Engine Oil

js46

Stew
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hello,
The recommended engine oil for the 1200 gsa LC (2017) is 5-40. Would there be any issues if 15-40 oil was used?
Many thanks.

i wouldnt use a 15w ,,,maybe a 10w if your stuck , but 15 too thick from cold, cant you get the recomended 5w ?

Thanks for your reply.the reason for the query is that I have a full 4L of 15-40 sitting on the shelf and was just checking if it could be used.
I seem to recall 15-40 being used on the pre LC engine but I may have that wrong.
Thanks again.

I'd always stick with the recommended oil, no point risking warranty etc for the sake of saving a few pounds.

Hello, I totally agree with your point regarding compromising the bikes warranty, and my bikes which are still under warranty get serviced by the Main Dealers. However, once free to do your own servicing there must be a range of specific oils produced by reputable companies that can be safely used.

15w/40 is absolutely fine for the U.K.

If you look at the temperature range of that oil. Unless you're planning a trip to the arctic circle in winter ??

5W is fine upto -40
15W is fine upto -25.

Personally, I'm not starting my bike engine unless it's +5. And I'm not riding it until it's +10 :rolleyes:

Arguably, the smaller difference between the Winter weight and the operating rate, the better some say the oil is. But with modern synthetic oil technology being what it is, it's not really worth worrying about.

15w/40 is absolutely fine for the U.K.

If you look at the temperature range of that oil. Unless you're planning a trip to the arctic circle in winter ??

5W is fine upto -40
15W is fine upto -25.

Personally, I'm not starting my bike engine unless it's +5. And I'm not riding it until it's +10 :rolleyes:

Arguably, the smaller difference between the Winter weight and the operating rate, the better some say the oil is. But with modern synthetic oil technology being what it is, it's not really worth worrying about.

There you go, and if you have any future problems you can say that you read it on the internet! :nenau

The bmw r1200gs lc hand book page 223 states 5W40 - other viscosities might be ok but BMW are specific.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 19.45.13.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 19.45.13.png
    103.7 KB · Views: 319
It doesn't say they 'might be okay'.

It recommends 5W40 because their aventec 'ultimate' fully synthetic motorrad oil only comes in that grade. And that's the only fully synthetic oil their dealers are allowed to sell.

So it advises you to buy their own very expensive oil but it also lets you know that you can use a whole range of other oils quite safely.

The W number has no relevance once the engine is warm anyway.

I'd use that. It's to spec.

With my tradecard that's £26 for five litres. BMW oil is £60 for four litres. And I would happily put that Halfrods oil in a brand new GS and warranty the engine. This insanity about paying a fortune for fancy bottles when the oil is exactly the same as what's in a cheaper bottle.

The oil is independently rated. It's stamped on the frigging bottle.

BMW don't make their own oil. It used to be Castrol (power 1). And then BMW said that you must use that use in their bikes.

Then BMW did a deal with Shell and hey ho, now you must use that oil in their bikes.

I'm like a broken record with this. But BMW themselves tell you that you don't need to use their dealer network to maintain a warranty. Not do you have to use their BMW oil. But you must use their filter (which is a Mahl)

With my tradecard that's £26 for five litres. BMW oil is £60 for four litres. And I would happily put that Halfrods oil in a brand new GS and warranty the engine. This insanity about paying a fortune for fancy bottles when the oil is exactly the same as what's in a cheaper bottle.

The oil is independently rated. It's stamped on the frigging bottle.

BMW don't make their own oil. It used to be Castrol (power 1). And then BMW said that you must use that use in their bikes.

Then BMW did a deal with Shell and hey ho, now you must use that oil in their bikes.

I'm like a broken record with this. But BMW themselves tell you that you don't need to use their dealer network to maintain a warranty. Not do you have to use their BMW oil. But you must use their filter (which is a Mahl)

You don’t have to use the BMW brand but best to follow the the specification.

Interesting comments, the majority view seems to be as long as the oil (cheap or otherwise) meets or the recommended specification or higher then it is OK.

Interesting comments, the majority view seems to be as long as the oil (cheap or otherwise) meets or the recommended specification or higher then it is OK.

were you expecting a different consensus?

I find it interesting that someone needs affirmation from the internet for something that is axiomatic

Back
Top Bottom