Bleedin Rear Wheel Bolts

iain1067

Reaction score
Ok so whilst the weather is hite out decided to do the rear kardan oil, stopped mightly in my tracks as I can't get the wheel bolts off, I have tried with a cheater bar on my socket extension but nothing moving more bending even tried supporting the extension on a trolly jack to stop it moving. So now it's soaking in penetrating oil and some love taps to see if that works overnight.

Any suggestions?? Heat??

Oh and did I tell you I took 3 hours to get the bloody oil filter off, yes 3 effin hours, I even have the right size oil filter removal tool it just span round on it and laughed at me, I then bought a chain type removal tool which promptly made a hole and a dent in the filter, it eventually gave way.

Sounds as if you have had a gorilla as a previous owner who has applied far too much power in tightening the nuts and oil filter

Depending when the wheels were last off, it could be a chemical bond between the bolts/wheel/hub which has secured them in place. Or the area has been subjected to a lot of heat & then big temperature drop, again causing the bolts to be majorly over tight.

Soaking it in penetration fluid for a few days will hopefully help.

A piece of emery paper between the oil filter and the removal tool works wonders.

Thanks to Steptoe for that tip.

I had an issue with rear wheel bolts. In the end the lads in the local garage loosened them for me, using an air gun first then a socket and bar with a 6ft extension, that cracked them off. I bought new bolts to go back in.

Thanks for tip on emery paper for the oil filter that sounds like a gem, as for the wheel bolts I borrowed a friends impact wrench i manage to get one free with that, the others didn't budge and then the battery kinda went half flat. So used his half inch sq drive T50 socket on my breaker bar low and behold they came off quite easily, no real sign off corrosion so just highly torqued no damage anywhere else either

As said before check the flange very carefully as the original ones were prone to cracking if the bolts were overtightened

I was reading the similar story about a shock bolt not wanting to come off.... I haven't found a single bolt on my bike I'd say was tight - sounds like people using a 25 year old broken penknife are finding its less successful than owning a decent set of tools

Worth checking your rear wheel flange once the wheel is removed for cracking especially if someone has over tourqued your wheelnuts.

The Hexheads had a recall for this. https://www.bmwmoa.org/news/221511/BMW-to-issue-rear-wheel-flange-recall-on-43K-bikes.htm

they used to have a crack all day long set up made of alloy - recall to deliberately destroy the bevel with interesting replacement of a steel hub - that delightfully seems to modify any reasonable backlash u might want in the right place ... I think it afflicted all shaft drive BM bikes up to at least 2012

Back
Top Bottom