Marrakesh red r1150gs

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking at the bmw oem parts finder and it shows that the r1150gs was available in Marrakesh red, was looking for inspiration for a new colour for my recently acquired bike (boring silver) and was almost 100% decided on Mandarin but now thinking that a nice red might be different ( possibly the same red as my last 2018 gsa)

Only other option is a modern gloss non metallic grey, anybody got any suggestions or examples of non standard subtle paintjobs

Attachments

• bmw-r-bmw-r-1150-gs-rouge_158726799.jpg
    bmw-r-bmw-r-1150-gs-rouge_158726799.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 927
Marrakesh red was only an option for the 1150 year n the USA and not Europe
It was actually Marrakesh 2, shared with the R1100S
USA got the 1150 in white too

I had one new, in 2002 and dealer sorted it, as per the USA colour bikes before delivery:thumby:

Attachments

• 2002 R1150 GS - with goodies fitted1.jpg
    2002 R1150 GS - with goodies fitted1.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 913
  • Jo @ Col de Chioula French Pyrenees France 2003.JPG
    Jo @ Col de Chioula French Pyrenees France 2003.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 905
  • 2002 R1150 GS - with goodies fitted3.jpg
    2002 R1150 GS - with goodies fitted3.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 901
  • Rainbow RED 1150GS.jpg
    Rainbow RED 1150GS.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 888
  • Jaufenpass - Austrian Tyrol-Italian Dolomites  June 20021.jpg
    Jaufenpass - Austrian Tyrol-Italian Dolomites June 20021.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 868
Sold them at the time a couldn't remember the red so shame the UK bikes didn't have it... Personally I would pick it every time over mandarin which Didn't age well to me...

My bike is a blue/white model which I like... but I really like that red.
It looks very 'exotic' considering we are very familiar with the regular colours we have known for 25+ years... It really suits the bike.

Going to get some prices next week to get the paintwork done ( might even do it myself) , the new silver graphics are ordered and I am dropping off the seats at Saddlecraft in South Shields to get them recovered and a gel pad fitted in the front one

Looking at the bmw oem parts finder and it shows that the r1150gs was available in Marrakesh red, was looking for inspiration for a new colour for my recently acquired bike (boring silver) and was almost 100% decided on Mandarin but now thinking that a nice red might be different ( possibly the same red as my last 2018 gsa)

Only other option is a modern gloss non metallic grey, anybody got any suggestions or examples of non standard subtle paintjobs

That looks very similar to (ex Micky Wheeler) R 1100S I had.
Great bike!

That red does indeed look good.

My favourite non original schemes, though, have been the various takes on a white base with subtle stripes / panels in the BMW motorsport colours.

There was a great example maybe three years ago, I think the bike was in NZ.

Well dropped the seats off today, the rear is being recovered and the front is getting a matching cover, gel pad and an extra 1/2 inch of better quality foam.

Going to drain the tank tomorrow and remove it, the rear mudguard and beak and see about getting it painted, decided it will be BMW Racing Red the same colour as the 2018 r1200gsa.

Just need to sort out a relay switched secondary fusebox ( mounted where the abs would be ) so I can sort out the sat nav power and aftermarket heated grips

Tank removed and drained ready for paint, one thing though this is a bike with a BMW service history up until it was 8 or 9 years old so unless BMW had a lot of old fuel filters lying around it looks like it has never been changed

Bikes build date was May 1999, wonder if the previous owner was charged for ia new filter and the labour of changing it

Attachments

• 20230127_154412.jpg
    20230127_154412.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 602
Decided to fit a BMW sat nav cradle and will be adding spot lights and aftermarket heated grips so using the space left under the tank where ABS pump is fitted on other models I have roughed out a 3mm alloy plare to mount a secondary fuse box which will be fed by a switched relay so it is live with ignition.

Once finished I will paint the plate satin black

Attachments

• 20230202_145214.jpg
    20230202_145214.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 553
  • 20230202_145156.jpg
    20230202_145156.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 563
Looks good, but will be a pain to change a fuse.

They are just going to be fuses for accessories and it is only a couple of minutes to pull off the plastic tank side panel and remove the 8mm bolt to lift the rear of the tank so I am not that worried, in the same place on my old 1150 I had a second tool box made out of ally sheet to hold a spare bulb kit etc etc

Well the bodywork is stripped off the bike and away for paint (after eventually finding somewhere local that will do bike stuff and not try and stiff you for over £1000 for one colour).

What a pleasure to take apart, not one stripped or siezed fixing and about 10 minutes to remove the beak (try that on a r1200 gsa lc) and less for the rear mudguard.

As for the colour I made an executive decision to go for BMW Racing Red Solid.... same colour as my r2017 gsa was.

Should be ready the back end of next week

Good on ya,I'm looking forward to following your progress

Main other thing I have had to do is go from the front of the loom from the clocks all the way back to the rear light and remove all of the crumbling wiring loom outer tape as it was falling off in lumps leaving the inner wires exposed.

The whole loom is now bound in self amalgamating wiring tape , never seen a Japanese looms binding drop to bits like this one

Main other thing I have had to do is go from the front of the loom from the clocks all the way back to the rear light and remove all of the crumbling wiring loom outer tape as it was falling off in lumps leaving the inner wires exposed.

The whole loom is now bound in self amalgamating wiring tape , never seen a Japanese looms binding drop to bits like this one

Mine is doing the same, crumbling and exposing wires. I wondered if it was because at some point, a previous owner had used some kind of protective spray on it, which turned out to be not so protective. You’ve now confirmed it may be a common thing.

Mine is starting to do that too. Bike is 21 with 80 ish thousand miles

Back
Top Bottom