Continental Trail Attack 3 mileage

The CTA3s on my GSA are just past 5000 miles and the front is still like new and the rear is still above 5mm at its lowest point in the tread. The rear is just starting to show slight squaring. The mileage includes a Euro trip of around 2200 miles.
This is consistent with the set on my previous GSA, which I replaced at 7500 miles and that was due to the rear squaring off and giving a bit of tram-lining over some surfaces.

Just sorting out the crap driveshaft vent and checked my CTA 3s properly. They have covered 5400 miles now. The front is showing very minimal wear and with the rear wheel off, it is easier to get a more accurate tread depth reading with my vernier calliper. At its lowest point in the centre, it still has 6mm of tread depth. Amazing, as I’m no slouch.

I was out in the wet yesterday, and they performed faultlessly.

Just sorting out the crap driveshaft vent and checked my CTA 3s properly. They have covered 5400 miles now. The front is showing very minimal wear and with the rear wheel off, it is easier to get a more accurate tread depth reading with my vernier calliper. At its lowest point in the centre, it still has 6mm of tread depth. Amazing, as I’m no slouch.

I was out in the wet yesterday, and they performed faultlessly.
Amazing indeed. Assuming 7mm tread depth to start with, you have achieved 5400 miles and only worn off 1mm? At that rate you will have achieved 29,160 miles at the 1.6mm legal limit. You don’t carry the bike in the back of a van do you?
I’ve always reckoned on about 1000 miles per 1mm with the last 3 mm wearing slightly faster.
Alan R

Amazing indeed. Assuming 7mm tread depth to start with, you have achieved 5400 miles and only worn off 1mm? At that rate you will have achieved 29,160 miles at the 1.6mm legal limit. You don’t carry the bike in the back of a van do you?
I’ve always reckoned on about 1000 miles per 1mm with the last 3 mm wearing slightly faster.
Alan R

Just under 9mm when new

ct3 tyre

My rear squared off very quickly and no it was not motorway all the way. Front no problem. Disappointed

Solo riding only, 1250GS, c.4.5k miles on a V-rated CTA3, and the rear is 1mm from the wear bars. Heavily cupped, time to replace. Excellent tyres, but will be trying something different next.

My rear squared off very quickly and no it was not motorway all the way. Front no problem. Disappointed

Solo riding only, 1250GS, c.4.5k miles on a V-rated CTA3, and the rear is 1mm from the wear bars. Heavily cupped, time to replace. Excellent tyres, but will be trying something different next.

Try some Road attack, they’re just as sticky, not tried the RA4 yet but should be good

Try some Road attack, they’re just as sticky, not tried the RA4 yet but should be good

I have. RoadAttacks are poor in comparison. I actually took mine off after less than 1 tankful. The RoadAttacks are very slow turning in comparison to the TA3s.

I must be doing it wrong :rolleyes:

Depends how you ride. It sounds like you found good tyres for your riding style. For me, the RA3s were not a good option unless riding in a straight line. Just telling you my experience.

Depends how you ride. It sounds like you found good tyres for your riding style. For me, the RA3s were not a good option unless riding in a straight line. Just telling you my experience.

No worries, tires are very subjective, the TAs are quicker steering for sure, but I also find they track white lines a bit and the front is a tad floaty at speed in a straight line, swings and roundabouts I guess

I ride 2 up a lot of the time and with luggage, I’ve always found the grip totally reassuring on both models, even when well cranked over

about 5500 on mt TA3s, rear is at 3 mm and pretty squared off, front still good on depth and profile.
I like the tyres but one thing that struck me when i got the GS was how planted it felt on the motorway, really rock solid. That was with the original Bridgestones. The CTA3s do not have the same planted feeling.

Wow, there’s more than a few hero’s here.

Mine last as long as they last.

They grip, steer well and do what I need of a tyre. I’m not scorching them in 3000 miles or squaring them off in 5000 miles as I’m dead slow:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, but if I did, I couldn’t care less as long as they grip and keep the bike upright.

I’ve had one of these on the rear of my 16 plate GSA1200, it’s done 5000 miles and is now fairly squared off and will be knackered at 6000,tops. I’ve got nothing but praise for the handling/performance of the true but I’d hoped for a few more miles, just wondering what other people’s experiences of this brand are, particularly mileage. I’ve had 7000 miles out of a rear Tourance (original) before so that’s what I’m making comparisons with.

Wow, there’s more than a few hero’s here.

Mine last as long as they last.

They grip, steer well and do what I need of a tyre. I’m not scorching them in 3000 miles or squaring them off in 5000 miles as I’m dead slow:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:, but if I did, I couldn’t care less as long as they grip and keep the bike upright.

The OP asks for peoples' experience of TA3 mileage, and people reply. I don't think anyone here is being a hero? Clearly some get better mileage than others... the shortest being just 3000 miles, others longer. Everyone rides different, chill. One thing is for sure - the TA3s are great tyres.

The OP asks for peoples' experience of TA3 mileage, and people reply. I don't think anyone here is being a hero? Clearly some get better mileage than others... the shortest being just 3000 miles, others longer. Everyone rides different, chill. One thing is for sure - the TA3s are great tyres.

At last! Someone puts the OPs question into context instead of turning it into a willy waving competition! By the way, I am a recent convert to TA3s from Michelin PR5s. I have only done about 1000 miles on them so far but I am liking the way they perform on my Super Tenere.

I've had a set on for nearly a year now / 10K miles

Rear is down to 2.5mm (at lowest) - down from the 9mm when new
Front is down to 4 mm (at lowest) - down from the 7mm when new

Riding has been a mix of touring, weekend fun, commuting, Motorways etc etc.

Running cra3. Usually ‘around’ 5000 miles. Depends on the roads though. Last ones were well worn on the edges before the middle due to a Germany trip, followed by the Picos de Europa.
Very subjective anyway, as people ride differently, different loads, throttle abuse etc.
I will change tyres earlier if they have lost their shape, I cant see the point of spoiling a great handling bike by running tyres that have squared off at the back or are out of shape at the front.

Alan R

1mm legal limit

Back
Top Bottom