Tyre pumping oprions

Hustler

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dear learned UKGSer people,
I’m after (again) another pump / compressor for use in the garage simply to pump up motorbike tyres.
I’ve had a few Halfords foot pumps in the past and another by someone else who’s name escapes me.
Tried a hand held air compressor from Draper, model not known, that came free with a magazine subscription.

The Draper lasted less than five minutes and the others lasted a while but not that long.

Any long term options / ideas appreciated.

I could go for the Airman or the Desert Fox that both got recommendations on this site recently.
I’m unsure if these would take weekly / fortnightly use for several bikes.
I know they need to “rest” every five minutes or so and they can double up to take with me when I’m on my way to Waitrose.
We’re quite posh here and ride right past Tesco’s to get to Waitrose.
I digress.

I’m unsure also how noisy they are and would prefer something quiet(ish).

I could go for a vintage type foot pump although they seem to command good prices nowadays and I’m not the best at mechanical problems
so repairing them may be a stretch for me if they break.
They do look good though.

A Stirrup pump is not an option for me because of an injury.

I could go for a more expensive mains connected compressor but no idea really what would be a good make and model to get.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thank you.

….

I suggest you have 2 pumps. One for the garage that meets your specs for being robust & relatively quiet, probably mains and bulky to insulate the noise. Then get a dinky pump for travel.
I doubt a single device meets your expansive lists of desirable features.

I have a decent quality foot pump, which I use in the garage at home, along with a Makita battery powered pump. The battery on the Makita seem to last forever between charges. The most useful thing though is a good quality pressure gauge from Blue Point. Though I also have a basic ‘pencil’ one too, which is probably good enough for most things.

For going away on the bike, I have a Slime pump.

In other words, I do as Wessie suggests, rather than finding one pump that does everything.

i think most people on here have tried different pumps.
for something so simple not many work as they should.

I've binned plenty, and even been stuck because of one.
i got a puncture and relied on a little yellow AA pump that id never even tested.... it was useless!!
after 3 seconds of pumping it started screaming like a banshee and no air flow!

for the cars and the bike when at home, i have a rechargeable pump i got from halfords (own brand) probably 10 years ago that still works great

The pump i use as part of my emergency carry kit on the bike i have a Rocky Creek MotoPressor Pocket Pump with the additional Motopressor Tyre Pressure Gauge.
i highly recommend it, small and very powerful.

first thing i did with the Rocky Creek pump, was let my back tyre down in the garage and see how it performed, so i didn't have the issue i had with the cheap crap from the AA
whatever pump you buy i suggest you do the same :)

I suggest you have 2 pumps. One for the garage that meets your specs for being robust & relatively quiet, probably mains and bulky to insulate the noise. Then get a dinky pump for travel.
I doubt a single device meets your expansive lists of desirable features.

Decision now made and following the wessie advice.

Thank you wessie, leadfarmer, Wapping and Barnoe.

Yep, I do like wessie, my travel pump is an airman, which I run off a CTek fly lead that’s permanently connected to the battery, your canbus sockets can’t run a pump

I don't have canbus on my bikes. Not absolutely sure what it does if I'm honest.

I don't have canbus on my bikes. Not absolutely sure what it does if I'm honest.

It's witchcraft. IIRC the current rating for the aux socket is 5amps, if the ecu detects that the current being drawn through the socket is more than that it thinks there's a fault so cuts the power off to the socket. So connecting the airman direct to the battery via a fused lead bypasses the canbus. If your powering something likeva pump it's a good idea to leavd the engine running so you don't flatten the battery, giving you another problem!

Proper compressor at home, with a large tank and 60’ of hose
Airman or Desert Fox out and about on the bikes

Proper compressor at home, with a large tank and 60’ of hose

As above. A cheap one though, not garage quality. Had it for around 5 years, does all I need and only a small footprint. Less than £100 at the time, including a number of tools. I did replace the tyre pump with a calibrated one - the one it came with was inaccurate.

https://www.ukhs.tv/Wolf-Sioux-25-9.6CFM-2.5HP-Portable-Air-Compressor-24L - mine's the earlier version.

Also have an Airman and slime pump too, but only carry one when away for a while. Day to day I carry a puncture repair kit and 6 CO2 capsules - needed once.

Also have one of these, which has been very good as an all-round solution.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00TG7Q9VM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Having used foot pumps for years, I got an Aldi cordless tyre inflator last summer… it was on a half price deal….. but having used it quite a few times I’d happily pay full price if it ever needed replacing….

The gauge is accurate, and the battery lasts well. it’s not clear in the blurb if they come with a charger, but they do :thumb2

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...783560995201&usg=AOvVaw0XkV1a8uWrE-z0ihwBhKHG

Back
Top Bottom