While your in Peak district area

MickDB1

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If yer get bored and want to go somewhere different. Try the Keham Island Museum.
It may be the only thing in centre of Sheffield worth visiting, access is easy and parking for your bike and car next to entrance.

Me and Janet went to the Kelham Island Museum near centre of Sheffield.
What a lovely way to spend 3 or more hrs.
There is a mahooosive 1905 steam powered beam engine (used in Titanic film)
Its fired up every wed thurs fri sat and sunday at 1200 and 1400 the 60 ton flywheel is spun @ 120RPM clockwise then in a matter of 3 seconds
stops and revolves counter clockwise.
Truly impressive. There is loads of FREE parking for bikes and cars around back of museum and its FREE entrance = chuck a bit in box for the gas if yer like

And its warm and there is a cafe bar adjacent to it !!!!! :thumby: :thumby:

https://www.sheffieldmuseums.org.uk/visit-us/kelham-island-museum/

If yer get bored and want to go somewhere different. Try the Keham Island Museum.
It may be the only thing in centre of Sheffield worth visiting, access is easy and parking for your bike and car next to entrance.

Its fired up every wed thurs fri sat and sunday at 1200 and 1400 the 60 ton flywheel is spun @ 120RPM clockwise then in a matter of 3 seconds
Truly impressive. There is loads of FREE parking for bikes and cars around back of museum and its FREE entrance = chuck a bit in box for the gas if yer like

You forgot to mention the KTM dealers SMC just down the Derek Dooley way for those with the Orange gene;:beerjug:

Sounds interesting Mick, I’ll go there, might meet up with the bear, and have a beer or two afterwards.Thanks for posting.

You forgot to mention the KTM dealers SMC just down the Derek Dooley way for those with the Orange gene;:beerjug:

....and you forgot to mention the KTM dealers are also Ducati dealers. ;)

....or the Fat Cat and Kelham Island Tavern, proper real ale pubs. :beer:

I agree, the Museum is well worth a visit. :thumb2

....and you forgot to mention the KTM dealers are also Ducati dealers. ;)

....or the Fat Cat and Kelham Island Tavern, proper real ale pubs. :beer:

I agree, the Museum is well worth a visit. :thumb2

Cheers TT my bad for missing them;:beerjug:

What a lovely way to spend 3 or more hrs.:

IIRC it was used as a rolling mill for armour plate - bet you didn’t realize I was that old!:D

Kelham Island

My neighbour saved it from being scrapped and was instrumental in getting it installed in the museum, there is a plaque on the wall describing this, sadly he was injured in a car accident and succumbed to his injuries.

Attachments

• D9157633-4950-4E88-BDB9-C1748604F6B2.jpg
    D9157633-4950-4E88-BDB9-C1748604F6B2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 194
Popped back yesterday to have a natter with Mike the "guide/helper"
He let us into the saw shop
1500 different saws mostly "Made in Shefield"

He didnt know about Tommy Wards ELEPHANT - True Tale - Thomas Ward chap got one to help along during first world war collecting scrap and a natures fork truck
Her Name was Lizzie
She had some leather shoes made for her too to save her feet/soles
here Mike getting in shot with my lovely missis

Attachments

• 20230202_111417.jpg
    20230202_111417.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 160

Sorry I meant working proper in a steel mill - not running as in museum- its running 1200hrs and 1400hrs just for 10 mins thurs fri sat sun

Cheers Mick; good post; whilst we're in the Peak District section a little bit of bad news; another decent little stop finished;:tears; no doubt there will be a few on here sat outside with a brew and cake at some time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230204-152459.jpg
    Screenshot_20230204-152459.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 92
  • Screenshot_20230205-175605.jpg
    Screenshot_20230205-175605.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 92
Thats a bugger. I can recommend cowshed cafe just out of Millers dale

I'am thinking that's the farm on the right just around the right hander as you head down to the river; will give it a look Mick;:beerjug:

I'am thinking that's the farm on the right just around the right hander as you head down to the river; will give it a look Mick;:beerjug:

It is. Relatively recent addition to the farm cafe collective. Food was okay when we went, staff friendly, don’t lean too hard on the throttle when accessing the car park;)

Back
Top Bottom