Heated grips

scooter paul

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well who knew? I’ve never seen these before. Heated elements that fit inside the handlebar tubes. From SWT in Germany.

Attachments

• 2F92C972-9124-45FF-B207-C88EE57CF640.jpeg
    2F92C972-9124-45FF-B207-C88EE57CF640.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 196
Can they be used with bar end weights (or bark busters hand guards that fit in end of the bars)
Also, how long are the leads?

And how much?

Maybe I should just stay with the Oxford grips

They have 8mm threaded ends and on the website it does say suitable for handguards or bar end weights. Leads 120cm long.They do come in different diameters to suit different sized bars.
I was intrigued as I’d never seen this type before. Saves having external leads and bulky grips I guess.

Well who knew? I’ve never seen these before. Heated elements that fit inside the handlebar tubes. From SWT in Germany.

I wonder how well they will work ? I have always found with the BMW grips on every one I have owned or ridden that the right hand grip is always hotter , assuming because the right grip has the plastic throttle tube which acts as an insulator from heat loss directly into the alloy bars

I wonder how well they will work ? I have always found with the BMW grips on every one I have owned or ridden that the right hand grip is always hotter , assuming because the right grip has the plastic throttle tube which acts as an insulator from heat loss directly into the alloy bars
I saw them originally on a fb group and someone said they work really well. Another advantage is they won’t get damaged in a spill as they’re inside the bars.

I think I have a set in my R100RS (I've never looked). But I don't have the standard grips and the previous owner said as much. But they work very well, 2 speeds. Prompted me to get a 600W alternator, though. Mine was struggling to charge with grips and the headlamp on. Except at >4000rpm!

Am I being thick but unless using clip on's how would you fit these to say a set of GS handlebars? ie get the wire from inside to outside?

Look interesting ... I have searched for 'em but no luck ... got a link by any chance :beerjug:

Lets think about this.

They work by conducting heat from INSIDE the steel bars, to the bars and then through the rubber grip to your hands. Sounds like a very slow process. The bars will will act as a huge heat sink.

So they must draw A LOT of current. They will also heat your entire handlebar up. So one must consider anything fitted to your bars that may be affected by heat.

The benefit of heated grips is that they're unsulated by plastic to the bar.

I'd be interested to see them in action and learn what the draw is.

The new generation of Oxford heated grips "UK specific marking on the box" get SUPER HOT. Way way hotter than the older style. On par or better than BMW genuine grips.

Thanks Paul - thought this would be a huge non no due to the weak point a hole in a tube would create. Was not aware that some GS's had handlebar holes.

AFAIK all BMW prior to 1995 (and probs after) had holes drilled in the handlebars to accept wires for heated grips. In between the mounts. So not much impact, if any, on strength.

The new generation of Oxford heated grips "UK specific marking on the box" get SUPER HOT. Way way hotter than the older style. On par or better than BMW genuine grips.

And they are now not as large a diameter as they used to be. I couldn't get on with the ones I fitted to Denise's Kawasaki years ago as they felt like I was holding a scaffold tube. The new "Adventure" styke Oxfords that I put on her new KTM over Christmas are really comfortable, and as others have stated, much warmer.
Mark

I have always found with the BMW grips on every one I have owned or ridden that the right hand grip is always hotter........

Thanks for this Neil
Mine are like this and i always assumed there was a fault.

Back
Top Bottom