Continental Trail Attack 3 mileage

Spookos

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’ve had one of these on the rear of my 16 plate GSA1200, it’s done 5000 miles and is now fairly squared off and will be knackered at 6000,tops. I’ve got nothing but praise for the handling/performance of the true but I’d hoped for a few more miles, just wondering what other people’s experiences of this brand are, particularly mileage. I’ve had 7000 miles out of a rear Tourance (original) before so that’s what I’m making comparisons with.

I am going to fit those tyressoon as the Michelin anakee on mine I consider way to noisy (so avoid them).

I put the wear down to the GS being a bloody heavy bike and has lots of torque going into that back tyre so kind of expect it to wear down quicker than most.

The CTA3s on my GSA are just past 5000 miles and the front is still like new and the rear is still above 5mm at its lowest point in the tread. The rear is just starting to show slight squaring. The mileage includes a Euro trip of around 2200 miles.
This is consistent with the set on my previous GSA, which I replaced at 7500 miles and that was due to the rear squaring off and giving a bit of tram-lining over some surfaces.

Just be careful of the rear. When the miles get higher on it and the central rubber thins it can delaminate if you’re running at high speeds….bit scary

Barry

That mileage is much the same as my CTA3's. Mines got 5200 on the rear with just over a mil or so left to the wear limit, by 6000 i'm expecting it to be well gone. The front looks as good as new so i'm just going to replace the back and hopefully get 2 rears to one front. I was hoping to get a little more but i'm still pleased with the CTA3's so i'll be sticking with them.
I think tyre life depends a lot on where and how you ride, I do a lot of twisty side roads around the moors/dales/pennines and while its not fast the tyres are working hard through the constant undulations/ tight turns / decelerations / accelerations.

My rear CTA 3 has over 6k miles now and still good. I got 9k out of my last front CTA 3.
Remember the V rated tyre has more tread than the W rated. Love these tyres ..

My rear CTA 3 has over 6k miles now and still good. I got 9k out of my last front CTA 3.
Remember the V rated tyre has more tread than the W rated. Love these tyres ..

Thats a note with remembering so thank you

I have used CTA in various forms over past few years, and personally think they are brilliant, have also tried michelins PR4 nightmare for punctures?? and metzelers roadtec, and CTA by far, gets a better mileage, in my experience, I can't speak for others, two rears to one front, my last rear was at 7,500 still had few mm left, but had a puncture that could not be repaired, lets not get on the "repair or not argument"

so I get around 8,500 from rear tyre, ride a lot of two up, and touring weight too, and I use "V" rating due to extra mm's
I suppose if you red line it from every traffic light, or heavy on the throttle, then the mileage will obviously be less,

Weazle... My findings exactly. Current CTA 3 has done two Euro trips, over 6k miles, it has meat left but heading to south Italy, ferry to Greece etc etc, so having to swap prematurely as it's probably not got another 4k miles in it. Brilliant tyres... really confidence inspiring

Been fine on my African Deux. So far they’ve done 3.5k around Europe and maybe 5k total. Worn by 2mm on the rear.

From memory there are two variants of certain sizes, with one having more tread depth (that’s the one I have).

Thanks for the input everybody. I don’t ride slow, I love the performance of the bike and I ride around The DalesNorthumberland/Scotland regularly which as people have mentioned can be technically tough on tyres,
the Contis are the best I’ve had on the bike so I’ll stick with them.

My tyre currently has about 7/8k on it and still has 3mm of tread or so. Whilst it is certainly more square than round, i'll see about 10K before it gets changed. It's also a V rated version which comes with 8mm of tread from new.

I really love these tyres, imho they are the best tyres I have had on the GS, for me they tick all the boxes. I suppose even if they do wear a little quicker than some other brands ( I’ve not noticed any difference in wear personally ) for the extra grip it’s well worth the trade off.

A agree Rockred. They don't square off too much either (on the rear) - having said that I'm not a "point and squirt" rider, just prefer flowing with the road... Grip, wear and confidence is excellent

My pal who I ride with a lot has just gone PR6 on his GS (we're off on a Euro trip soon) - I am keen to see the difference in wear rate etc... Having said that, he trashed a set of Metz Tourance Next 2 quicker than I wore my CTA3, but he's more aggressive on the throttle (he loves hearing his Akra pop on the quickshifter) whereas I'm a bit smoother (different riding habits)

Superb tyres; on my 3rd set on the 1290 SA-T and they have been flawless in the wet & dry and all kinds of road surface.

Back
Top Bottom