Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New respect for content creators

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I find a lot of the you tube very watchable, and subscribe to a large number channels, but having tried it anyone who does has my respect, I couldn't.
    ''Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men''

Quote Originally Posted by bowser View Post
    I find a lot of the you tube very watchable, and subscribe to a large number channels, but having tried it anyone who does has my respect, I couldn't.
    Harder than it looks and very time consuming, although very rewarding if people subscribe and watch your stuff.

Ive only 4 videos online at the moment with another 3 uploaded and scheduled over the next week or so.
    I will advertise on the forum when a few more vids are online

Quote Originally Posted by steve hughes View Post
    … I have to say Fortnines recent video on tyre sealant is a work of art, a complete review with no dialogue https://youtu.be/nT1_QGtn0VA

Steve
    Very slick presentations - but how come his reviews rarely seem to match my, or my friends, real life experiences? I am also ‘impressed’ by the inordinate number of commentators who wish prostrate, genuflect or have his babies … is it some sort of bonding or transferred approbation they seek?

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by steve hughes View Post

I have to say Fortnines recent video on tyre sealant is a work of art, a complete review with no dialogue.

https://youtu.be/nT1_QGtn0VA

Steve
    Work of art, it may be, but it's utter bollocks as a meaningful test.
    Ready To >> Rest

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Work of art, it may be, but it's utter bollocks as a meaningful test.
    What would make it more of a meaningful test ? not having a go just interested as there is enough info in there to make a purchasing decision

Agree it is a work of art

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by EKIMYRF View Post
    What would make it more of a meaningful test ? not having a go just interested as there is enough info in there to make a purchasing decision

Agree it is a work of art
    The "testing" of the wheel balance was hopeless. You can't test a liquid balancer with a static balance, you need a dynamic balancer such as you might find doing car wheels at a tyre fitters. Equally, you can't balance a liquid filled tyre on a static balancer.

The puncture test also looked a bit random.
    Ready To >> Rest

I had a decent consumer video camera a few years ago, bought it to record rugby matches for analysis. Bernie's niece was getting married and didn't have a videographer so we offered by way of gift to record the event.

Recorded the whole thing right from bride leaving the house, the whole shebang through to the dancing.

And then went to put it together adding soundtracks, stills and burning to DVD etc. As a novice the amount of hours that went into it, such a steep learning curve..... must have been 30-40 hours of graft. They separated after three years.

Was on the verge of gettin all the gear to set up a channel but changed my mind in the end. Mainly because I think it would ruin my rides and my mentality of my rides. Chasing that perfect angle, place etc rather than just enjoying myself

Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    The "testing" of the wheel balance was hopeless. You can't test a liquid balancer with a static balance, you need a dynamic balancer such as you might find doing car wheels at a tyre fitters. Equally, you can't balance a liquid filled tyre on a static balancer.

The puncture test also looked a bit random.
    I know nothing about the stuff but get your point (pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by EKIMYRF View Post
    I of course was being flippant

As some of you may have seen I run a fairly modest channel where we review classic bikes (and some modern classics)

It started because I have been doing onboard videos for years (going back to 2005 when I strapped a big old video camera to my GS and filmed the adelaide hills)

Fast forwad to 2021 I am back living in the UK and back in touch with my mates from the 1970s and we have access to a load of very tasty classic bikes and a pretty good level of knowledge

So the process is :

Find negotiate and procure bikes to film
    Arrange date for filming (hardest part when everyone is free bike is availible and weather plays ball)
    Decide suitable location
    Get whoever you are interviewing prepared and scripted
    Whole day of filming Onboard with Go pro, Beauty and interviews mirrorless
    Ensure clean Audio (this is much much harder than the video bit)

Post production
    Go through everything you have filmed and recorded and choose optimum clips
    Create the Story before you jump into editing (this is also vital ) ie Storyboard
    Colour grade all clips to ensure they have a similar colour profile (DaVinci resolve or Adobe Premier)
    Clean Audio using Audacity
    Find any advertising pics etc
    put all that together into a timeline Premier
    Choose Audio (I use epidemic sound)

Create first cut

Send out to the team for review - this is an iterive process - I tell the guys to be brutal and can go through 5 or so versions
    when you have the finished video send to the owner of the bike or shop owner for approval

Publish

Get slagged off coz it is shite in the comments section :-)
    I think that you should start the whole procedure with the storyboard.
    Anyone riding slower than you is an idiot, and anyone riding faster than you is a maniac

Quote Originally Posted by landmarkjohn View Post
    .... must have been 30-40 hours of graft. They separated after three years.
    Sorry, I know that's not funny but I just laughed out loud...
    The Other PaulG

...you should never underestimate what a wonderful thing you have all done here - Chad, Dec 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Smug View Post
    I think that you should start the whole procedure with the storyboard.
    I did with the first few but we have done 25 ish so far and TBH I have the format in my head and just make tweaks that are discussed prior to filming day

Quote Originally Posted by The Other PaulG View Post
    Sorry, I know that's not funny but I just laughed out loud...
    A woman I worked with some years ago married, had an adorable baby boy and within three years divorced. Nothing new there you may say!

Part of the money side of the divorce was how they split paying back the loan they took out to pay for the fancy wedding.

Modern times ...eh?

tom

Quote Originally Posted by landmarkjohn View Post
    And then went to put it together adding soundtracks, stills and burning to DVD etc. As a novice the amount of hours that went into it, such a steep learning curve..... must have been 30-40 hours of graft. They separated after three years.
    It is tough, when i first decided to edit my movies i gave up.

For a few reasons, firstly I realised i did not shoot the parts that link up the story.
    And as a novice I had no idea how I could make it work.

For instance, I would pull into a carpark for a break or coffee, but as soon as I did, I turned the camera off.
    Then as I pulled out to carry on my journey I started filming again.
    It never occurred to me how strange this would look when being played back, until I was back at home with no chance of correcting it.

I decided not to try and piece together the videos to try and make it work.
    It’s a learning curve, and then there is the editing itself which is another story

I did create the videos in the end by voicing over to explain what was going on and to fill in the gaps
    It has worked to a degree, but its not ideal.

but to do all that for a wedding then they split up anyway, must feel like a smack in the face lol

Story is king - I have another channel that is just random rides but I use that as another area for testing etc.... that has a few subs but I dont promote it

As with any of this stuff if you dont have a story it tends to be a bit uninteresting, I have also discovered that people like interaction, we added to our videos a round table chat where we talk about the bikes and rip the piss out of each other, some of the other lads were doubtful that ayone would be interested, turns out since then our views have increased .... but it has to be natural, there is a lot of stuff out there where people put on a "I am on youtube persona" makes me instantly click off

Quote Originally Posted by Barnoe View Post
    but to do all that for a wedding then they split up anyway, must feel like a smack in the face lol
    Ah not really, we (it was a joint effort with Bernie and I selecting soundtracks etc) were quite proud of the result and something we did “together” :-)

But the skills and terminology learned easily carry from one editing software to another and I think it gets easier with software advances. That said I have never edited anything remotely as laborious as that wedding. And the stress… extra batteries bought and tapes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12