Category 'B'

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It is with deep regret that my 2010 Ultra Classic has been written off after being knocked off it.
Bike has done around 75,000 miles which will unfortunately lower it's value considerably.

Insurance say I will be lucky to get £7K for it due to high mileage.
Time to remove my expensive accessories and fit OEM.

Whether the fractured bones in my foot and patella heal enough to enable me to support another heavy bike, time will tell.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Thats a bummer. Hope you recover soon pal.

Sorry to hear that, didn't that one start in Kuwait? Hopefully you will be able to get on another one before too long!

Sorry to hear that, speedy recovery.
On the insurance front, I would say £7000 write off value is reasonable, but you may be able to negotiate for more if you have documentation to show service history or alternative higher valuation or market prices prior to accident.
As a comparison, I was offered £8750 trade in for my blinged up 2012 minter owned from new with 5000 miles, which of course I declined.
Good luck with it all.

After the recent silence, glad to hear you are OK.

Take care with the healing - patella breaks always take quite some time.

I bought my salvage that was also B, for 10% of the insurance payout...I then sold the salvage for 50% of the insurance payout, so I came out of the deal very well financially, I would have rather not had the accident though.

Sorry to hear that, didn't that one start in Kuwait? Hopefully you will be able to get on another one before too long!
No, the HD dealer in Dammam. I still have the 1150GSA from Q8 home with me to which I need to fix a replacement hall sensor unit when my leg can bend a bit more. Air freighted both bikes back and got them registered.
Thanks for your hospitality in Riyadh and hope to meet up in Ireland next year.

Sorry to hear that, speedy recovery.
On the insurance front, I would say £7000 write off value is reasonable, but you may be able to negotiate for more if you have documentation to show service history or alternative higher valuation or market prices prior to accident.
As a comparison, I was offered £8750 trade in for my blinged up 2012 minter owned from new with 5000 miles, which of course I declined.
Good luck with it all.
I would go for £7K if possible. Take off a few accessories (Wheelock centrestand, Cobra Fi2000 fuel management thingy and the Pioneer sound system+wiring harness).

High mileage is a price killer.

I bought my salvage that was also B, for 10% of the insurance payout...I then sold the salvage for 50% of the insurance payout, so I came out of the deal very well financially, I would have rather not had the accident though.
Correct Att, whether my leg will heal enough to take the weight of another glide by next year, will just have to wait and see. Maybe a 103.
I have an RS airhead bought as a write off in the 80's. Spent loads of money getting engine/gearbox overhauled, parts and whatever. Still an unfinished project and I ain't getting any younger.
If time and space in garage was enough, bike bits could be sold on eBay or here.
Can't be many that would bother buying a write off.

Sent an email to HD for an valuation of my bike as a comparison.
That motorcycle warehouse have high valuation for Electra glides. I know the 2010 Ultra Classic was more expensive due to all the extras on-board from the standard.

I need to find more list prices on those for sale to argue my case for more compensation.

If you see any, let me know

Seems kinda low. Insurance here typically pays NADA retail book value and on that bike it's $10,880. Plus they add whatever tax there is in your State to the price.

Yes I realize this Rugged, I was just offering some sort of comparison because it seemed odd to me that with Harleys generally selling for a little more in the UK than here, that your insurance would offer so much less than here? Twizzle just went through this, maybe there is some room for negotiation? Anyway good luck and I hope you heal quickly and completely.

I got £5,000 for a 1996 EVO with 112,000 miles on clock… I was happy enough…

Having a quick look for 2010 ultra - most have about 20,000 to 30,000 miles and sit between £9k and £11k..

So adjusting for 75,000 I reckon £8.5k.. maybe a bit more

Besides Autotrader and MCN bike sales, anywhere else to look for prices?
Do Parkers have a site for motorcycles?

Emailed HD for a book price but, not getting back to me yet.

Besides Autotrader and MCN bike sales, anywhere else to look for prices?
Do Parkers have a site for motorcycles?

Emailed HD for a book price but, not getting back to me yet.

I’d be tracking eBay/autotrader as you are…

Swapped out the mufflers for the standard, removed Jagg oil cooler with thermostat adapter and installed standard air filter.
It may be difficult for me to remove tank to remove my Garmin cable and Cobra Fi2000 fuel power pro thingy.
(Bloody expensive)
Broken bones are giving me some hassle. Still, plenty changed / removed for now.

Well the end of an era for my 2010 Ultra Classic. It will be soon be off to the breakers. Compensation was only £7,999 minus £350 excess.
Will wait a year and see how the left foot and kneecap heals up before considering another heavyweight.
Hopefully my injury lawyer will put my case forward and get a positive response on my claim.
It was a decent 65,000 mile journey through many lands.

Sad days, hope you are on the mend!!

I’m in the US at the moment on a Road Glide

I’d forgotten how heavy they are……

Back
Top Bottom