1250 GSA Trophy edition - Recalled today

hmmmm.....defo no recall, Im thinking the dealer has forgotten to do something on the PDI, so wanted it back to sort it . good for them doing so though.

Defo is a recall for some models

not showing on any sites ive looked on, must be for certain VIN numbered models. might ring the dealer today for clarification on mine

I had an information today, it's a recal for the protection of the drive shaft when it's in the air, means an update to reduse the overspeed when you make an off-road use..

Στάλθηκε από το M2004J19C μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Just checked for mine 21 R1250GS. And showing recall code 0000232600
and Enhancement code 0033130000 which I guess is the drain on the swing arm.

Incidentally nothing showing on the Gov.U.K. Site.

Just checked my 22 reg GS on the BMW link above
Shows the following:

Recall code 0000232600.
&
Enhancement code INFO202207

Will give dealer a call later, see if they can give any info

I have the recall code on mine. Its a 2020 GS. Where do I find the details of the recall ?

Me too

Brand : BMWBIKEModel : R 1250 GS
Recall code 0000232600.
Enhancement codes 0033130000, INFO772590.

Speak to a dealer and you will be told to bring the bike at the next scheduled service. The software will be changed. Apparently there’s nothing to panic about. If you take your bike off-road, there may be cause for concern.

Booked in for recall. Software update , summat to do with gearbox.

Hmmm I got code 0000232600 on my 2018 R1200GS (one of the runout models of the 1200 GS with TFT etc)...

Pinged my mates (not on UKGSER) and seems they have similar too, one on a 12-month old R1250GS.

I've had my shaft-drilling-recall done already (several months ago) so no idea what this one is...

something to do with needing a software update which could in "rare" cases result in anything from a gearbox fault message on the dash, to the gearbox sh*tting itself at speed

How did we get to a point where a bike's gearbox can be damaged by its own software... progress??

I loved the technology aspect of the GS range but as time goes on especially with stuff like this I'm loosing interest. I would also expect the 1300 family to be more tech laden than the current gen.

How did we get to a point where a bike's gearbox can be damaged by its own software... progress??

Buggered if I know mate, he really didn't like me pressing him on the subject. He initially said it's a recall to update the TFT, made it sound very tiny and insignificant, so I suggested it could wait until the first service, he said "Oh no we can't tax and register the bike with an outstanding recall, the DVLA won't let us". So I pressed a bit further about what the actual reason for the recall was, he said something about gearbox and engine speed/quick shifter etc. I don't know if he was trying to be vague on purpose or he didn't really know himself. But he eluded to it most likely manifesting as an error code on the screen but also suggested in rare cases that the software would get the wrong information about the speed of something, I can't remember whether he said engine, gearbox or a mixture but there was an inference that if the ECU got this mixed up it could potentially cause the gearbox and engine to disagree in a manner that would be "unsafe".

Whether i'm being fed a load of bullsh*t is another matter, and also plausible.

Hi Guys
I can confirm after speaking with my BMW dealership (Reiten) that it isn't anything to worry yourself about, as long as you are not going to take your bike off road as the problem seems to be if you start to do jumps and put the bike under extreme forces that there is a probable chance that the gearbox and driveshaft link could cause the back wheel to lock up. I was told it is a simple 10-15 minute firmware update that can sort the issue with no noticeable changes in handling or performance etc. and that it is just BMW being very caution and pro-active, as my bike is new this can wait until the first 600mile service is done.

Yep, Vines confirmed that my bike is subject to the software recall. They will also do the cardan shaft recall at the same time as the annual service booked. 3-in-1 to make it easy.
I think BMW do a good job of notifying owners and keeping our bikes updated with the latest/greatest, be it for performance or safety.

They are just being overly cautions, which is good!

A lot of the other Japanese brands would ignore it, as i never had any recalls on any of my other bikes before / or they keep it very quiet, well done BMW.

This is an interesting point "The Other PaulG", I am from a electronics/software background and I thought long and hard how a mechanical issue can be resolved using software, oh and by the way it is nearly always a mechanical issues that forms first before electronic ones, and only thing i could come up with is does it disengage the gearbox if it feels that the bike has launched itself as there are sensors that detects the bike lean angles place/point in time - basically a gyroscope, flying around on the Can Bus at 50 -100kbit/s. its all very clever stuff.

Back
Top Bottom