policy doesnt cover, I managed to get green card cover for each of the countries for an extra £48, not sure if this is a rip off or not but I am happy enough as it keeps things simple.

Chris.....:)

Chris - £48 sounds like a bargain! The only question is whether the Green Card also has "fully comprehensive" or is it a lower grade policy?

After all the messing - it was like herding cats, trying to line-up the 4 of us on this trip, we have decided not to go into the Balkans this time :(

We've decided instead:
Ferry Bari - Igoumenitsa
Thessaloniki area to see the Aegean Sea
Then NE into Bulgaria, to the Buzludhza Monument and the Shipka Pass
NE again to dip a toe in the Black Sea, missing "Sunny Beach" (we're a bit too old for that!!!) but maybe a beach bar or two :)
Then towards the Carpathian Mountains to see Bran Castle and the pretty Transylvania mountains and towns (and great "biking roads" but sadly we'll probably miss the Transalpina and Transfargarasan as they may still be closed with snow) like Sibiu, Brasov, Timisoara etc (I've been here before but in a car, and in a camper van, and my GF is originally Romanian, altho she's not coming of course...this is a "boys trip")
Then West to Lake Balaton to see the Biggest Lake
Over the Alps to Austria using the Zellerrain Pass
Back towards the Ferry using interesting roads and "best biking" roads we've found through Germany (Black Forest etc)

Myself and my 3 team-mates faffed with our respective insurance companies, breakdown insurance providers and personal holiday insurance companies, sadly following discussions over beers, the Balkans proved a step too far, so we amended the plan to the one above... Ferries booked :)

I've spent a significant time on Basecamp (actually getting pretty good at it!!!) knocking some routes up which we can share (we all have NAV6, as we are 2 x R1200GS, 1 x R1250GS, and 1 x R1200RS) based on some of the excellent resources on UKGSer and other "best biking" route resources...

Without wishing to be a purveyor of doom, as an example I turned up at the Turkish border with all my docs in order clearly stating that Turkey was included,

I got a computer says no and was made to purchase insurance at the border or turn back.

I'm sure I could have battled it out, but I've learned that I wont beat the man with the stamp so just sucked it up.

Not expensive but a bit annoying.

Croatia should be simple, to be honest that border was easily circumnavigable by popping 500m down the road anyway, so largely pointless in its latter years.

Do what you can prior to departure, Id say also remain flexible and open to change.

Bon Voyage :okay

Just BTW - there was a 30% early booking discount booking direct with ANEK Superfast if you book direct (motorcycles only IIRC) https://www.anek.gr/en/

It was much cheaper direct than using a broker...

Croatia should be simple, to be honest that border was easily circumnavigable by popping 500m down the road anyway, so largely pointless in its latter years.

Bon Voyage :okay

Agreed buddy - no issues with Croatia - my policy covered it anyway (without extra negotiation or Green Card) because they're in EU now... They even have the Euro as currency, the Drachma is no more ;)

It seems to be the word "Albania" that gets the insurance companies in a fuddle

Chris - £48 sounds like a bargain! The only question is whether the Green Card also has "fully comprehensive" or is it a lower grade policy?

Good Morning Martin,

So the green card countries are only 3rd party cover, not ideal but if thats whats on offer I would rather have it sorted with my own insurance before I go.

I will have an alarmed disk lock front and back and try and apply common sense to my riding and parking, ultimately what will be will be.

Sounds like you have a great trip sorted out though....have a great time.....:thumb2

Good luck, Chris. As you say, 3rd party better than nothing, and I believe about all that's available! Have a great trip :okay

After all the messing - it was like herding cats, trying to line-up the 4 of us on this trip, we have decided not to go into the Balkans this time :(

We've decided instead:
Ferry Bari - Igoumenitsa
Thessaloniki area to see the Aegean Sea
Then NE into Bulgaria, to the Buzludhza Monument and the Shipka Pass
NE again to dip a toe in the Black Sea, missing "Sunny Beach" (we're a bit too old for that!!!) but maybe a beach bar or two :)
Then towards the Carpathian Mountains to see Bran Castle and the pretty Transylvania mountains and towns (and great "biking roads" but sadly we'll probably miss the Transalpina and Transfargarasan as they may still be closed with snow) like Sibiu, Brasov, Timisoara etc (I've been here before but in a car, and in a camper van, and my GF is originally Romanian, altho she's not coming of course...this is a "boys trip")
Then West to Lake Balaton to see the Biggest Lake
Over the Alps to Austria using the Zellerrain Pass
Back towards the Ferry using interesting roads and "best biking" roads we've found through Germany (Black Forest etc)

Myself and my 3 team-mates faffed with our respective insurance companies, breakdown insurance providers and personal holiday insurance companies, sadly following discussions over beers, the Balkans proved a step too far, so we amended the plan to the one above... Ferries booked :)

I've spent a significant time on Basecamp (actually getting pretty good at it!!!) knocking some routes up which we can share (we all have NAV6, as we are 2 x R1200GS, 1 x R1250GS, and 1 x R1200RS) based on some of the excellent resources on UKGSer and other "best biking" route resources...

Remember and take your master V5C as Bulgaria border guards don't like copies. DAMHIK

Back
Top Bottom