2012 GS LED spotlight suggestions or lighting suggestions

niccapotamus

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I could do with more light to see the shite on the roads at night and the stock headlight plus spots aren't really up to it

something easily fitted - anyone got any recommendations - not premium pricing either as I've seen the kits and they are scary money

and what about fitting/switching as I don't want to upset the electronic braincell

thanks very much!
Nick

I use the Chinese Led headlight unit , plenty of info on here.
and for main beam triggered spotlights I use a pair of Hella FF50 `s these are halogen but comparable lighting distance compared with the mega expensive options.
The main beam spots (ff50`s) are run from the battery via a relay, the relay is triggered via the main beam circuit.
the relay coil draws very little current so does not upset the can bus.

Here's the earlier one that most of us have fitted. £89.87 50%OFF | R1200GS LED Turn Signal And Hi Low Beam Motorcycle LED Headlight For BMW Adventure R 1200 GS R1200GS ADV R1200GS LC 2006-2012
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0O7nEI

Though I do like the look of the new one.

I have a set of these fitted too to compliment the headlight.
£17.22 41%OFF | Front Headlight Aux Lights Fog Lamp Assembly For BMW R1200GS LC/ADV F800GS F750GS F650GS R1150GS Motorcycle High Brightness
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNkjN8i
Nice and bright bolt on as the originals on the GSA use the supplied brackets for the GS I suppose.

I have a set of these fitted too to compliment the headlight.
£17.22 41%OFF | Front Headlight Aux Lights Fog Lamp Assembly For BMW R1200GS LC/ADV F800GS F750GS F650GS R1150GS Motorcycle High Brightness
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNkjN8i
Nice and bright bolt on as the originals on the GSA use the supplied brackets for the GS I suppose.
Look good and very affordable but the delivery time is something else.

Out of interest guys. The LED headlight also shows a DRL, so does just this come on with the ignition and then switch to the dip beam head light automatically, or is there a separate switch for it????

Out of interest guys. The LED headlight also shows a DRL, so does just this come on with the ignition and then switch to the dip beam head light automatically, or is there a separate switch for it????

The DRL is wired to the original sidelight. So comes the same as the sidelight. The low beam comes on when you start the bike the same as normal.

Delivery times quoted are worst case scenario I reckon, I ought some stuff just before Christmas with a delivery date of end of February, it all arrived in 3 weeks.

It varies. Some stuff comes in a week. Others take longer. I ordered some things for my car on 31st December, arrived yesterday. The headlights used to be available on eBay too if you want to pay more to get it a couple of weeks quicker.

You pays your money, and takes your chance. Best option is to put quality bulbs in the OEM headlight, and fit a set of good quality flood/spots on the scaffolding.

You pays your money, and takes your chance. Best option is to put quality bulbs in the OEM headlight, and fit a set of good quality flood/spots on the scaffolding.
More than 3yrs with my lef headlamp as described above. Not a single issue with it, Inn the heart, cold, wet, hail. Has proved to be a really good buy. Don't think i could ever go back to bulbs...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Just FYI, may be worth looking at the Skene dimmer
https://skenelights.com/skene-iq-275-intelligent-dimmer-for-led-lights.html

I have the Skene one on my Guzzi V85TT and it's simplicity itself.

Connect + and - to the battery, another wire to the full beam wire, and a wire to a switched live, and then connect your new lights to the Skene. No fuses, no relays, no additional switches.

You can have the new lights running as DRL (I run 30% brightness on my Guzzi during the day) and when you use full beam, you get 100% of the new lights too. Saves being a numpty and dazzling people all the time. You can configure the Skene like the EZCAN to alter daytime brightness in 10% variation but 20 or 30% brightness is plenty as DRL

I do the same on my GS with the EZCAN, 30% when in DRL mode and 100% on full beam.

I tried cheapy chinky aliexpress lights on my Guzzi, but after a long wet ride one filled with water then packed-in. It was "buy cheap buy twice" for me, I since purchased Denali S4 (got a fab price at the NEC show just over a year ago) for the Guzzi and they've been absolutely brilliant.

Just FYI, the Denali S4 works with the Skene, but apparently the D4 does not (needs 3-wire dimming that the EZCAN supplies)

thanks everyone - haveing a cuppa tea, going to read and follow linkies

it's important as It's no fun having a bit of a slippage on a lump of mud that I would have avoided like the plague in the daylight

thanks everyone - haveing a cuppa tea, going to read and follow linkies

it's important as It's no fun having a bit of a slippage on a lump of mud that I would have avoided like the plague in the daylight

If you were nearer to Northamptonshire you could have borrowed my led unit to see what you think. It really is good. My bike is away in the garage until march brrrrrrrr

I struggled for years with the standard, tried HID for a bit, Osram night breakers. In my opinion,for me, the design of the reflector is the issue. Get a good high beam and the dip is to high so wind it down and the main isn't very good. After reading above linked threads I ordered an LED unit and Hids for my auxiliary lights. Fitted the main light then spent ages mucking about with the auxiliaries. Eventually got them in and wired and ballasts hidden.

Waited for night and parked in my dark driveway, started it up and boom, instantly a while heap better. Turned on my auxiliaries and they made no difference as the led unit is so good. A good upgrade.

My HID finally gave up on my 2012 GS. I asked around about LED replacements and decided to go with one listed on ebay. Actually, they sell them in pairs, so I ended up with an extra, since I didn't want to replace my hi beam - just replaced my low beam. Works great.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/141785382293

Don't know how ebay works over in UK, though.

Back
Top Bottom