Ultimate Hearing Protection Molded earplugs/speakers

Bigcats

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a Shoei Neotec 2 helmet but do not like some of the reviews for the Sena SRL2 system that you can plug and play (I had a Sena 20 and it was crap, could never hear anything once you're on a motorway and the sound was just so bad)

Seeing as I never ride in groups (who have headsets) I thought I would look into molded earplus that have headphones built in

Seen these guys at shows and the reviews look very good but I always like to hear from real folk.

Yes expensive and can only be used for music and calls (thats all I need for long journeys).

Anyone got any experience?? I am looking at getting the pro version ( I can get a 15% discount)

https://ultimateear.com/product-category/motorcycle-ear-plugs/

Cheers

I have two sets - one with in ear monitors (speakers) one without for clay pigeons.

They took a while to make them, but that aside I’ve been very pleased with them. Particularly helpful is the cables plug into the mouldings, so if you accidentally catch them it doesn’t break the cable.

5 stars, would recommend.

As with Nin, I am very pleased with mine.

I have:

A. A simple ‘blank’ pair. I use these day-to-day.

B. An older pair of in-ear monitors, that I can run in a converted Neotec II in order to use the helmet’s built in Bluetooth. I can control the volume through my 1600’s iWheel thing.

C. A pair of the Bluetooth in-ear monitors. These are OK except the volume of the monitors cannot be controlled through the iWheel thing on my 1600. This problem might have been fixed now, either by Ultimate Ear (using a different Bluetooth receiver) or by BMW, I don’t know. I am having a new TFT screen fitted to my 1600 and all of its software will be updated, so I will have to pair things up again. It’ll give me an excuse to see if the volume control via the iWheel now works.

I don’t listen to music or take phone calls whilst riding. I rarely use bike-to-bike. Item C’s charge easily lasts all day on this basis.

One tip. When charging the Bluetooth device, it is often best to charge it via a dedicated transformer. I tried to charge them through my otherwise excellent Anker multi-outlet charger, which failed. The reason? Some Anker chargers have a very sensitive bit of circuitry that prevents an item being over-charged. Some Bluetooth devices are seen by the Anker circuitry as being in danger of being over-charged, so it shuts the supply down.

This is the Anker charger I am referring to: https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...rk-well…-Power-to-the-people…?highlight=Anker For everything else, it really is very good.

I have:

A. A simple ‘blank’ pair. I use these for shooting clays.

B. A pair of the Bluetooth in-ear monitors which connect to my Nav 6. I also don’t listen to music or take phone calls whilst riding.

Both are excellent.

I have the Motorcyclist Bluetooth SoundEar Pro. Superb sound quality. Possibly too good to use on a motorbike. I can adjust volume through the Ducati MS system.

I bought the ultimate ear plugs, both with speakers and without. All I can say is that the speakers I had just sounded very trebbly with little to no bass - which I guess was to be expected with the size of the speaker molded inside the plug.

At the NEC bike show this year, I saw these guys:
https://customfitguards.com/

and I will be getting some plugs fitted with the removable back speakers - it seems a much better solution than having the speaker molded inside the plug itself.

This is excellent news guys thank you for your experience.

I think I will be treating myself

I use a pair of in ear moulded units

clay pigeon or on bike - same pair

just turn the volume up when on the bike ;)

At the NEC bike show this year, I saw these guys:
https://customfitguards.com/

and I will be getting some plugs fitted with the removable back speakers - it seems a much better solution than having the speaker molded inside the plug itself.

Did you get these? I’m due to replace my current molded in-ears and can’t decide who to use.

I have Minerva Hearing Mi Bike at the minute. They’ve been excellent over the (too many) years I’ve had them, but they don’t seem to offer them any more.

I had the Ultimate Ear version in 2010 but didn’t really get on with them. Things have probably changed significantly since then.

One thing that bugs me is that the manufacturers all seem to charge extra for a shorter cable - less is more

The other brand I’m considering is snugs, but given they don’t seem to be U.K. based I may give them a miss.

Back
Top Bottom